My Personal Sketchbook
Finally decided to put one up!

A character I designed for a Star Wars fan fiction. The armor deviates from the traditional pure white of standard stormtrooper armor because this is a field commander.

Dropping in to ruin your day!

Attached Files Image(s)

After a day of frustration and trashing studies, finally produced this:

Attached Files Image(s)

Tonight's study. Weak with portraits and faces; gotta keep working at it.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice studies. The storm trooper is pretty sweet and the textures on those spheres are awesome. Keep the studies coming :D!
hey syntax

quick crit , you need to work on your values and mark-making esspecially with your edges,

with the girl study you have that samey muddy digital material every where because your not varying your edges or pushing your values and using the wrong brushes for the wrong purposes.

on the girl you used a soft brush to paint a hard outline, you kinda know some programatical painting tricks like you used dodge or color dodge to hit the highlights in her hair and the metal studies but beware those tricks will damage your painting than help it becuase i really blast everything to white and blows out the color tempreture so yh.. use it sparingly

so yh dude work on your drawing and values i suggest hitting the loomis books, all 6 of them are free pdfs online google dat shit.
[Image: Andrew_Loomis_books_by_QuicheLoraine.png][Image: Loomis_Andrew_Figure_Drawing_For_All_Its_Worth.jpg]
for value check out my sketchbook follow the value study form scot robertsons mate suface rendering dvds

look forward to seeing your stuff man

oh and move out the mid-west loool :P

(12-30-2012, 06:42 AM)iggytek Wrote: hey syntax

quick crit , you need to work on your values and mark-making esspecially with your edges,

with the girl study you have that samey muddy digital material every where because your not varying your edges or pushing your values and using the wrong brushes for the wrong purposes.

on the girl you used a soft brush to paint a hard outline, you kinda know some programatical painting tricks like you used dodge or color dodge to hit the highlights in her hair and the metal studies but beware those tricks will damage your painting than help it becuase i really blast everything to white and blows out the color tempreture so yh.. use it sparingly

so yh dude work on your drawing and values i suggest hitting the loomis books, all 6 of them are free pdfs online google dat shit.
[Image: Andrew_Loomis_books_by_QuicheLoraine.png][Image: Loomis_Andrew_Figure_Drawing_For_All_Its_Worth.jpg]
for value check out my sketchbook follow the value study form scot robertsons mate suface rendering dvds

look forward to seeing your stuff man

oh and move out the mid-west loool :P

Thanks! Yeah, I've been told that. I have some issues when it comes to edges and I think I have a tough time understanding when to apply a hard brush in many cases.

I've looked at the loomis books too; actually my pencil studies are much better than my digital stuff. I start to lose form when I start rendering, especially with people. I'll post some of my pencil stuff and you'll immmediately notice the difference.

And yes, I am guilty of using color dodge for lighting. Trying to tone that down a bit as well.

Appreciate the crit!

Couldn't leave it be. Tried to get the facial planes to look proper this time.

Also, I hate noses. -.-

(12-30-2012, 04:25 AM)Majinpower Wrote: Nice studies. The storm trooper is pretty sweet and the textures on those spheres are awesome. Keep the studies coming :D!

Thank you! I definitely will.

Attached Files Image(s)

Dark Western

Something quick and fun... happy new year, Daggers! :)