Hay!
Hello folks!

My name is Alexander, and I like to draw! I graduated from Guilford College 2010 with a double major in Geology and Information Tech and minors in Drawing and Ceramics. I did that in four years, which to some people says 'motivated' but could be better described as 'indecisive'. If you are wondering what one does with a geo/IT/drawing degree fresh off the press the answer is become locally renowned for making hello kitty latte art at your barista job.

Amidst a sea of youthful professional hopelessness I found some measure of relief in my art, and I began taking classes again part time. I did quite a bit of printmaking, some painting and drawing, but I was becoming really fed up with people telling me my work was too narrative and that I relied too much on representation. I was starting to feel a little bit crestfallen until I took a fantasy illustration class with Matthew Stuart (magic card illustrator) where I was starting to realize there was a world out there where you could draw awesome dragons and not be slave to PoMo nonsense.

I enrolled in a Illustration/Design program at a local design school. (I also have a strong interest in Graphic Design. I think the highly mechanical part of my brain that enjoyed Science and Programming took well to font selection and type layout. I do some freelance design for my local library.) I made straight A+'s but unfortunately I found myself taking out new student loans to make a bunch of shitty collages and write papers about things I'd already been taught. I didn't draw a damn thing, and I felt a marked decline in my skills because I was too busy doing busy work to actually make art. I dropped out after a semester. I applied and was admitted to some much more prestigious institutions (SCAD, SVA) but I just cant swing the tuition.

So, I find myself here with roughly a sophomore's education in the arts trying to teach myself the rest of the way. I understand that I have some raw potential but not the technical prowess. THIS ARTICLE led me here. Despite some setbacks though I'm feeling hopeful about my future and even if I never make it as a professional artist or designer I'm enjoying making work. I'm looking for community and critique and hoping that I can be of value in return.
Hay! Haha
Welcome to the daggers, Alexander!

I was in the same boat as you about the 'indecisive' course part, so I know that feel ;_;

Yeah haha isn't it funny how people with different views on subject matter judge art. With the whole "you're doing it wrong!" attitude :/
Oohh, really cool to hear you took some classes with the one and only Matthew Stuart! I can only imagine how awesome that would've been!

ah yes - that article by Noah Bradley has brought a lot of newcomers to our community :D
and for good reasons!

I hope you enjoy your stay and join in on all the action CD has to provide!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all