Letting go of your EGO while retaining your Humbleness
Very touchy topic here I know, but this has bee a strong concept I've seen for many artist, someone told me the other day My ego was a downer, which baffled me and kinda hurt. Because I learned years ago to leave my ego at the back door. That was one concept my dad pushed towards me as not just an artist but as a person. Let's face it our ego will always be with us, it's not hard to put it on the backburner. I'm the kind of person that'll say thank you I'm humbled. not OMG this persons art sucks what a loser I'm better nagnagnag. I encourage learning new things and helping others learn not compete with them. So see why I'm confused about the ego. I am but a humbled poor artist lol, nothing more nothing less, just wanting to help others spread the joy of art with a passion like myself, and if that's setting myself on a pedestal I don't understand your concepts on human nature. anyways personal rant over, what are your thoughts on Ego vs Humble and humility?

maybe its just a matter of perception? sounds like you're misunderstood, you could try clearing it up wit that person :)

I used to have a pretty big ego years ago. Being the 'artist' of my friends and always finding myself the better of the students in the high school art classes and so on. It was only when I began studying properly and seeking critique did I have a massive fall and it was devestating, I'm thankful I wasn't stupid enough to argue with the people who gave me advice because it was very very good advice. Though now im trying to pull myself back in the other direction, to see the value in my work, its a difficult thing for some of us to do, to see our own worth.

When self worth is coming from toolbox, one could easily get defensive towards toolbox,
which is strange to another as how can someone cling to a box of metal.

(03-22-2013, 12:49 AM)Liberty Wrote: When self worth is coming from toolbox, one could easily get defensive towards toolbox,
which is strange to another as how can someone cling to a box of metal.

Very well said

(03-21-2013, 11:40 PM)Vandall Wrote: I used to have a pretty big ego years ago. Being the 'artist' of my friends and always finding myself the better of the students in the high school art classes and so on. It was only when I began studying properly and seeking critique did I have a massive fall and it was devestating, I'm thankful I wasn't stupid enough to argue with the people who gave me advice because it was very very good advice. Though now im trying to pull myself back in the other direction, to see the value in my work, its a difficult thing for some of us to do, to see our own worth.

I've had a few times where I go against a critiq but most of the time I agree with their words for it is helpful, some people are biased on critiqs like if it's not their style they don't like it, and that's improper critiquing. In a sense it's always nice in a way to amticipate failure for we learn more then just standardly doing it. I've always had the thought, if you're not making any mistakes, you are doing it wrong. but the exception is when one shows mastery lol. but yeah man always listen to god advice when you get it, welcome them :) ohh and use the force lol