Please critique this snowy scene
Please have at it, all critiques welcome!

[Image: croys_first_snowfall_by_tenebraestudios-...35a9ed.jpg]

I think the moment you're trying to capture is great! Things I'd suggest to improve upon is the anatomy. The readability in the the shoulder area where the little girl is sitting is unclear. it's very hard to tell where arms begin and end or if they're in the right places. also their heads seem to be floating in place because those areas are too dark, and you cant see their necks. Get some photo reference of kids on peoples shoulders for anatomy understanding.

The other thing I'd suggest is Getting reference photos of people in the snow so you can better understand the dark and light values of a snowy day. When that light hits snow it can really bounce off that white surface and lighten things up around it.

Lastly, I think if the characters were looking in different directions from one another it would add more life to the image. Maybe the older woman is keeping an eye out for danger, which would also explain why she's so serious.

Great job! I Hope this helps!
That was a great help, thanks NRAG :)

The redone version:

[Image: Snowfall-Redux_zps6f7bc293.png]

Woha! you rocked it man. you placed the action right into the scene! I guess you used reference this time?

(08-21-2013, 06:35 AM)JBZ Wrote: Woha! you rocked it man. you placed the action right into the scene! I guess you used reference this time?

Thank you! Yes I did, from a variety of sources all cobbled together. Its funny because I am a reference fiend, but even so, I still forget sometimes to lay in the foundations of the picture first.

Stareater,

I livestreamed a paintover and crit for you.

http://livestre.am/4Ax5d

Livestream Crits/Paintovers: www.twitch.tv/mike086
Loomis Study videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mike086

My Facebook page: MCIII
That's very kind, thank you. Sorry, only saw this now.

wow from the first image to the second there is a huge difference. Great job with that !
Thank you Gumby! So glad I was able to improve upon a piece. Client -loved- the new version.