Pandamonic's Sketchbook
Hello, welcome to my sketchbook! Thank you for stopping by. Any comments, feedback, and critiques are greatly appreciated.
[Deviantart]

Quick dump of some studies from the past.
[Image: skull_by_pandamonic-d55a8ga.png]
[Image: skull_profile_by_pandamonic-d55a6ki.png]
[Image: facial_muscles_profile_diagram_by_pandam...55a5qu.png]

Current WIP studies

Back from several weeks hiatus! I was gone because I was starting college. Still not completely used to being in this new place...At least there's fancy architecture for me to sketch. There's been so much going on that its been hard for me to find alone time to draw :<
Hope to get started on studies again as soon as possible.

Attached Files Image(s)

Current WIP...having difficulty with composition and even deciding on a focal point. Also trying to decide on design of the structure to place in upper right. Also getting sick of staring at this color scheme. Suggestions appreciated.

Attached Files Image(s)

Icons from a simulation/game project I've been working on. Its a world made of hexagon tiles with critters, plants, and rocks. Plants can pop up randomly. Critters can move around and perform certain actions (eating, attacking, reproducing or budding) When critters die they turn into food.
...I like the rock the most, it looks yummy. SeriouslyitsthebestrockI'veevermadeguys--

Attached Files Image(s)

Two fabric studies I forgot to post, the green one (silk) is from 10/4/2012 and the blue one (velvet) is from 12/12/2012. I'll try to list what I learned, but its been a while since I made them.
-Start dark and go to light, especially with shinier fabrics
-Texture brushes are useful, don't limit yourself so much that you feel you're not allowed to experiment

The architecture exterior study is from yesterday, the things I learned from it involved techniques for texturing and detailing.
Trees:
-Painting a mass of trees/forest quickly feels most natural when painting in strokes following the direction of the mountain rather than dabbing around...
-That is, it looks better when painting as if painting ground texture, rather than painting as if painting clouds, at least for me.
Architecture details:
-Not as mindless and relaxing as texturing, pay attention and know what you're doing
-Challenge is to be quick but accurate
-Keep the big picture in mind

(These photostudies are all prompts from http://speedpaintstudies.deviantart.com/ )

Attached Files Image(s)

Massive sketch dump of everything from February to May, from the Pirates of the Stratosphere project. You can see finished artwork for the game [here] and you can play it for free [here] (no account needed).

This is how I wanted the style and feeling of the user interface to be like. Also has some projectile ideas on the page.

The big three are studies of different types of ships and their proportions. I kept going until I had enough understanding of how the ropes crisscrossing everywhere connect to masts and different parts of the ship, which was knowledge that I needed to feel comfortable enough to begin designing from imagination. The smaller ships are where I start getting more creative.

Dirigibles were the most difficult to design. How do you make a dirigible, which has a plain exterior, design wise, look interesting? I gathered lots of reference and lots of inspiration, then made these thumbnails. Lots of thumbnails. Just gotta make enough terrible designs, mistakes, and happy accidents until you have enough options and can use the best parts.

The first balloon I see as a government propaganda balloon, the second as a merchant's balloon, and the third as a lower class civilian balloon. The hot air balloons were the last ship type I designed, by then I was fairly comfortable with the design process. Watch documentaries about the subject you're designing, it helps alot. It gives you historical and functional background about your subject (the reason x looks like this is so it can do y, others tried ones that looked like z and this is why it didn't work...etc) and that knowledge will help you design things that have some basis in reality.

The sky pirate, Fausto! I wanted to have him doing somersaults, backflips, and breakdancing in mid air while being launched from ship to ship in the game. Turns out, that's a crazy amount of animation and there wasn't time... Alas.

Hey good studies, keep em coming !
A suggestion about those figure drawings, draw through the form, it'll help you a lot to visualize the form in 3D space ;)

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
-Lao Tzu

Blog | Sketchbook | dA
(06-23-2013, 09:09 AM)Heavenwill Wrote: Hey good studies, keep em coming !
A suggestion about those figure drawings, draw through the form, it'll help you a lot to visualize the form in 3D space ;)

Hey, thanks for the tip!

Studies for my Samurai vs Mechs project. Wanted to do this before Summer Pitch was announced, and now that it has, I have even more reason to be serious about seeing this through to the end.

for http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3206.html

Pixellovely animal gesture drawing

From The Last Samurai movie