Thumbnails for spooky hospital
Nah man, it's not completely unsalvageable, I just thought you had a brief to work to so it confused me why you left them out of the thumbs. It's totally fine, and with personal work I often just wing it with no thumbs and add stuff as I go, but with these paintings I also am very ready to scrap major portions and change gears if it isn't working. The difference is that the things I add always stem from things that might improve the actual picture itself which include reworking a comp completely to encorporate a new idea if it needs it. With this piece you picked a comp, then are trying to bolt on additions including ideas that majorly change the focus of the piece. It can work, but you are basically restricting yourself from really exploring the new ideas. If you really want to be cautious what you can do is add a new layer and then draw ideas over the original first. Not paint, just line drawing. It's easy to test lots of ideas quickly this way

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Yeah this was far too rushed and badly thought through. I know what i want to do now, ive ditched the defences, i want a kind of 'suprise' element to it, so they dont know the zombies are creeping closer.
Anyway, did a complete rework, tell me what you think.
Cheers!

Attached Files Image(s)

That's just not finished, major changes still need to be made before it's IP development quality. It needs detail, more colouring or variation in colour temperature, and clarity. The fastest methods for getting these are:

-Photo reference
-Photo textures
-Brushes with random patterns

And in other works try to be more interesting with architectural perspective. Your attitude is good, conducive to learning. I personally think that the original hospital pic held more promise.

If you know what style you want the final work to be then it's a lot easier. I'm not subscribed, so I won't know if you reply, this is just what I think at a glance.
Yep you're right, this wasnt meant to be a finished version by any means, this is a blocking out of what I want where, just wanted to update people with my new composition.
I definitely need more colour variation but i dont know where to get it from, im thinking of having reddy pink as the main light source on the left, and then having a new dawn feel to it, but im not sure it captures what i want in this. I will still have some lights on in the hospital, and will detail the windows and doors etc of course. I'm using a distressed plaster texture at the moment, will update when ive rendered a bit more.
Hm yes i considered doing a imposing worms eye view shot with 3 point perspective, and a couple other things, but i didnt think that it displayed the full hospital well enough and i thought that was the main thing in a architectural concept. Its a fair point though, the only redeeming factor of a very boring composition is the dynamic angle i suppose... Will render a lot more and then update, will see if you like it any more!
Thanks for the comment buddy, appreciated.
I'd say push the perspective in the building a bit more...can't tell but it looks flat on. And think about more depth layers , don't render till you nail the composition and all the major elements or you'll end up right back where you started....blah blah I feel like I'm repeating myself a bit. Just push this one through.

What might help you for the next one is maybe to try not jumping into a value sketch/thumb right away but just trying out some really basic line drawing/sketching. You can usually iterate through 10 or more in an hour easy. Composition first no value. And work on a small canvas so you aren't tempted to add detail. If you can literally just use a few lines to block out major elements it keep you thinking on the larger picture. I have started doing this with my own process and I find it quite helpful. The sketch can just be shorthand or you can get quite detailed, and you can easily transition to value blocking.

The one on the left shows the final, and you can see that I did change things as I went, but for the most part the main elements that were in the original 10 minute sketch carried through in to the final, though seeing them all together now I still prefer much of the dynamism of the orignal sketch and interim stage which shows I probably should have checked back and stuck to the original a bit more.
The one on the right is very recent...really rough and I will still need to resolve issues with composition at this stage because not everthing I want to show is in there. I blocked out the values in literally 2 minutes, I could experiment with lots of different lighting at this stage. Anything further would just be adding detail.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
yeh got some good things planned to help add depth, it should pay off hopefully.
really love your sketches with linedrawing, will give those a shot next time. not sure what to do with the perspective, because i want the entire thing to be in view and i always seem to end up accidently pushing the building around too much (rotating). I could do a 3 point perspective style thing but the camera would need to be closer for that i think. will have a play around with it and see what happens, thanks for the tips. will be adding more dramatic lighting too i think ,its a bit bland at the moment.
cant wait for your next piece, i always enjoy your paintings bro :) love how non-cliche and really wacky but stylish you make them.
will update soon, thanks for the thoughts!