Why does it look like a cartoon? Mechanical drafter needs drawing instructions
I am a beginner, and I can't get my teacher to answer my questions, I don't think I'm asking them correctly, so I'll try and explain and hope someone understands. I have 2 problems, shading, coloring, adding tonal value (pretty much when I color in the drawing) and 2) my drawings always look like cartoons. I think the 2 problems are related.

From what I understand, cartoonish drawing has bold black outlines and are flat, my drawings don't have outlines, as we are into shading, and adding value, but they still look like cartoons. The edges of my subjects are never sharp they are always thick blobs.

I think a lot of it has to do with the shading and adding value; I can always see the individual scratch marks, the color in an area never looks smooth or like one piece, when I look at realistic drawings, or even comic books, I can't pick out individual lines; I see the changes in value of the colors, but each shade looks like one complete piece. I know about hatching, cross hatching, and circulism, but my drawing teacher is too right brain in her instructions, she just says do this (scribbles her pencil) and feel it out. I need to know the actual technique.

When I started drafting the professor tells you, hold the pencil like this, put it on the paper at this angle, move left to right, roll the pencil like this, use this much pressure, sharpen the edge to this point. I need that kind of thorough instruction, not just use some cross hatching on the clothes, then circulism on the skin, and that should work.
May we see some of your drawings? :)
We need to see your work.
If you could share some of your work we'd be glad to help