Maintaining a cohesive style across concepts
Hello,

I'm in the process of putting together a pitchbook project for my portfolio class and one thing I've noticed is that I have trouble maintaining a consistent style across concepts. I'm trying to go for a sort of game art/less realistic approach (mostly to save on time and because it fits the proposed game), but whenever I paint concepts it reverts to a more realistic look. Is there a method people prefer to maintain some sort of consistency or deliver a more polished, solid style while doing a bunch of concept sketches? Any tips help.

“Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.” - Carl Sagan
WIP/Sketches | FB

I think it's just from practice and really forcing yourself to be consistent until it becomes second nature and it no longer takes a conscious effort.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Tumblr
If there is a style you are emulating, copy it until it's internalized. Then you can move on to doing your own stuff in that style.

Practice and time is the obvious answer, but you could make something like a style guide for that project. As far as I know when an art director hires someone on a project with a very defined style they usually give them some sort of a guide or at least directions so that the artist knows what do to and what not to do. So just make one for your project. Make one piece of work in the style you want to have and then analyze your own work, find things that can be used as a pattern and then carry them over to other works. Maybe it's the way the forearms are more pronounced, maybe it's the more cartoony eyes or maybe they all have clothes that would be totally impractical in real life. Find the defining points of the style you want to develop or borrow from another artist.

Style usually comes with simplification. Some of my favorite artists are Kekai and Matt Rhodes (bioware concept artist) and while I'm sure they can make very realistic paintings they usually leave some parts simply suggested (Kekai) or just lines with texture overlays instead of full rendering (Matt).

Also, work on multiple pieces at the same time. Do all sketches. Then do all line arts. Then do all color comps, then start painting them and finish them at the same time. Make a specific workflow for that project and use it for all concepts you need to do.

That is what I would suggest if you want to force a particular style for a particular project. As far as finding a style for all your work, I guess the best is to just let it happen naturally.

I hope that gives you some ideas. I don't have the pro experience to back it up, but it's what I did for my latest paintings and it's how I plan to continue with my personal project.
Basically everything I was going to say has already been said by Petyo. Yes if you mean developing a style of your own? That will come naturally as you work, you can't force it without stunting yourself in my belief.

^Oh no, personal style is easy. I mean for a client project. Adopting a distinctive style for a new project/IP seems an interesting challenge especially if you're working on one not your customary one. Thanks for the responses!

“Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.” - Carl Sagan
WIP/Sketches | FB

Make a character template and style sheet whenever you have a client that has a more distinct style.