What kind of tutorial would you pay for?
Hey Daggers!

I'm busy at work creating free tutorials related to digital painting, art motivation, and everything in between. I've written down the most popular youtube and deviantart topics to cover, but these are for the free videos I'm posting.

I want to know what digital artists would pay for in a $5.00-$10.00 in-depth yet simple video/voice tutorial.

How long would you like it to be?

What subjects, fundamentals, or techniques, or processes would you like to learn?

What kind of style most appeals to you?

and most importantly...What is the #1 thing you want to get out of watching the tutorial?

I'd really love some feedback as I'm a bit stuck on this point.

I want to create very affordable and insightful tutorials, but I want to make sure I'm not spinning my wheels by making a 120 minute video that no one is interested in or doesn't provide value...

So this is an opportunity for me to solve art-related issues for the community and pass down the knowledge I gain through my thorough research.

Thanks in advance guys <3.

||SKETCHBOOK||. Bomb
Youtube Channel (Process, Tips on how to get work, etc...)
(08-05-2013, 11:10 AM)Einver Wrote: Hey Daggers!

I'm busy at work creating free tutorials related to digital painting, art motivation, and everything in between. I've written down the most popular youtube and deviantart topics to cover, but these are for the free videos I'm posting.

I want to know what digital artists would pay for in a $5.00-$10.00 in-depth yet simple video/voice tutorial.

How long would you like it to be?

What subjects, fundamentals, or techniques, or processes would you like to learn?

What kind of style most appeals to you?

and most importantly...What is the #1 thing you want to get out of watching the tutorial?

I'd really love some feedback as I'm a bit stuck on this point.

I want to create very affordable and insightful tutorials, but I want to make sure I'm not spinning my wheels by making a 120 minute video that no one is interested in or doesn't provide value...

So this is an opportunity for me to solve art-related issues for the community and pass down the knowledge I gain through my thorough research.

Thanks in advance guys <3.

You should make videos that get people to THINK about working digitally. What the benefits are and what parts of Photoshop one needs to care about if they intend to paint. That can be daunting for many beginners. especially if they have no experience with illustration. Make some kind of users manual for the beginner.
(08-05-2013, 11:29 AM)DanDussault Wrote: You should make videos that get people to THINK about working digitally. What the benefits are and what parts of Photoshop one needs to care about if they intend to paint. That can be daunting for many beginners. especially if they have no experience with illustration. Make some kind of users manual for the beginner.

I hadn't considered this very much! thanks Dan.

I think that might be a better free tutorial though. If I were unsure about something I wouldn't spend and money on it. I'd love to persuade people to begin digital art for just a couple minutes of their time as opposed to $ from their wallet.

I've actually recorded a 25-minute beginner tutorial that I just need to talk over already covering very rudimentary aspects of painting in photoshop. I'm going to do a 5-minute video about setting up workspace though too, but once again, these are freebies :P.

||SKETCHBOOK||. Bomb
i think the best idea if you are really into making tutorial it to make a book and add cd tutorial or a complet set of cd tutorial
Since I want to improve in every area of my work I'm interested in every subject, and seeing how you tackle it.

However, what I would pay for --

Quote:and most importantly...What is the #1 thing you want to get out of watching the tutorial?

Subtitles. Because I'm hearing impaired and unable to listen, I have almost never watched any tutorial videos so far. It's just boring if one can't understand anything.

For a good closed-captioned tutorial from a skilled artist I'd gladly pay cash In love

-------------------------------------------
KRISTINA GEHRMANN - Illustration - Painting - Concept art
Portfolio: http://www.mondhase.com
Blog: http://www.mondhase.com/blog

Darktiste: I thnk that a process .pdf would be a great add-on to tutorials, but a full blown book is something I'll reserve for later. As for CD sets, If a tutorial because popular I might extend it into a series, thus giving people more of what they want.

Maidith: Wow, what valuable input. I'm sure many artists are ignorant as to the hearing impaired, and thus they don't utilize subtitles. We can learn very well textually, especially when accompanied by visual demonstration.

Thanks for your input guys! feel free to keep contributing to this thread as I work on my tutorials! I've got the website up and running, but I've not enough content to justify it's official launch. I'm aiming for 8/17 or 8/18.

||SKETCHBOOK||. Bomb
The point maidith raised is an excellent one, and one I hadn't thought about until I read her comment.

As for something I would pay for , it would need to be done in real time high Def quality to see what is being done and actually be 1 or 2 hours long accompanied with voice over. Kind of similar to some of Feng Zhu's latest videos but covering fundamentals. Fundamentals are the foundation on which everything stands so you could begin covering that and build into the others such as technique etc.

I think the best way to make a tutorial is to be both visual and theorical and short and simple for beginner to intermediate 15-30min for advance 15-45min for pro 25-45min but a tutorial should be aim to reach as many people as possible and should be able to teach something to Visual, auditory and kinesthetic people.

The tutorial should start with the a list of the aspect that will be discussed then you make the viewer see some of the result he can obtain doing the tutorial(show the final result expected to be reach at the end of the video(the hook)). Show how you do it .The theorical part should be written in a pdf so it can be re-read or edit to make it simple to understand the vocabulary should always be adapted to the client.
The content should also be simplify to it simpliest form.

Idea of how to improve quality of tutorial
Some screenshot showing step by step process. A list of short-cut use in to making the tutorial.A list of reference use to do the tutorial.A list of common error to avoid.The brush size type file pack use in the video.