Hello there!
Hi. My name is Valency. I'm a senior year graphic design student in the U.S. currently. I've mostly done logos and generic painting, but not a whole lot in the vein that you guys do. I have, however, followed several of you for a bit now and decided it was high time that I join. You guys are the best of the best and I'd like to follow that if I may.

My drawing skills are, at best, mediocre. You can get a glimpse of what I'm currently capable of here: http://valencygraphics.deviantart.com/ga...?catpath=/ There's nothing earth-shattering, but I'd like to get there and put in the hours this next year to do it. I really think that my graphics would improve drastically if I can get some rudimentary basics down. I have a few goals already in mind:

1. Speedpainting a day. Kind of like a photographer's "photo a day for a year," this is for warm-up, practice, work, or all three. I have no idea what I'll do each day, but if you folks have some pointers, it won't go unappreciated!
2. (At least a) Portrait a week via /r/redditgetsdrawn. I know one of the ways you get better at subjects and matter is to keep drawing and drawing and drawing. Redditgetsdrawn seems to be a decent place to get some subject matter that I can use This will be the first year that I get extremely involved in making sure this is a priority (after schoolwork, of course!).

Any tips, tricks, critiques, slams, praises, compliments, ridicules, or meh's are welcome to me. I learn the most from constructive critique and having reasons for the change indicated explained to me.

First tip I would need: I just got an intuos 4 small. I am super excited to test it out once I get to school, but I'm wondering if there's a guide out there to give me an idea of how to set it up in a way that's suitable for working on painting or just to start out with until I figure out how I want to set it up? Thanks and hope to see you all very soon. :D

Attached Files Image(s)

Graphic Designer

Deviantart: ValencyGraphics
[Image: ValencYSignatureupdate.png]
Hey there,

I'm new here myself, but I recently watched these tutorial vids from Shaddy Safadi that I found very helpful.

He has a brush pack and a diagram of his tablet layout that I started using that helped save me a lot of time.

Good luck!

Mike D.

Thanks!

Graphic Designer

Deviantart: ValencyGraphics
[Image: ValencYSignatureupdate.png]
Hello, looks good! You can go to Control Panel> Tablet Settings to set up your tablet's specific parameters in whatever program you're using. In Photoshop I have alt mapped to one button on the pen for quick color picking, and right click on the other to change brushes on the fly.
Hello and welcome to Crimson Daggers :D

I am rather intrigued with your different art styles and concepts - Keep up the fab work. I look forward to seeing more from you and to seeing your sketchbook :D

mii
Ps. Loving the last piece. However the guy figure seems a lil out of proportion to me. He seems like he's got a regular upper half but then very short legs, like a dwarf (small person - trying not be be offensive here!) ...not sure if that was what you was going for. ~ Just thoughts.

© missimoinsane:  Daggers Sketchbook  |  deviantART  |  Facebook Page  |  Personal Webpage