need a second set of eyes
Hi i have been working on a fan art for a novel - i've been working on the face quite a while and I am not sure if i can still look at it objectively ... even with mirroring the image ,

iam still far off from finished with the whole piece though i'd like some input - before i waste my time on something i should have seen had i not lost my objective view >.<

[Image: IMU6Z.jpg]
[Image: X199U.jpg]

update - i think iam kinda ok with his proportions now ; though i still want to make him look a tad younger ; and refine is mimic to be less generic / somehow deeper - advice / opinion are welcome
first pass on color - mostly overlay ( and it kinda shows ) ... ye so next up ; more sophisticated hair / clothes / general polish

[Image: c4jn7.jpg]
I suggest more edge variation. Right now, the figure looks like he was cut out and pasted onto another page. This blog can explain it better than I can but basically what you want to do is use edges to lead the viewer where you want to look. To me it's mostly the outer edges "the outline of the figure" that is distracting. The ear looks off too.

http://stapletonkearns.blogspot.com/2009...edges.html
First thing I see is the hat is a little weird. Do some hat studies, buy or borrow a similar hat and take reference photos. Nice work!

(09-27-2012, 10:32 AM)AaronJordan Wrote: First thing I see is the hat is a little weird. Do some hat studies, buy or borrow a similar hat and take reference photos. Nice work!

thanks for advice - i stepped away from the piece for a while and when i read your hat comment i just facepalmed when reviewed it on my piece ;

i always had the impression that the bending of the hat would produce a result ; as can be seen in my previous "sketches" ; but generally speaking i was just wrong ; my angles also did not convey any kind of bending ; yet i drew it as if i could see the upper side and the downside.

funny how i can train my perception to accept that kind of BS if you just sit long enough in front of a sketch ...

anyway here is a version with some quick and dirty changes ; i wont say "fixes" because I am more uncertain about the result than ever ... maybe i change the the position of the hat further though the planes of the hat should be alright i guess ...

that being said iam open for more advice / overpainting
[Image: xSaXV.jpg]
There is something about the placement of his ear.
Try going through loomis or something similar and check your features with grid lines - And use that opportunity to check the perspective of the head/hat, it is supposed to wrap around his head :)

Or better yet... Do the pose wearing a hat and all, take a photo and post it!