Turpentine Jones' Sketchbook
Hello, this is to be my sketchbook. Unfortunately my joining of this forum was poorly timed as I am currently rather sick but I hope to be able to produce regardless. Today I did some facial studies as understanding head structures and facial planes and all that lovely stuff is my current goal for this month.

Here's one of the better ones. Critique is welcome but there's not much to critique just yet Tongue

Sorry Stupid

Attached Files Image(s)

I have to write something here but i'm not sure what. My facial studies today.

Attached Files Image(s)

More heads, I got kiiinda bored and decided to do this unfriendly looking Robot WIP.

Attached Files Image(s)

yes Jones! exercise that imagination xD Noticed that the third and forth plane lighting studies are inverses of each other :00
Keep with the planar studies, extreme angles are always difficult to draw
These are bad. I will do better though.

I can see you're getting pretty comfortable with perspective. There are still issues to iron out but theres already improvement between the first post with perspective and the last one

If you have the money I'd recommend investing in a good perspective book or lesson by scott robertson if you havent already. Easily the best resource for artists. Technical enough to cover everything important, but also loose enough for quick perspective sketching.

That said, it looks like youre not too sure about how to place those ellipses. Some of them are quite close, but others are off so im going to assume that youre guessing to some extent; apologies if thats not the case but heres a quick rundown of how they work.

The Minor axis of the ellipse is the important thing to think about when drawing them. Essentially, the minor axis is always going to be perpendicular to the surface its on. In other words, if you put an ellipse on a cube, the minor axis will point to the VP that the ellipse is facing

Heres an example
[Image: r03tp2.jpg]

Another example, so if you have an ellipse on the ground, the minor axis is perpendicular to it, ie straight up and down
[Image: cylinder.jpg]

And If we look back at your drawings we can see some of them are pretty close but others are off
[Image: 2uym2hx.jpg]

Hope that helps.

(07-20-2014, 10:59 PM)Beardley Wrote: I can see you're getting pretty comfortable with perspective. There are still issues to iron out but theres already improvement between the first post with perspective and the last one

If you have the money I'd recommend investing in a good perspective book or lesson by scott robertson if you havent already. Easily the best resource for artists. Technical enough to cover everything important, but also loose enough for quick perspective sketching.

That said, it looks like youre not too sure about how to place those ellipses. Some of them are quite close, but others are off so im going to assume that youre guessing to some extent; apologies if thats not the case but heres a quick rundown of how they work.

The Minor axis of the ellipse is the important thing to think about when drawing them. Essentially, the minor axis is always going to be perpendicular to the surface its on. In other words, if you put an ellipse on a cube, the minor axis will point to the VP that the ellipse is facing

Heres an example
--

Another example, so if you have an ellipse on the ground, the minor axis is perpendicular to it, ie straight up and down
--

And If we look back at your drawings we can see some of them are pretty close but others are off
--

Hope that helps.

Wow Beardly I really appreciate you going out of your way to help! Right now i'm studying Scott Robertsons "How to Draw" which is where i'm getting most of my information...sadly as you noticed Elipses are a weak point for me.

This week perhaps I should focus on them more exclusively. Thanks for the redlines.
Stupid

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi : ) It's nice to see you working hard and wanting to get better. Scott Robertsons book is amazing and I'm planning to get through it once too. Have lots of fun and keep up with good work : )

CD dA FM  MaL