Chunky Peanut Butter Sketch
Brick 
Hello! I heard about this place a while back, decided to finally join it. Hopefully I'll be able to keep with it and you'll see a noticeable improvement in my work, sometime in the future! I'll admit, I'm kind of really intimidated by the quality and skill I've seen on here. I looked through the emoticons available for the most earnest looking one and this was the best I could find to describe how I feel: D1eef220

Little intro, since I didn't make an intro thread cause I don't know why not augh.
I'm seventeen with high hopes for college and my future. I know I'm not going to be doing art as a career, but I want to develop my skills so that I can do it whenever I'm not doing my main career. This and music. I really welcome critique on anything and everything I do, and please be detailed since sometimes I just can't see what's wrong.
What I need to do to improve is practice everyday, and dedicate more of my life and time to it. That's where I personally struggle the most. I'm hoping this might help me do better.

First off is a more recent piece. My courier (player character) from Fallout: New Vegas. The gun hold was referenced, nothing else was.
[Image: SyldTzQ.png]
An exercise in extremes, which I have trouble with. I also have trouble with sticking things out, as you will notice by the low-effort legs.

Second is a piece from a few months ago. I only recently scanned this and cleaned up the lines. It's a tiefling from Dungeons and Dragons, holding a storm weir or something I don't know.
[Image: JYgZtjI.png]

Advice would definitely be helpful!!!!! I have flipped the images a couple of times, and noticed weird things, off things about them, but can't quite pin it down. I also know of Loomis and such, but haven't tried his methods. I get pretty frustrated with "learning to draw". Thank you all for your time!

I think I might try and do some black and white value studies next. I have a bad problem with color, so best to start there.
Here's that value study. It's a lot harder than I thought! I've done a great value portrait using colored charcoal before, and it's a lot different digitally. I'll add that old portrait once I've got it scanned, but for now, rough progress on this study.
The reference picture:
http://step-in-time-stock.deviantart.com...-205190187
[Image: postcards__c__1900_by_step_in_time_stock-d3e5xrf.jpg]

And my work:
[Image: Xg35hW1.png]

And just to see how this method worked with color:
[Image: fLCtNR9.png]

Hopefully I'll be able to show further progress on this bit soon. Thanks for your time!
Some more progress. Slow but steady. Well, not really steady. Mostly just slow.

[Image: Ob0X4Bi.png]

Difference is mostly in the hair and eyes. Still working with the mouth. Any crit would definitely be appreciated!