Beard Clippings
Hey man, nice sketchbook! :) I can see the progress you made since the first post, and that is awesome. The chicken-man is weird but kind of cool.

What are you making those basic shape warm-ups with? I'm guessing you are in in PS with a blue background a white brush.

Looking forward to your next post! :)
The animal warriors turned out really nice! If anything, give the Rooster's eye a cyan dot of high light, and make the spears bigger.

Focus.
@Sagitarrius Thanks! I'm using a blueprint texture/photo I found on google (it was one of the first results) and a set of "pencil brushes" that I got from Jan Ditlev on gumroad. All his brushes are awesome by the way, absolutely love them and they're free https://gumroad.com/ditlev

@meat Thanks man and thanks for the feedback! That blob of colour on his eye was a placeholder for the highlight but I never got around to it haha thanks for bringing that up :D, though I don't think it would be a dot since it would be reflecting the sky. Also made the first set of spears larger but kept the others smaller to suggest some depth

Updated chicken warrior
[Image: 2qia1pe.jpg]

Thumbnail sketches for CROW Racnor
[Image: 2po1cfs.jpg]

Picked the best ones and did another pass of line/design on them, trying to expand my design sense and line skills!

[Image: 2wfl1ft.jpg]

The one I went with! I asked if anyone had any favorites and adzerak picked the beetle-like one so I finished it up. This came out surprisingly well. I tried the Ambient occlusion technique, and while interesting as a process I was worried for a long time that it wasn't going to work out well, and it didn't so I had to make do with what I had and use my old grayscale to colour technique to finish it up

[Image: b4b2ja.jpg]

I also like some of the other designs from the 5 thumbs from before, so I'll post those up once they're done. Anymore crits are still appreciated on anything ! :)

Some very tasty pieces there Patrick, your chicken warrior is a portfolio piece for sure

Where is my mind?

Sketchbook
Cooooool, went through your sketchbook fastly without reading much. Need to find a time to do so, i'm sure alot good info is covered all arround. I've seen some truly beautiful paintings, your progress is awesome man, will keep an eye on you. The Chicken Warrior and the boy with the dog looks epic, love the lighting and overall look. Oh, and i love knights alot too! :D keep it up!!
@Rork and nymph0: Thanks!

More warmup
[Image: 2vj36t5.jpg]

Another one from the CROW Racnor challenge, not really anything to do with it just liked the design
[Image: 28jimiw.jpg]

I also got some good feedback on the chicken warrior piece and changed it a bit, mostly: Value separation, rendering on the main character, and some small anatomical issues. There's probably more to fix but I've spent far too much time on this already, I need to move on to make more folio pieces
[Image: qwyv0g.jpg]

Awesome man! Those characters are great. Really like the lighting quality in your work :)

Outstanding design, specially in the chicken warrior! All the characters have personality. My favorite is the hilarious dog on the bottom.

The rendering and light are superb too.

Nice SB man ... really like the chicken warrior :) (and the included pun hahaha)

Hey Patrick, went and checked out those brushes- they are pretty cool, thanks for the heads-up! :) Loving the beasties you are designing. Just keep up the awesome work, brother!
Naive.super: Thanks! Lighting is certainly my favorite part of painting, I just need to expand my colours out of brownsville a bit haha

Alexandre Belmonte: Thanks! Good to hear my designs are coming along ok :D I'm quite fond of the little dog myself as well

Adrian: Thanks man, what pun is that? :o

Sagitarrius: Yea they're lots of fun, not perfect but still the closest to traditional feels I've come across so far. I'm having lots of fun designing those beasts and rendering them so glad they're fun to look at:) And I certainly will, you too man

Sorry for not posting for a few days, I've not had much time to work lately but hopefully by the next friday things should be sorted out! I have been slowly working on my folio and eyeing out a company I will apply to and look for some work

Some quick figure studies
[Image: 29duzi0.jpg]

Some more design stuff
[Image: 1z3rnzb.jpg]
[Image: rl9el1.jpg]
[Image: 99jlub.jpg]

Colour study

[Image: 16hqbtf.jpg]

CROW City under siege
[Image: etruiq.jpg]

The latest crow challenge wip
[Image: a1r443.jpg]

More studies and sketches

[Image: 15czrfa.jpg]
[Image: fci2c1.jpg]
[Image: 2qu5abo.jpg]
[Image: 35cpe14.jpg]

[Image: 2zhntbo.jpg]
[Image: 2u8f0ye.jpg]
[Image: 4r2b79.jpg]
[Image: fp4dix.jpg]

[Image: 5l2pso.jpg]
[Image: 29w4r2t.jpg]

Hi Patrick. I like the look of that second piece you've last posted, it looks like it is progressing well. I'm also quite intrigued by that last one. Looks like a strange humanoid/angler fish phoenix hybrid!

Thanks man! I think the one you're referring to was a short study I did by the way, just wanted to get a feel for the colours. And the last one was for the Toroto challenge. I finished it on time but completely forgot to post it to the challenge page LOL

Also, there was some weird error with the uploads last time, some random picture of a bunch of girls was in there for some reason? I don't know, I removed it now but I think this was supposed to be the picture I wanted

[Image: 2cwkhds.jpg]

Edit: HAHA WTF It's happening again, I reuploaded the pic. I'm gonna leave that there, it's quite amusing
[Image: 21a0gfp.jpg]

and the final. I used a bit of 3d to get the stair perspective and to iterate on some poses for the orc on the right
[Image: t8527m.jpg]

and heres the toroto
[Image: wlrwbl.jpg]

oh yeshh man ! so much works since i last got here! tell me your secret!!

@foxfire haha, i don't do that much man. There's usually about a week between posts. Just do a bit every day, take your time to learn what you need to learn and if you get bored of a piece quickly, start working on multiple pieces at the same time (ie switch between pieces every few hours/days or whatever). Also don't forget to do things that YOU like doing! Studies can get pretty boring

Another character, this time I used a name generator to get the ball rolling

[Image: 29bzrf6.jpg]

Some studies

[Image: 2re0i8p.jpg]
[Image: i3xrad.jpg]
[Image: 25fqf85.jpg]
[Image: zsnvv6.jpg]

Playing around with colours
[Image: 98zm88.jpg]
[Image: 2je4q6b.jpg]

A couple people pointed out this guys head was too small so I revised it. It was intended to be big armor, small head. But it doesn't work too well if the armor is not quite big. Awkward middle ground is awkward

[Image: fx3r40.jpg]

I think it looked ok before, but what feels weird to me is the connection between neck and torso, feels his neck is projecting back but there is empty space where his traps would be. Move the whole head down a bit maybe... great armour though! awesome design and colours.

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
How about enlarging the head, but also giving him larger shoulders?

[Image: wuHgGqx.png]

And what jyonny said, there is something weird with his neck and knees that makes him feel unbalanced, like he's gonna fall or he's forcing the pose.

Good work mate ;)

Thanks jon and gliger! I think you're right about the head, I'll fix it asap. Not sure what you mean about the knees though, do you think you could explain what you mean a little more? And I really like what you did with the shoulders there gliger, I think I'll fix that for sure!

Some studies

[Image: 2j61ldw.jpg]
[Image: 91dpiw.jpg]

Colour experiments and trying to tackle my weakness in drawing the face from imagination, especially when it comes to the eyes. I found a bunch of really, really good ref today though so I will start working from that soon

I feel like I'm finally understanding where I'm going wrong, usually with the size of the eyes, but there's still lots to work on generally (also I know the eye on the pink one is especially messed up, i only let myself work on it in one 30 ish minute session)
[Image: aze97n.jpg]
[Image: 2cpsxg2.jpg]
[Image: eai2o4.jpg]

[Image: 4u9lia.jpg]
[Image: 2zizccl.jpg]

Some thumbs for a piece

[Image: 2cyr1w5.jpg]

and the one I went with. Probably going to be very challenging :o I'm not so sure about the perspective here, any thoughts? Not trying to get 100% accurate but the things on the edges bother me
[Image: vpzx43.jpg]

[Image: 292bko1.jpg]

Another thumb/comp sketch
[Image: 2a83inl.jpg]

And finally something I started and realized I had no idea what I was doing so stopped lol. I think I'm going to focus mostly on characters from now on, at least for a while. whenever I switch to creatures or other animals it's like starting from 0 again
[Image: spx9pk.jpg]