Sketch thingys :P
So I decided to practice with my new painterly looking brush, and loosen up, so I made what I imagine my character from the brutal bastards would look like realistically test run, and this is what did in 40 minutes kept it the same style as comic book only using black white and red, decided to go with a 3 point lighting system on it too[Image: 706212_568181489862781_134961230_o.jpg]

Did some more shit today lol zambies and cyclops felt like painting them so I did haha trynna get a more looser feel to the paintings [Image: 740651_582578658423064_351101498_o.jpg] [Image: 737950_582487778432152_819118651_o.jpg]

Some anatomy and other studies I've been doing recently, sorry for not being active lately had alot of client work and been teaching more lately hope you enjoy these[Image: 858767_606663502681246_2022658877_o.jpg][Image: 858013_606698229344440_1699682461_o.jpg][Image: 812546_606648582682738_1879206029_o.jpg][Image: 317938_588237861190477_1345226692_n.jpg][Image: 859529_605579046123025_1400719455_o.jpg]
And this last one was a lizard lady splice that I did for my photoshop class, this is not matte painting or photo edit, this is a ful on render from gray to color took a long long time to pull it all together but I hope you enjoy it, it was def a test and I learned many new things[Image: 856881_609737845707145_87240836_o.jpg]

sheeessshh bro!!! there is some sick stuff going on here!!! i love it. your traditional skills are really awesome and your creatures. im going to try and find you on da. lets push each other
sweet I'm down for it man, my deviant art is on the bottom of my replies :)

Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook, you've got a nice range of stuff going yourself. You mention students in a number of posts, its good to hear you giving back to fellow artists with your time and expertise.

Lovely texture in your studies/personal work. Push those compositions more, I saw in an earlier piece with a dragon that the directional midline of the dragons snout was turned more towards us as, where it felt it might read more directly if the dragon was facing down the sword wielding figure.

I've got you watched on other places too, hope to see new works from you. :D

Did some Post apocalyptic executioner concepts, tried a new style in which I leave the line work with painting, this is very loose not any thing fully rendered, cause I'm doing a executioner piece in a mad max type setting, so I thought I would design a few, let me know guys which one I should pick or mix elements of any together :)[Image: 856099_614637671883829_1379119018_o.jpg]

Nice stuff in here Nick, I really like all your different doodle sand creatures. I think you should work a little on value though. Some of your stuff seems to look a little too high contrasty where theres super bright whites and then really dark shadows. Try to balance it out more, but again, really cool stuff :)

thanks mate, that is my style, I know how to do values, but I enjoy the stronger contrast, it almost gives it a 3d look to me, or catches the eye from thumbnail view, but thank you anyways I will try to balance out things in the future :D

Did a panda warrior concept, same style as last where I leave the line art, I will go back and fully render it leaving the line art out, but for basic concept I think it does it's job [Image: 857624_616832671664329_1972425922_o.jpg]

Doing some weapon concepts for some people, here's the final concept with some included stats on the grenade[Image: sweet_sally_gas_grenade_concept_by_nickh...5x795l.png]

Damn man! Whered that panda design come from!? Sick as.

One tip (that im still trying to get the hang of) I learned from Daniel Chavez I think it was... don't break up areas of light with too many dark spots. Loving the painterly style on the pieces though. Looking forward to seeing more!

The panda design came out of my head lol wanted to push myself in thinking more broader in a sense if character design, and thanks man I agree I need to work on that :)

Niiice sketchbook man!

So, I hope this is helpful and not intruding, but I just received this feedback here at the workshop and it DID help me, so why not share right?
I was going from black to white too fast on my own studies. Lowering the contrast on local areas of the piece, and on some materials actually made it look better - much better. Reserve black and white to the overall darkest/lightest area on your painting, use more midtone grays, and keep it consistent!

Hope it helps, love the Panda!

(03-09-2013, 01:35 AM)Ursula Dorada Wrote: Niiice sketchbook man!

So, I hope this is helpful and not intruding, but I just received this feedback here at the workshop and it DID help me, so why not share right?
I was going from black to white too fast on my own studies. Lowering the contrast on local areas of the piece, and on some materials actually made it look better - much better. Reserve black and white to the overall darkest/lightest area on your painting, use more midtone grays, and keep it consistent!

Hope it helps, love the Panda!

Thanks, if you refer to the executioner doodles I actually did that, I really only save the bright whites for rim light or on high fresnal metals, but I get the gist of what you mean, and I'm def improving on it :) and I never go full black, it might look like it but the lowest I go on black is 80%

Hey Nick, the panda concept is pretty awesome. Also I think with some of your sketches the textures are a bit too prominent (Rhino for example), I think They'd look a lot nicer if you blended them in a bit more. Keep us updated!

Sketchbook ▲  Website ▲ TwitterArtStation ▲ Twitch ▲

(03-09-2013, 09:24 AM)Jonesoda Wrote: Hey Nick, the panda concept is pretty awesome. Also I think with some of your sketches the textures are a bit too prominent (Rhino for example), I think They'd look a lot nicer if you blended them in a bit more. Keep us updated!

True but given they were just warm up doodles like 45 minutes I'm not gonna worry about it, that's the stuff I saved for finished renders :)

This is a steampunk retailing of Oz, it was for an assignment, now this is typically not my art style but I thought I'd try something new in a more playful approach I think it turned out alright, decided to go with a monochromatic approach, hope you enjoy :)[Image: 883669_620764207937842_1721779469_o.jpg]

man that study in post #20 came out great!!
You seem to be relying a lot on textures and custom brushes in your personal work which in itself is not a problem at all but in your case you seem to be losing the focus of showing the actual form of the subject you're painting.
you might want to try to take the textures back a little and get your focus back on form, adding textures later in the process when the whole thing already reads as a 3dimensional object in space. When you get the hang out of that you can do whatever you want, adding the textures right in the beginning if you like but for where you are now I thing structuring your process in a way that leaves the texturing part to a later stage of the painting process would benefit your paintings quite a bit.

btw. in that great portrait in post #20 you did not overload the thing with textrues (well mainly because there aren't any harsh textures in the skin) and the whole thing reads really nicely as a 3 dimensional form, which shows that you know how to actually show form but tend to kill it a little bit in your personal stuff with all the rough texturing going on.

So yea maybe take it a little easier on those textures and keep on rocking, man :)
(03-16-2013, 07:09 AM)gloominati Wrote: man that study in post #20 came out great!!
You seem to be relying a lot on textures and custom brushes in your personal work which in itself is not a problem at all but in your case you seem to be losing the focus of showing the actual form of the subject you're painting.
you might want to try to take the textures back a little and get your focus back on form, adding textures later in the process when the whole thing already reads as a 3dimensional object in space. When you get the hang out of that you can do whatever you want, adding the textures right in the beginning if you like but for where you are now I thing structuring your process in a way that leaves the texturing part to a later stage of the painting process would benefit your paintings quite a bit.

btw. in that great portrait in post #20 you did not overload the thing with textrues (well mainly because there aren't any harsh textures in the skin) and the whole thing reads really nicely as a 3 dimensional form, which shows that you know how to actually show form but tend to kill it a little bit in your personal stuff with all the rough texturing going on.

So yea maybe take it a little easier on those textures and keep on rocking, man :)

Thank you soo much very helpful, the reason for the textures is just a personal style I do understand form and shape, but I reallu love a gritty rough look when it comes to creatures, but I do know exactly what you mean, and I will work on that, thank you for taking time to look and reply, made my day good sir :)

Many different anatomy studies of the night, focusing on different muscle groups, their flexors, and extensions, movement, and shapes and forms :) [Image: 208622_624415667572696_234040244_n.jpg]

My Fantasy Book Illustration so Far, It's called "Tales of Vanguard" :) this is a WIp I still got more I want to do for the assignment[Image: 893399_623855324295397_1239433251_o.jpg]

love the anatomy studies :)

The WIP is looking good too, eagerly anticipating the finish :)