Hilllbilllyjoe - Sketchbook
An HB graphite + charcoal sketch I did a while ago of Bane from The Dark Knight Rises. Shading on the metallic tube furthest to the right on the mask is terrible.

Attached Files Image(s)

I know its not very concepty (thats totally a word), but almost finished one of the pictures I'm using as part of an animation I'm working on. The ears suck, and the reflected light on the chin needs fixing up. Didn't notice it until I viewed it on a different monitor.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey guys, this is all the terrible stuff I've done in the last 3 days. Any criticism on what I'm doing would be much appreciated, be as brutally honest as you like (I am well aware my stuff is terrible). I'm dedicating most of my time to teaching myself to draw these days, but I really want to get the approach to learning right. A lot of this stuff is referenced from other artists on DeviantArt, and I know a lot of people object to that, but I just wanted to get back into the swing of things first.

Those of you who are wondering why I drew so many goats, my entry for the "Son's of Zeus" competition features Aegipan, so I wanted to study some goats to prepare myself.

The time taken for most sketches was 1 minute 30 seconds, but there are some more complex things that I took up to 10 minutes to draw.

Please, rip my stuff apart so I can learn.

Thanks heaps.

[Image: SsdMFiH.jpg]
[Image: B1Bw2OU.jpg]
[Image: jxeynBt.jpg]
[Image: XpFhdF9.jpg]
[Image: uNJbs28.jpg]
[Image: aQJDI3H.jpg]
[Image: wbzolJk.jpg]
[Image: rLHI6wz.jpg]
[Image: Vo8pBKT.jpg]
[Image: NDplkiO.jpg]
[Image: oxWw1iK.jpg]
[Image: fGoxXIP.jpg]
[Image: AFvtWSY.jpg]
[Image: kflisvT.jpg]
[Image: zdvwlBi.jpg]
[Image: m4bGoXM.jpg]
[Image: Uk1GlTG.jpg]
[Image: uCiBwBj.jpg]
[Image: FXyCSzc.jpg]
[Image: c0UQBwj.jpg]
[Image: WDNz430.jpg]
[Image: 6VWAAMX.jpg]
[Image: Kfo8W9h.jpg]
[Image: rVueVTS.jpg]
[Image: gEfJ1Ap.jpg]
[Image: 5Zni0W3.jpg]
[Image: Fyf11bk.jpg]
[Image: Fq3rR3C.jpg]
[Image: EiAnGmc.jpg]
[Image: leCMrsc.jpg]
[Image: wXwTGEg.jpg]
[Image: Gn3whxo.jpg]
[Image: vsjPek7.jpg]
[Image: ftU2NoK.jpg]
[Image: dO6Xj4F.jpg]
[Image: Ic6Bys2.jpg]
[Image: e5MfDf1.jpg]
[Image: XiSTJ8U.jpg]
[Image: oGZAu5v.jpg]

another crappy pic

[Image: h9suLFQ.jpg]
25 minute painting of sinix (from a webcam video while he was moving, probably a bad idea)
[Image: XxsaFnQ.jpg]
Hey Hillbillyjoe!
Ooh, great work ethic, lovin' it!

Haha it's all trial and error when it comes to learning D: I wish I had someone just tell me that I was studying pretty ineffectively a the start, but hey! There's something in our brain that flicks on when we're unsatisfied with something - and it adapts to a new way of thinking to counteract the dissatisfaction.

Anyways, I'm not going to "rip on your stuff" - I'll simply tell you some stuff that'll save you some time:

Focus on the fundamentals:
Primarily:
Perspective,
Form/shape,
Value (master value = master colour)

And do lots of observation studies (i.e. still lifes)

However, as you're studying these, don't forget to apply what you've learned straight away!

Once you gain a good understanding of your fundamentals - anatomy for example will come to you a lot easier (as the visualisation of forms in space is key to visualising and drawing/painting an image - always think of forms using the x, y and z axis, or, 3D plane; so visualising the basic forms of the body would mean larger wireframes around the body e.g.
[Image: wireframe.jpg]
And therefore, knowing your anatomy is just like adding more detail to the 3D model's wireframe e.g.
[Image: 865_max.jpg]).

Okay, okay, I went off on a tangent - my bad!!

Just keep in mind to always have fun and DON'T FORGET TO DO PERSONAL WORK! :D Don't ever get too caught up in the study aspect of learning, you learn tons more doing imaginative stuff and really applying what you learned.

Keep it up, never slow and all the best!

Thanks heaps for replying so fast, and in such depth! Your 30 page sketchbook is incredible, I'm going to try and work a minimum of 7 hours a day in the hope of building something like that. My perspective and form needs a lot of work like you said, so I'm going to focus on that for a while until I'm comfortable with it. Art so much fun, but it's also incredibly frustrating. It's like the more the learn the less you know. Stupid

Thanks again for your help.
tip from practicing perspective is drawing from life
also try doing gestures everyday and keep at it without breaking the chain.
im no expert and all but im starting to feel im getting better just by keeping at on what i do. even though i have no clear idea of what im trying to do

15 minute painting of a husky [Image: s8ZiRG6.jpg]
(03-11-2014, 09:36 PM)foxfire1345 Wrote: tip from practicing perspective is drawing from life
also try doing gestures everyday and keep at it without breaking the chain.
im no expert and all but im starting to feel im getting better just by keeping at on what i do. even though i have no clear idea of what im trying to do

Thanks, I started just drawing all the stuff on my desk and trying to rotate it mentally, and then redraw it, it already feels more effective.