Vorseth the noob's Random Art blog
Hey Everyone :), I'm Jace, I'm only new to digital artwork, about 11 weeks i think :) still getting the hang of this tablet..
Tools for all my stuff.. I would like to be a Concept artist one day.. but for now i'd like to share my stuff and get any CC from all you incredible artists! :D
PS CS5
Wacom Intuos 5

Ill just post my stuff randomly.. http://vorseth.deviantart.com/

PLEASE Criticize my work.. I really need it so i can grow and become a better artist! :)
6 Hours
[Image: swamp_stalker_finished_by_vorseth-d5hyvax.jpg]
20 minutes
[Image: violent_transformation_by_vorseth-d5hz2b0.jpg]

MOre to come as i do it :)
about 1 hour
[Image: cheeky_skele_pirate_by_vorseth-d5i2hkm.jpg]
about 1.5 hours.. man time flys when you're drawing heheh
[Image: skull_by_vorseth-d5i2jzi.jpg]

Thanks for viewing :)
Hi Jace, and welcome!
I suggest you to start doing daily studies from now on.
For example, your Chtulu like creature will look much better if you apply to his design more human anatomy knowledge.
Also, try starting on black and white to get your values right, study classical paintings, see movies, etc...
and keep this updated!

(10-17-2012, 07:32 AM)EduardoGaray Wrote: Hi Jace, and welcome!
I suggest you to start doing daily studies from now on.
For example, your Chtulu like creature will look much better if you apply to his design more human anatomy knowledge.
Also, try starting on black and white to get your values right, study classical paintings, see movies, etc...
and keep this updated!

Hey Thats mate, thanks for the advice! I find "studies" very difficult as i just can't wrap my head around light...and i find whenever i start in B&W when i go to color it the colors look washed out and bland.. Not sure what im doing wrong, I've watched lots of vids where artists do the whole thing in color so that's what i'd been doing.

Can you give me any links to vids or tutorials showing how to color from B&W? Most vids they just draw and you can't see what tools/settings they use.. it's frustrating! lol

Many thanks !

Jace.
no prob mate.
Doing studies is the only way to really improve trust me, doing daily studies was the original reason of the crimson daggers after all! :)
When you start in Black and white, you must add colors (for example) with a new layer in overlay mode, but that only works for the basic coloring on the image.
You must start painting in color after that.
If you want tutorials of that technique i recommend you to watch any of the videotutorials from Daarken.

(10-17-2012, 09:00 AM)EduardoGaray Wrote: no prob mate.
Doing studies is the only way to really improve trust me, doing daily studies was the original reason of the crimson daggers after all! :)
When you start in Black and white, you must add colors (for example) with a new layer in overlay mode, but that only works for the basic coloring on the image.
You must start painting in color after that.
If you want tutorials of that technique i recommend you to watch any of the videotutorials from Daarken.

Thankyou Very much! I found his website, looks great! So your saying as a "study" i should copy ... say.. Photos? Of people Etc..

Here is one i did a few weeks ago.
[Image: some_girl_by_vorseth-d5cajxa.png]
[Image: silhouette_by_vorseth-d5i5q9w.jpg]
well yeah, when you are doing a study you must try to understand what are you copying.
It more a process of understanding than copy.

[Image: demon_dog_sketch_by_vorseth-d5i62iu.jpg]
2 hours John Lennon Study - Still shit at hair.. :P Used Photo Reference.. learning lighting and color

[Image: JohnLennon1-1.jpg]
Any Crit would be muchly appreciated :)
Some Carrion feeding bird i made up :P
30 minute sketch + about 2 hours of frigging around with colors..
I'm finding that when i colour something it's always Too much or too little colour..
Normal procedure is as follows:
1. Sketch in B&W
2. Overlay layer with color
3. Soft light layer with highlights
4. Normal layer with speculars

Am i doing it right or is there something im missing? Cheers! Jace.
[Image: carrion_stalk__d_by_vorseth-d5ip1jn.jpg]
[Image: alien__by_vorseth-d5isi8y.jpg]

Another attempt at doing shiny/wet/specular skin.. Failed lol
A study and some sketches :)

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1615925&d=1351167267]
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1615926&d=1351167428]
A 3 hour WIP :) this is fun, have to darken the rear of the neck still but as you can see a wip.

[Image: the_daily_grind___wip___by_vorseth-d5mfbli.jpg]
These are pretty awesome man, im pumped to see the latest wip!
(01-31-2013, 01:48 AM)Nusku Wrote: These are pretty awesome man, im pumped to see the latest wip!

Finished version here buddy :)
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-1...l#pid18753

Here is something i did recently :)
[Image: hoarder_of_the_shinies_by_vorseth-d5q4tio.jpg]