ThereIsNoJustice's Sketchbook
WIP of planetside guy illustration, and some fun doodle. [Image: tumblr_p5tsbtEjoL1r4ltwho1_1280.png][Image: tumblr_p6r01kr0BU1r4ltwho1_1280.png][Image: tumblr_p6qjv6EDhR1r4ltwho1_1280.png]

wip continues, some imagination pose practice as well.

I think studying the separate parts of the figure may help a lot w/ imagination poses. The individual parts here are mostly from ref of simplified 3d models I isolated and turned in blender. Going to continue with this idea, but if there aren't improvements I'm definitely going back to the idea of mostly ref.

[Image: tumblr_p77u4iNd6Y1r4ltwho1_1280.png]

[Image: tumblr_p77u4iNd6Y1r4ltwho2_1280.png]

wip continues. More value separation, little bit more render. 
[Image: tumblr_p79sxqy7QN1r4ltwho1_1280.png]

love that imagination pose practice

@dangelo: Thanks for stopping by!

Today I went back to brushes, cleared out any that didn't feel really controllable, and made them all work the same. Study was done with these brushes. Essentially, turn everything off except transfer. I also started rotating the brush more to avoid that 'same shape everywhere' look.

[Image: tumblr_p83by09i9g1r4ltwho1_540.png]

I'd say wrap your brushstrokes around the short cross section of the forms instead of down the longer ones. At least that's what everyone seems to do. Probably because you have more control that way and it's easier to draw short cross sections rather than long ones. It also has a nice sense of contrast, direction of strokes at right angles to long direction of overall form

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
@Amit: Yeah, I hadn't planned on bringing that to a total finish. I would use more textural looking brushes and cover my tracks more. Start with the brushes that make the most sense with the light, then establish the textural characteristics of the surface form. Below is the general idea.

I want to paint this statue thing from a few more angles and I'll make sure to whip out the texture brushes.

[Image: tumblr_p863sl4po41r4ltwho1_1280.png]

You have some very nice studies in here bro! Hoping to see more. Your paintings are well done! *goes back to lurking* :)

One more of these and I think I'll have figured out how to best use my new top secret brushes.

[Image: tumblr_p8rcatIcbW1r4ltwho1_1280.png]

I really despise faces today. This girl's mouth more than anything.

[Image: tumblr_p8stocnjVu1r4ltwho1_500.png]

[Image: tumblr_p8stocnjVu1r4ltwho2_540.png]

that sequence of figure abstractions turning in space is sick. I've been having trouble with that kind of thing myself
Faces  Rolling eyes, funny thought

[Image: tumblr_p8ufhqJtz61r4ltwho1_1280.png]
[Image: tumblr_p8ul3pzU991r4ltwho1_1280.png]

Party

[Image: tumblr_p8wahsXJDP1r4ltwho1_1280.png]
[Image: tumblr_p8wvh6LwHu1r4ltwho1_1280.png]

A lot of today reading / watching art stuff.

Whenever I get back to things I have to go through predictable phases now. First phase is strict measuring. Second angles. Third being able to just look at things and get them pretty close. Then finally that "drawing is actually sculpture" unlocks. And it's awful, so no more breaks.

Here's a Krenz worksheet for rotating a construction subject. Made it today in blender, thought it would be good to have a very technically accurate reference as opposed to relying on photos of cubish objects, or going into blender every time. Each cube is rotated by ten degrees difference, so you have 10 degree rotation right, 20 degree rotation right, 30, etc. Obviously it's also orthographic so there's no perspective distortion. I used it to doodle some heads. It's a good way to start exercising those 3D muscles, and do some relative perspective stuff. Highly recommend this if you have a few minutes to sketch. Also works as a photoshop brush so it's always handy.

[Image: tumblr_p8ytkbClJ61r4ltwho1_1280.png]

[Image: tumblr_p8y7keBH9o1r4ltwho1_1280.png]

Some ideas on pushing slightly past that advice to use straights, curves, and s's. A just slightly more complex line has a lot more ability to create a more interesting design. This is probably quite obvious to people who do a lot of clean line work, but my goal has always been painting.

And some sword-lady sketches. There's a friendly event going on with some friends where we are going to all create sword people by Sunday.

[Image: tumblr_p9075oH9Q61r4ltwho1_1280.png]
[Image: tumblr_p92kkpOuYC1r4ltwho1_1280.png]

Really loving that you're putting time into the basics. I actually need to do some more of those perspective/rotation type studies.

Gestures came out lovely too. #6 especially ;D

Should have masked this at the end for the background bit, but was in a hurry.

The next theme is space ship and/or space ship commander. 

[Image: tumblr_p9kis0tW2L1r4ltwho1_1280.png]

Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.

It's really hard to make out with this last image, but I think the perspective/proportions on torso may need tweaking.

Desquolor, yeah I've had someone else crit and they said something similar. Seems I was too faithful to the ref, and needed to indicate that the pelvis is coming back and probably bend the spine some more. 

This thing here is done. Considered softening a bunch more edges but it's fine. Now thinking about the next planetside / some other thing. If I do another PS piece I won't be using much ref from the game. Trying to recreate the specific location and armor in this was pretty restricting, and in the end probably didn't make it a better piece for the trouble.

[Image: AvrZNRR.jpg]

Edges and mess are the never-ending problem.

Super fast space things just for the weekly fun drawing w/ friends. Then a messy painting. Then that ear again, trying to stay clean and just forget about texture for now. Maybe add texture later?

[Image: tumblr_p9pv0d23Gf1r4ltwho1_1280.png]

[Image: tumblr_p9xwas3jMA1r4ltwho1_1280.png]

[Image: tumblr_pa8zvyC8St1r4ltwho1_1280.png]