WoTC in One year
One year ago today I left a toxic relationship, set out on my own and have put all my focus into my illustration and concept work. I live off my art at this point which is a true blessing I am thankful for everyday. I make my own hours, I work on games, films and stories I love, I run, I bike, I work hard as hell, but I can always do more.
The reason I got back into art was through DnD. I went to art school from 99-03 at a fancy institute and got very burnt out. I worked in the art world for years not making a dent and dealing with very nasty, vapid people. After 5 years of struggling, I gave up on art as a viable career, besides some random personal projects. I started working as a carpenter, contractor, then a decorative finisher. It was turning into a very good living in nyc, but it did not feel right. In the midst of this career change I got back into DnD and was reminded of the art that made me want to draw in the first place. I found online tutorials, communities and went at it.
The same month I set my mind to a new career my dad got very sick and I spent a lot of my free time with him in the hospital drawing on my laptop. He passed away as I was getting my first real gigs and had a chance to see me really happy doing my work. He was always concerned that I wasnt doing what I loved and pushed me to make my own path in whatever I did. I know I love what I do now, and I feel that I am keeping true to my vision as an artist. However, if I want to support a family, have a decent home, and a fleet of jetskis I need to step it up.
My personal goal is to land a contract with Wizards of the Coast by this time next year. Working in the DnD world would be a personal dream come true. I know I'm capable of it, but I need to work on many aspects of my illustration.
-nailing the WoTC style down
-waaaaay better lighting in my illustrations
-polish, render, polish, repeat
-examples of wotc IPs in my portfolio (Githyanki!)

any other suggestions?
lemme have it. I want this so bad!
Good luck with your goals Cairn, you seem to be on the right track and I salute your determination :) your portfolio is impressive, especially your concepts.

One thing you missed off your list that I think you'd benefit from is working on your values, many of your designs (mainly the people) look a little flat. I notice it only because that's one of the things I have to keep working on too.

Anyway, keep up with the awesomeness, I have no doubt you will reach your goal :)

(06-28-2013, 08:20 PM)Angel_Intheuk Wrote: Good luck with your goals Cairn, you seem to be on the right track and I salute your determination :) your portfolio is impressive, especially your concepts.

One thing you missed off your list that I think you'd benefit from is working on your values, many of your designs (mainly the people) look a little flat. I notice it only because that's one of the things I have to keep working on too.

Anyway, keep up with the awesomeness, I have no doubt you will reach your goal :)

Very true! thanks for the call out and support :)
I can do this!
(04-05-2013, 05:02 AM)Cairn Wrote: -nailing the WoTC style down

I don't think there is one. Naturally they don't want cartoony stuff (unless they want to continue that one book drawn by the Penny Arcade dude and other people), but in general there's alot of individuality with each artist.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Tumblr
Hey There, I'm new here so to speak but I want to wish you luck with your goals. I think its a very realistic goal for you and if you keep workin hard for it I'm sure you'll get it, maybe even sooner than you think

Im afraid the only thing I can recommend you're already set out to do, which was to polish a bit more. From your portfolio I think your lighting is quite nice actually. The illustration at the train station was particularly well done!

Great story, way to come back with a vengeance. One thing I noticed about your Illustrations on your website is some of them look like concept art. So my question to you is how long are you allowing yourself on an illustration. If it is not atleast 20 hours or more you may be shorting yourself? Especially if it is an Illustration for you or your portfolio, I would spend a few days atleast, maybe 3 full days 30+hrs or so. Many take much longer than that. Just trying to be helpful. Your work is great and your dreams are close enough for you to reach out and grab them!

I remember Dan and Dave said on a livestream that (paraphrasing) if you wanted to work for a company, you've got to be better than the worst of their artists. You're doing an excellent job, for what I see in your page. You should also aim for paizo, I mean, it's more or less the same, and pathfinder is practically D&D 3.75. At least their manuals and artists look the same to me.

(08-15-2013, 05:25 AM)Rognoll Wrote: You should also aim for paizo, I mean, it's more or less the same, and pathfinder is practically D&D 3.75. At least their manuals and artists look the same to me.

That's because there's overlap between the two. A good chunk of DnD artists also do work for Pathfinder.

Steve Prescott, Wayne Reynolds, Dave Rapoza, Dave Allsop...

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Tumblr
Hey man, that sounds a little like my own path in life. :)
DnD has always been a massive inspiration for me to finally get off my ass, change the direction my life was going in (basically aimlessly drifting around) and get into illustration and concept art. Todd Lockwood and Sam Wood's art in 3rd edition blew me away and inspired to no end at the same time. Then I found conceptart.org about 7 years ago and that site has helped me tremendously in figuring out what to do. Also Dave and Dan's videos on youtube and their art and the way they approach it never fails to amaze.
I hope to be able to work for WotC or Paizo sometime too. Maybe I should set a tangible goal, like in 1 year like you do. I really hope you will succeed and well, obviously I hope I will succeed too. Maybe we'll be colleagues a year from now. :D
Go for it man, I think you can do it!
I have the same goal. Been working hard in the last few weeks. I've been checking out all sorts of tutorials and signing up for various study groups. It is gonna be a long and difficult journey, filled with studies, contest illustrations and personal work, but I'm sure we can make it.