setchbook
Hey everyone, here is a sketchbook/journal that I'll be adding to on a regular basis in order to grow and keep myself active. i had a sketchbook on conceptart.org, and I am not sure because I have been out of the loop for a while, but it looks as though it was deleted.

anyway I'll be posting mostly studies, long and quick ones, pencil and digital, and so on.

I am excited to be joining such an established and awesome community of artists here.

one of the things I did wrong with this illustration was rely too heavily on reference. some people i have showed it too have told me that at first glance they thought it was a photo collage, which sucked! after hearing the livestream conversation with dan and sam carr and miles about the importance of not relying on reference too heavily, i looked at all the work i did in the past year or so and realized that that was all i have been doing. so this will be an issue i will have to fight off in the coming year.

environment sketch

45 minute sketch, i have two summer classes right now so my study time is very limited, which is a great thing. i have never been comfortable with leaving something after 30 minutes or 45 minutes and posting it, but its really healthy to do so i think.

The drawing is an underdrawing/sketch idea for a larger painting i am working on

Wow that bunny dude is really scary,but I like it. Keep it up like this, you have some good portraits.
Welcome to CD.

CD dA FM  MaL
heyyyy. out of college. time to actually do art.

Attached Files Image(s)

boopzldl

more of this study.

That upside-down maze and statue painting was really cool. I can tell it's painted 'cos of the brush strokes. I guess to get away from relying too much on ref photo you can do stuff that doesn't exist, so you have to combine little parts of many ref photos instead of using just one or two.

Focus.

thanks for the reply! youre completely right about that. i did that painting last year, and it took me ages and i definitely learned a lot about what not to do. i relied too heavily on reference for sure. i still enjoy the idea i had the for the painting, but the execution its really quite strange and jarring.

mountains study