Ang's Book Cover Portfolio Strategy Guide
So like a good little list squirrel, this place to share our lists of THINGS to accomplish is too good to pass up!

My current big goal right now is to embark on the Portfolio Building Series hosted by The ArtOrder using my goal of becoming a book cover illustrator. I'll be posting my works in progress at my sketchbook thread and the finished art here in this thread.

Here's my progress so far! The links go to my blog responses to each homework assignment.

Part 1 - What is a Portfolio?
Part 2 - The Self Assessment
Part 3 - Setting a Strategy
Part 4 - Making a Plan
Part 4a - The Insanity Loop
Part 5 - STORYBOARDING AND PRESENTATION (Coming soon!)
Part 5a - PRESENTATION (Coming Soon!)

Doing the Portfolio Building assignment then led to the creation of this list, which is called my master portfolio list! (By now, my deadlines are totally borked, but I'm STILL trying to make it!)

STRATEGY GUIDE - Book Cover Illustration Portfolio

GOAL: Present this portfolio to representatives of publishers who will be attending Illuxcon, Sep 11-15th.

THEMES: Mature fantasy, character-centric, mythic, subversive characters, exotic places, capable females, swashbuckling males, roguish figures.

STYLE: Semi-realism, mature, atmospheric, clear compositions (ie. Dan Dos Santos & Jason Chan)

PAINTING 1 - Kushiel's Dart Variant Cover (FINISHED! See here)

Brief: The scene of Phedre's realization of her dedication to the call of Naamah, where she releases the dove in front of Naamah's statue. Focus on the rose marque of her back. Even though she would not have it at this part of the story, it is an essential recognizable symbol for this series. Hazy setting at dusk with cool blues for the background so that Phedre's red dress and marque stand out. Somber atmosphere of quiet beauty and ecstasy.

The About: Phedre's ecstasy and the realization of her divine calling to Naamah and Kushiel as her destiny in this world (and the entire book series).

Sketch Deadline: February 28th
Final Deadline: March 15th

PAINTING 2 - Song of Exile Ramah Cover (FINISHED! See here)

Brief: A scene focusing on the exiled state of the prince. The moment of Ramah's realization that he cannot return home (ie. At the foot of the dead man who cursed him surrounded by the burnt village he destroyed). Cool grey and neutral tones. Setting at early dawn (greys and pinks).

The About: Feelings of longing for home, trapped far away, failure of duty.

Sketch Deadline: April 15th
Deadline: April 30th

PAINTING 3 - Song of Exile Melakim Cover

Brief: A scene of desperation. Melakim fighting for her life surrounded by zombie-like vampires with reaching claws. Wounded, but determined. She shows no fear and wields her weapons with surety and skill. Lots of entwined figures in an abandoned village with Melakim at the center of the fray. Dark palette with the only colors being hinted at in the deep shadows and in the red and gold of her hair and eyes and the red blood of wounds.

The About: The determination of a woman who was once horribly wounded, but chooses not to let her circumstances overcome her, physically or mentally.

Sketch Deadline: May 30th
Deadline: June 15th

PAINTING 4 - Persephone Queen of the Underworld Cover

Brief: Persephone on her throne somberly eating the seeds of the pomegranate, which are in a decorative bowl beside her. She is dressed in the garb of the Underworld with jeweled chains to hint at the themes of imprisonment. Her expression is one of quiet acceptance of her fate.

The About: Persephone's quiet acceptance of a fate forced upon her and her adaptability to her circumstances.

Sketch Deadline: August 15th
Deadline: August 31st

Wow Angela. Thanks so much for writing and posting all this (the blog posts especially). Thoughts along these lines have been going through my head for some time now but I wasn't really able to concrete-them or make any sort of strategy out of them. These exercises look really useful to focus my efforts some more. I'm going to go through the portfolio assignments. : )

How're your portfolio pieces coming on? (regardless of the bork)

"If you want liberation in this life, there is no area that you do not watch. Watch the breathing, watch the posture, watch the flow of energy, watch the texture of the mind, watch the response to objects." - Namgyal Rinpoche
Hello fellow Angela :) Great deadline goals! I like the detail you've gone into, this is the exact thing I need to do. Anyway good luck with those, they sound great and are you posting your progress anywhere?

@aks9 and @angel_intheuk it's been awhile and I finally remembered this list existed! I've actually completed two of my book cover portfolio pieces based on the 'strategy guide' I posted here since I first posted this list.

If I can remember, I'll be posting progress work over at my Sketchbook thread and the finished work for my book cover portfolio DEATHLINE here in this thread.

Kushiel's Dart book cover redesign:
[Image: kushiel_s_dart_by_angelasasser-d6evbxt.jpg]
Fave this on DeviantART.

Song of Exile Ramah cover:
[Image: oathbound_by_angelasasser-d7jqcar.jpg]
Fave this on Deviantart.