Becoming friends with fellow artists
Hey,

First of all I'm quite a noob, been drawing for 1.5 year and have quite a clear goal that I want to reach over the upcoming years. But I have a question on my mind for quite a while now. When I browse DA I notice that most of the artists I follow know eachother and spend time together studying etc. I'm wondering how they meet eachother. I can think of a reason and that is that they make great art so they have something in common. I'm quite uncomfortable approaching any of these artists since I'm far from good at this point and they probably think I'm just another noob who needs something. So I was wondering how you guys did it when you started out, how did you get in this 'scene' and meet new people.

Hi Orhia,

Being a beginner (noob sounds so rude in my opinion) myself I can only give you this advice:

Everyone was once a beginner, if people make rude remarks or sorts because you are still not at their level they are not worth to befriend.
Places like DA are also a lot more focused on a niche. Meaning that you need to either do furry or some fan based pieces before most accept you there as part of the community. ( no offence to people on DA, I have an account there myself but tend not to post there )

It is one of the reasons that I like it here at CD, no matter what level someone is everyone is willing to help and critique in the positive way.
As for friends, participate a lot in the shoutbox, in discussions, the hang-out.
Also don't forget your sketchbook, post one here and try and comment in other people's sketchbook.
And soon you'll meet new people here and have fun while getting better ^^

Hope this helps :)
Thank you for the quick reply, I will start a sketchbook here and go from there :D

Orhia - Don't worry about becoming friends with people better than you. Just become friends with artists. Ask for critiques and give critiques. Even where you are, you have an understanding of art and your critiques are still valuable. While I might not be the best painter, I still understand anatomy and composition and can give critiques to those 'better' than me. Go to Google+ chats or other hangouts where artists are. The friendships just happen. In the mean time, hang out with those who are seeking to grow as you are and get better with them. You'll make friends with those 'better' than you and those 'less skilled' than you. Ultimately, don't focus on the skill level of other artists to determine who to be friends with... just be friends with artists and the rest will happen.
Thanks for the reply, Google+ chats sounds pretty cool, going to check that out! Thanks again! As for the critique part, you are right, skill does not matter, everyone can help eachother out.

Art communities have a reputation through history of being sick, full of envy, full of hatred, hate and egocentrism and as a visual arts student, I can say by experience that some... "circles" still work like that, specially in fine arts and museum related stuff. But what surprised me here, is how nice and hepful people are, it's the same in person among illustrators and it's really easy to get along and befriend people! It just happens sooner or later if you're active in the community.

Artists make friends with other artists when they suck and start out, people their own level basically and over the course of 3 years everyone sort of develops at a similar pace if they're actually trying and that's how a lot of "good" artists know other good artists.

Make friends with your generation and that'll lead to more friends.
That's how it worked for me anyway.

Not saying you shouldn't approach people better than you but if you do it with the hopes of having them be your personal crit-giver and helper don't get your hopes up.
Artists are just like every other group of people and the community here is no different, Ive added many many artists to skype because I like having people to chat to and annoy about art when I have time. Most are good people, just busy as we all are but always willing to chat especially about art, others are super helpful and I've been lucky to meet them.

Unfortunately theres always a risk of meeting the other kind, the jealous or egocentric, admittedly I've added a few people, who wernt so nice. Most like that are just self absorbed or in one case a status whore (only speaks to people who are high up in the community ladder) I just suggest not bothering with these people and look for the others who are generally pretty awesome.

Quote:Artists make friends with other artists when they suck and start out, people their own level basically and over the course of 3 years everyone sort of develops at a similar pace if they're actually trying and that's how a lot of "good" artists know other good artists.

Make friends with your generation and that'll lead to more friends.
That's how it worked for me anyway.

That's very much my experience too.
I started hanging around in online art communities many years ago, and other artists I met back online back then (also some I met face to face) have now developed badass skills. If you keep in touch over the years t's very inspiring to watch such progress.

Of course you can, and should, ask questions and research the artists who are above you skill and career-wise. You can learn SO much from them, it would be stupid not to take advantage of that.
Those I talked to always have been very friendly and helpful. (Provided, of course, that you're polite too, and don't ask 'hey what tablet do u use lol"). I haven't met any snotty snobs so far.
Hey, I know how is it like to feel " noob " but don't call it like this. Noob is usually used in games. In art we call it beginner and I can say i'm one of then and trying to move to the next level. www.abadon1.deviantart.com/gallery . Can you tell me what do you think about it ? We can be friends as well and who knows one day we'll be old artist friends and other people ( like u are now ) are asking the same question ;)Wink Tongue
Hello and ...How Ironic!! I have posted something rather similar (in regards to making friends that do digital painting any way) on the deviantART forums. I personally feel that 95% of the 750+ people that "watch me" don't actually give a damn what I do.. most probably stemming back to 6 maybe even 7 years ago from when I was into photomanips (badly done) but I learned from that. I've been struggling with digital painting now for must be around 3 years. Last year I took a year out (ish) due to home renovation, moving and medical stuff. But now I'm back and I really want to improve... more so than improving I want to do it along side friends and fellow like minded artists!! It would be a pleasure to get to know you and perhaps others who have posted on this forum (hello all) and learn from each other as we go. Up to you, take care and good luck on your journey... I look forward to your response and I'm off to invade your dA :D

Ps. Don't worry so much about artists that are "better" than you. I've discovered all artists (not matter how skilled) generally fit into 3 categories. 1. RARE (especially on dA) Artists that will help and respect you no matter what because they enjoy helping others. 2. FOOLS Arists who think (even if they are) that they're better than you and don't deserve their time of day. 3. 'Well I don't have a subname' but generally those who (as mentioned by others) are jealous, manipulative, envious, nasty etc... and not in a good way. There are too many people in type 3 (sadly) but I have found Daggers to be such a wonderful place and every single one seems to be a type 1 rare person who goes above and beyond to help anyone. I've only been here a week or so but in this last week I've learned so much and met so many wonderful and inspiring people. Despite if their work is better than mine... I know with help from such lovely people I will get there. And along the way if I can help others too then that's even better!! Toxicpanda (T00xicpanda on dA) brought me here, she's a real doll. But since she's better than me I'm trapped in that "I don't want to disturb her" and "her work is amazing how can I say anything constructive to improve on what I already think is amazing". But I have to push myself past that and basically if you don't ask... you won't receive. If you don't crit (even if someone is better) then who are you to expect crits from others? This is a lovely place and you seem like one of the lovely ones :D I'm sure you'll find your place here and your own circle of friends *pick me, pick me!!* lol... No but seriously.. we'll get there I am sure. Take care and remember... have fun.

Imogen

© missimoinsane:  Daggers Sketchbook  |  deviantART  |  Facebook Page  |  Personal Webpage 
I just recently got here on Crimson Dagger in hopes of meeting people that might help me become a better artist .

when it comes to art im like a disney villian full of jelousy when i see really good looking art and then see my own shit(i of course never insulted anyone or something thats just wrong ). I tried getting into a community such as Concept Art.org but it ended up kind of sour cause i didnt get nearly as much help and my own nature kind of fucked it up for me

I got recommended this forum from somebody that i managed to find that was a better artist then me but that wasnt long after the whole CA thing so i was reluctant to try but here i am now hopeing to meet people , god knows i wont meet many that grab my interest in my own town

My Sketchbook (do help me out)
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4216.html

And if your rather curious on some older stuff here's my deviantart

http://greatdictator.deviantart.com/