Crackbook
Thanks again Sam. What I meant at "fast speeds" was that I made lines too fast for me to handle, with practice someday I will be able to make fast lines that are accurate and clean.

Took the advice and put 3.5 hours into this Loomis segment. Focused on the linework, it was quite hard not to make scratchy lines at first, but I sort of got around it. Had some fallacies here and there, but overall it is better than previous line quality.
Loomis 48

Great job Crackedskull! That looks so much more confident

Good to know Sam.

Did this environment piece, used a study to get me on my feet and continued from there. At some point it looked incredibly messy, but I got it under control. Used a wide array of hues.

Gotta agree with Sam...that is some nice improvement.

I have struggled with line quality for years, but feel like I am finally starting to develop a line quality that I am comfortable with. I have been focusing on speeding up by slowing down. Essentially taking the focus away from the labor of creating lines, and putting the emphasis on the line placement, and thinking through how I want the finished sketch to look.

Also, make sure you are paying attention to the construction of the elements, and making sure your forms turn.

Keep at it!

Haha yeah I think we've all been there with line confidence and quality...

It took me ages to figure out what worked for me with drawing. I tried doing what Sam suggested earlier, about drawing one line, even if it's incorrect and leaving it - but it didn't work for me. I think something that Ivan (iCi) posted in my sketchbook helped me a lot. He said something along the lines of - 'don't worry about the beauty of the line itself, try to think volume and form for a bit'.
When I read this, something clicked. Line confidence will come with lots of practise, but yeah - form and volume are key to drawing (and fundamental to painting). If you really want to improve your lines, don't worry about it too much, as it will improve over time if you practise.
Just by doing some 10-30min warm-ups every morning helps, for example drawing lines & ellipsis' like Feng Zhu does. Also check out yoitisi's assignments if you haven't already. But another thing that helped me a lot with my drawings in general is: drawing from life. Not life drawing (although that works wonders) but just pencil to paper, drawing whatever's lying around. May seem boring... but observation skills are also fundamental.

Sorry for all the first-person crap. But I hope this helps in some way, cracked!
Keep up the great work and keep pushing no matter what!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Thanks for feedback on forms'n'lines Smrrfette and Brian.

Shipwreck study.

Watched Feng Zhu's videos and decided to try and focus on 3d forms in perspective, did this quick basic sketch. Should have also measured the spaces between the legs using the box method, but it got pretty messy so I just went with it for now.

Analysed the Vp's of this overview shot, I think there is some lens distortion near the edges.

Did various exercises to improve my sense of perspective, everything from mapped out buildings to buildings constructed without seeing the vanishing points. Also served for practicing straight lines. I fpund the vertical lines to be quite hard, escpecially with the slippery tablet.

by lens distortion do you mean how the buildings flare out diagonally? That happens because we're looking down at the buildings, it's a slightly 3-point scene.

Something like that.

Further tried to understand stuff in 3d space. Did not focus on accuracy of the vanishing points. One of them is out of the canvas so I tried to eyeball it. So there are some inconsistancies here and there. Also I tried to sense the forms in space rather than meticulously measure everything.

Did some random doodling.

Quick concept, experimented with a lot of different brushes, havent fixed the values.

Good perspective exercises !
I think I have already read it on your topic but in case : don't hesitate to remake tons of times the same line instead of making multiple tiny lines to make one big, it will force you and after times it will come naturally, don't hesitate to make moves with your all forearm, that's not only the hand that is moving to make direct lines !

In any case keep the hard work up :D !

Sure thing Izz, I keep hammering the same thing in my head.

Now an update on everything.
The (impossibly hard) summer goal that I set myself has failed. I didnt write it down nor did I track my progress. Nontheless it has been a great journey and Ive improved a lot. This is the end of 1st goal on my progress. Last few days I focused on reading a book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Willpower-Why-Se...0141049480)
I strongly suggest that you get it. It will help with everything.

2nd chapter: Continue with your work until new year.

I will do at least 3 hours of art every day aside from school. On weekends more. I will also monitor my progress more closely.
End goal: Have atleast 90 hours worth of art done by the end of this month.

Day 1- Success.
3/3 (hours)

Car perspective study.

Landscape quickstudies

Concept update

Day 2: Success
3/3 hours done.

Started up with Vilppu studies.

Then did a quick painting practicing perspective. Lineart is much more accurate, but also harder and takes a lot more time.

Lastly started up on oh this piece, that is loosely based on a dream I had a while ago. Crits welcome.

Your work is coming on leaps and bounds. Very impressed with your progress :3 Keep it up!!

Ps. If you haven't guessed the recording failed again, I'm thinking my laptop can't handle it :'(

© missimoinsane:  Daggers Sketchbook  |  deviantART  |  Facebook Page  |  Personal Webpage 
Thanks Missi :)

Day 3: Success
3/3 hours done.

Today was more difficult(procrastination), but got it done.
What put me in a good mood and increased the productivity was the fact that my tablet's pen pressure was back. Hope it doesnt break down tomorrow.
Vilppu 4

Nature study

Quicksketch from head.

Finished the concept. There are some underlying mistakes like the whole image tilting to one side and whatnot so I'll leave this be for now and wont go into rendering. Think I will do this again in the future, got the idea down so it wont be a problem redoing it.

keep working hard man !
What a massive improvement. I am speechless (first for everything) and impressed.

© missimoinsane:  Daggers Sketchbook  |  deviantART  |  Facebook Page  |  Personal Webpage 
Day 4: Success
3/3 hours done.

Thanks Ben, will do.
Thank you again Missi. I feel that I'm getting a grasp on art, everything is coming to me faster and more fluent.

Vilppu 5

2h train study(with some tweaks)

Wow... didn't see this coming!! Brilliant stuff. Well done you!