Bloodsports 5: Spirited Away
Let's do this! I should probably have done more thumbnails before I just went with this one... but I like it. There's still time to do more anyway, can always change things up.

Got the composition down, now I'm gonna spend a few days doing studies for the dragon, bathhouse etc to get the details in and try and make it quite realistic.

Here it all is so far.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I really like that 2-toned (white and light gray) piece. One thing I would like to point out to you is that the girl, Chihiro is 10 years old and you've made her about 17/18 ?
However, I don't know if you did this intentionally. It might be quite interesting that you're taking this sweet film and making for a more mature audience.
Do more composition studies, as far as a movie poster goes the simplicity isn't a wonderful selling point. If this is meant to be a more dark and deadly version then I'd revamp it more, think up many layouts and designs, you want to stop once you've picked the very best one. Also the forms are a bit flat. Your faces could use some studies as well. Keep at it, you have time. :]

Study hard!

Available for Freelance - Portfolio | CD Sketchbook | Blog | Email
I like the idea, check out some of those old Japanese horror movie posters and see what you could borrow from them.
Jeffers: Thank you, I liked the grey/white one too, I'm going to try and bring that body from the side back in to break up the viewing distance. Also yeah she's meant to be a bit older, I wanted to push the re-imagining aspect of the challenge and mix things up a bit.

Zesiul: Lucky for me we all got sent home from work for two days because there's not enough to do, so I've got more time to change the comp up. I have a bad habit of getting attached to an idea and thinking I wont be able to do any better, but I know you're right. I did keep and still am trying to put things in the foreground and background to make it flow better. I literally only just put the bathhouse silhouette in before I posted this so hopefully that'll help me think of things to add. And yep, many studies to come! Thanks for the crit.

Natalie: Thanks! Will do. :)

New composition idea. Kept the girl in her original pose but made her look a little younger. Still trying to figure out lighting and background/foreground placement of things. It's hard!

So I MAY have figured out an okay background... finally. I've done a million paint-overs on this now. If all is well and good in the morning and hopefully I've not just mushed some colours together and think I've achieved something in a delusional state then I can finally crack on with some studies and get those mish mash of shapes actually looking presentable.

I have literally had this Bemo gif in the corner of my screen all day/night so that I don't go mental when it's all going wrong. It's like he's really dancing to my music AND HE NEVER GIVES UP SO NEITHER WILL I.

[Image: tumblr_lnhe5xAItR1qir697o1_500.gif]

Looking better, but if I may add in another quick crit. The thing that I'd say would really help is if you put the emphasis on the face. Don't just push it away just because you're unsure about how to render out the form. Do the studies and bite the bullet.

As of now the emphasis is on the lower section due to the definition and brightness of the dragon. It's being so different brings our eye strait down to it. Which you should use to help the piece. All you have to start to do is put the emphasis on the face, and lower it on that tail. Try not to have the two compete.

Available for Freelance - Portfolio | CD Sketchbook | Blog | Email
(01-31-2012, 06:05 PM)Zesiul Wrote: Looking better, but if I may add in another quick crit. The thing that I'd say would really help is if you put the emphasis on the face. Don't just push it away just because you're unsure about how to render out the form. Do the studies and bite the bullet.

As of now the emphasis is on the lower section due to the definition and brightness of the dragon. It's being so different brings our eye strait down to it. Which you should use to help the piece. All you have to start to do is put the emphasis on the face, and lower it on that tail. Try not to have the two compete.

I am glad I tried something else. That's what I was eventually going to go for, I struggled a lot trying to push things back and have things in the foreground so now that I've got everything in place I can render it out with the help of the studies. The two faces are (attempting to be) the focal point so yeah I will be rendering them in a lot of detail now (: and I'll try and take the attention off the tail a little bit.

Thanks!

Study Plan

1. Dragon:

Wolf heads and eyes
Snake body and scales

2. Japanese Bathhouses

3. "Bendy" trees

4. Night sky and clouds

5. DVD covers + Title positioning

So here's number one!

Edit: A wolf eye study too.

Last one for tonight. Wolf skull study!

Not as much time today because of work and bad traffic on the way home but here's what I've added since I got home.

Trying to apply some of the stuff from my studies but ended up just doing some other bits too.

His face will be fluffy by the end of this. Eventually.

Still umming and ahing about some stuff so feedback is appreciated!

This is coming a long great, I love the darker more adult mood going on here, I want to watch it!
The girl looks great, the background looks a little disjointed from the characters. Maybe if you make the top of houses point towards the top-right edge of the frame. You can still give it a extreme sense of depth that way, plus it with follow with the dragon with sinking into the image. The other thing you might want to think about is making the dragon whiter, that flesh color is making it look a little like a winding phallus.
(02-02-2012, 10:38 PM)Tooth Wrote: This is coming a long great, I love the darker more adult mood going on here, I want to watch it!

Thanks!

Maybe in this version the dad crashes the car from going too fast down that lane and the bathhouse is just some kind of limbo she needs to fight her way out of. Alternative ending...
(02-03-2012, 05:01 AM)The Killer ZEES Wrote: The girl looks great, the background looks a little disjointed from the characters. Maybe if you make the top of houses point towards the top-right edge of the frame. You can still give it a extreme sense of depth that way, plus it with follow with the dragon with sinking into the image. The other thing you might want to think about is making the dragon whiter, that flesh color is making it look a little like a winding phallus.

Good point, I'll swing the house to the right a little!

Haha will do. But who doesn't want to watch a film about a girl who falls in love with a flying phallus...? ;D

A very scatty drawing of a bathhouse style building. Remind myself to get better at drawing buildings /:

This is looking really good! One thing I'm unsure of is how deep and sunken her eyes are. I've never seen Spirited Away and I'm not sure if that's the look you're going for, but it just jumped out at me at first glance.

Steve Anthony Pierce
CD Sketchbook | Artstation | Instagram | Blog | Twitter | DA | Facebook
Just trying to fix the background... I like the slanted background a lot but she's not in the right perspective for it so I've tried some other things. I still think the slanted one is more "magical" and interesting but it does just look like it's falling into the ground.

:c

Any advice?

(02-03-2012, 04:20 PM)StevePierce Wrote: This is looking really good! One thing I'm unsure of is how deep and sunken her eyes are. I've never seen Spirited Away and I'm not sure if that's the look you're going for, but it just jumped out at me at first glance.

Yeah they're not sunken in the film at all, she's got the usual massive anime eyes ha. I just had it like that because of the way I initially added the shadow but I think I will make them a little lighter. Thanks!

More rendering and more fixing. No feedback on the background angle yet so I've tried to work on the diagonal one more to make it work. Making my brain hurt now x.x

Gonna do studies the next few days to try and improve my rendering.

Only four more days D:

Edit: Just realised how badly I left the wolf's face, just ignore that bit (;