Starting, sticking to it, finishing!
Like sex, but artsy!

One of my biggest issues when it comes to studying is starting and sticking to a subject. To look past the "wow this looks like shit" and actually start thinking of why the values are the way they are. From where the light is coming from and how it interacts with the texture. You know, actually learning.

Let's take this gorilla-study I made. Please ignore the shitty quality as I don't know how to make gifs. :blush:

[Image: SdNai.gif]

I start out with the background and then do a quick sketch. So far so good. This I can do all day every day.
Problem starts when I actually start applying colors, "defining" shapes and so on. I just loose all interest. Cause it doesn't look like the reference. That's when I start half assing it.

Am I doing something wrong?

What do you do in these situations?
Do you have any issues you want to overcome?
Just keep pushing through, really.
Everyone feels like their studies suck. More so in the beginning and when attacking difficult subjects.

You're supposed to feel frustrated too, because if you don't you're just circulating around your comfortzones. Just keep fighting it! When you're done, try drawing something related to the subject and it will loosen you up.

Also if you feel annoyed with your study, take a step back and rest your eyes for a moment and get back to it.

(01-28-2012, 12:57 AM)Rey Wrote: I start out with the background and then do a quick sketch. So far so good. This I can do all day every day.
Problem starts when I actually start applying colors, "defining" shapes and so on. I just loose all interest. Cause it doesn't look like the reference. That's when I start half assing it.

Am I doing something wrong?

What do you do in these situations?
Do you have any issues you want to overcome?

I'd suggest reading up on color theory and light if that's what your downfall is at the moment. And when you are picking colors you really need to focus. Learning color theory will help you notice what colors are what and where to look for colors you wouldn't notice usually. While you learn, do some still life studies, and look for those colors you might not normally notice like reflective light of a nearby object bouncing off of another nearby object. Apply what you learn.

Take your time when you study too, doing a study doesn't all have to take place in one sitting. I've left a study alone for a day and come back to it, sometimes it helps you notice things you wouldn't normally notice (Just like Conny said).

Basically just be careful on what colors you choose, take your time and be patient. Also if you still think something is wrong with the picture then simply flip the image. You'll notice what's wrong almost immediately ha

I hope this helped :)

well in my opinion studies are not meant to make pretty images, they are for learning and not creating master pieces,

So my advice is try and not stress about the fact that oo the drawing doesn't look ok, ooo the values are not ok and focus all that energy into learning, observe the image and how color work and don't think about how you will be able to make the painting look like the reference, because again that's not the point.

And a small thing to go with this is maybe try and focus on certain things on each study, keep it simple, i think that's a better way of getting things locked into your head, because your brain will be able to gather so much information a day so yeah ... less could be more in some cases.

Hope it helped