Johnno's Sketchbook
Hey everyone, I'm new here. This site looks great, and what's better is while I have a black site splattered with red called "Crimson Daggers" open on my computer, people will likely stay out of my room :D

I'll add the last picture I worked on just to get things started. It was meant to be just a value study, without colour. I didn't finish it, but for me that's quite usual haha

Nice! Welcome to the daggers! Study or not it is always fun to change it a little bit to not to get bored! Keep on the good work!

(05-07-2013, 07:55 PM)DomSinkevic Wrote: Nice! Welcome to the daggers! Study or not it is always fun to change it a little bit to not to get bored! Keep on the good work!

Hi! Yeah I agree, keeps things fun =] I'll try to keep updating
Thanks for the comment!
Welcome to the daggers! Seems like you already have a pretty solid foundation to work off. I hope to see a finished original illustration one day!

What Tyler said. You started on time, don't stop updating :)
Welcome.

Thanks guys! I drift in and out of inspiration, but I'm sure everyone does =]
A pose study i did today. Not sure if im done with it yet though.

I draw with a samsung series 7 tablet, and due to its pen calibration it can make drawing a pain. I got it a year and a half ago because i wanted to draw on screen and the 12 cintiq looked shady haha
Its a great tablet nevertheless, but when sketching it can be annoying.

A few older pictures. May as well post them too

So, long time no post.
I'm trying hard to get back into drawing, so I just drew a few quick ones. Not really studies, all I learnt is i have a lot to learn about anatomy, and that clouds are complex lol. But whatever, as long as it gets me drawing =]

Attached Files Image(s)

Today and yesterday I've been working on this. I feel like I should probably do lots of little practics in between, because something like this usually takes a while. But I need too put more time into drawing, this is from a few small hours I found in between stuff. I also really need to work on my process in drawing. I take too long and enjoy it less, but I find it hard to draw fast because of the pen drift issue.

Rant over, more drawing must ensue :D

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey everyone. Been busy, with things, annoying things...
Anyway, I has some updates :)
I made some progress, albeit small, on the face picture, and attempted a cherry tree. Them guys are cool, but I find trees hard because you need to choose what way you do the leaves, and with cherry trees they're actually flowers so they're more detailed. First attempt of it anyhow =]

Hello again C.D, long time no see. I've been away for far too long, and hopefully I'll stick to it this time. I've set myself a timeframe to improve, and I intend to give it a real attempt this time.

I have made some progress with my time, however. In October I did Tough Mudder, for those of you that don't know what that is, it's a long 18 km obstacle course. It was fun :D
And over the last few months I've managed to lose nearly 20kg (hooray for me) and put on some muscle. I still have like 15 or more to lose, but I'm sitting with a much higher self esteem than I had.

In terms of drawing, it probably looks like I've gotten worse with these drawings, but I find I need time to get back into it. And exploring things I'm not used to will be difficult, but I need to expand. I'm going to try 3 activities to improve;
-Draw poses on a pose viewer (like pixelovely =])
-Sketch artworks/photos that interest me (to understand the perspective they use and the placement of things in the frame, that always gets me) then re-do it from memory
-Do studies of specifics, then re-do them from memory

I want to get better at drawing things from my mind, without having to lean so much on reference material.

I'll try and keep posted every day! Peace!

Attached Files Image(s)

Quick poses for today =]

I'm learning I need to keep my mind on the task. I tend to drift off into thought when I do things lol

And I've given myself a goal; by the end of this year I want to start making my portfolio, and have that quality work. Not sure if that's over or under-shotting it, I can always adjust it. But I've always been of the opinion that you shouldn't limit what you can achieve, and setting goals is sort of doing that. But if you don't have a tangible thing to strive for, you can't focus on it and you go no-where. I'm learning some of my thought patterns are very counter-intuitive to my goals and progress in life. But I think artist people being a bit weird isn't exactly breaking news haha

So tl;dr I think I need to do more and progress faster. If I don't see results I'll stop trying, I learnt that from dieting =]

Attached Files Image(s)

A few days of absence, it eats at my soul =/
I did some poses and studied a bit of anatomy. In doing this it occured to me that I can draw relatively well given enough time, but I rely so greatly upon references. I enjoy drawing from my mind but I don't know enough to do it yet. I drew on paper cause the cursor drift on my tablet bothers me, and probably isn't helping with confident drawing.

I'm experimenting with new ways to do anatomy, because I think I'm in great need of a proper method. Just drawing lines eventually gets me there, but it's messy and annoying. I want to have the ability to draw things with minimal lines, with great confidence.

I'm not sure at what stage I'll be at the level required to piece together a portfolio, but purely in terms of my own goals, I have a long ways to go.

Attached Files Image(s)

Draw. Draw draw draw.
These are pretty average sketches I know. I'm practicing front on basic anatomy, which alone won't really help at all with drawing.
But I've been able to render things pretty okay for a while. That isn't my issue right now. My issue is my lack of confidence makes drawing such a task, and I need it to be faster. I want to know the basic anatomy figure so well that it's literally second nature to me, so when I do it in poses it just clicks. So I'm going to do front on anatomy drawing as an exercise with poses.

I should be drawing instead of typing. But I'm a real talker. Lol.
When I see some of the pictures on here it really demotivates me, cause they look so fantabulous. I just have to remind myself it's all a process, and a matter of smaller things building into a bigger thing. =]

Attached Files Image(s)

More of the drawingness. Although I haven't really improved, I've learnt a lot over the last few days. Like I used to feel bad at drawing when I couldn't draw something (like a hand), but it just clicked today that it's all a matter of study. I skipped the hands and feet for the most part on my figure cause I wanted to isolate the study, and I realized how little it matters. It's funny I knew this before, I just didn't understand it like I do now. It all seems less overwhelming and simpler to me now, but I know that'll change lol

I'm trying to physically draw more every day. I want to draw an actual drawing I like ontop of the practices every day, so I feel like I have something to show for it. I know it doesn't really teach me much, but it raises morale =]

I'm also learning that timed stuff is really important. Without putting a time limit on things, I hesitate heaps and it becomes a sluggish, boring experience.

Attached Files Image(s)

A morning sketch and another picture I'm working on. I feel like I'm not doing as well as I thought I was =/ damn ebb and flow of the mind. Also I need to practice digital art more, so I get better at sketching and creating paintings. I enjoy pencil drawings, but they're kinda gimmicky.
I want to give myself a week of drawing every day quite consistently, and see how I feel. I'm already much more confident about the very basic male form =]

Attached Files Image(s)

Missed uploading for a few days, and drawing too. I've gotta ground myself in routine, but I'll get there =]

Attached Files Image(s)