Copyright and Reference
Hi there I usually collect reference very whimsically, however I do have underlying concerns one day I'll be dinged by a copyright claim of some form. I do partially understand that when I use pictures as educational and learning tools to produce my own work, while not copying/reproducing them it is perfectly safe as long as Im not using them for personal gain. I was just curious if some one knew more on the subject :D

"When we first meet people we see shallows, there after fathoms"
Website
Livestream
Blog
<Not a lawyer.

If you take someone else's work to use as reference then there is a large gray area. If it is derivative enough, to the point that the author of the referenced work wouldn't recognize the piece, you have nothing to worry about. If it's too close, or traced, or filtered over, then they might have a case against you. For example, the famous blue/red/white Obama vector illustration was traced directly over a photographer's work, and he went after the illustrator and won damages.

If you are truly concerned, shooting your own reference will always cover your ass.
I never understand these copyrights and reference policies, can anyone help me here to briefly explain this to me?

i´m not a lawyer either but, all this really doesnt matter. Because using reference isnt about "copying" that reference but to use it as a guideline to fill the gaps in your own memory and visual library. Thus, you dont need to worry about copying someone's work.
Still, if you really need to use direct reference for something complex, do like nealtse says, and shoot your own reference.