Minke's Sketchbook
Hello, my internet alias is Minke and this is my sketchbook. I'm currently a high school student looking forward to studying architecture but I also love the illustration/concept art world. Here I'll try my best to remember to post sketches, stream announcements, and WIPs.

My schedule can sometimes be overwhelming so let me apologize in advance if it takes me a while to reply to messages

You can also find me at http://kittenile.deviantart.com and http://livestream.com/kittenile

[Image: xS65VQv.jpg]
A sketch I did over the summer.

[Image: uH0qSW3.jpg]
A moth inspired character. (legs are something I struggle with, I recognize that this time they're a bit too short...)

[Image: ittozWd.jpg]
A landscape with rocky cliffs and a waterfall.

[Image: TrceREA.jpg]
A sort of fantasy/sci-fi city from far away

[Image: VmB6GTV.jpg]
This is a WIP I mean to lineart and paint digitally by December. I am opting for a more anime style since this is actually a fan character for the anime Naruto and this December will mark 10 years since I started watching the series. I need to move the facial features a little, re-do the right hand, and do some kangaroo studies to re-do the kangaroo in the back.

(also, here's the character's appartment: http://kittenile.deviantart.com/art/Amy-...-393955422)

..... now that I notice it, I really am an unconventional fan XD

[Image: jECy1Mp.jpg]
Drawing a coyote round 2!! After some studies, I've decided to re-do this piece http://kittenile.deviantart.com/art/Sigh-378659676 in watercolors. This is just a WIP so I didn't spend much time on adjustments, just used the curves to make it more visible since it almost didn't show up (the original is much lighter and de-saturated).
[Image: 9xhekz3.jpg]
Where I live there's an upcoming flower festival and there's a contest to make a traditional piece that'll be used as a poster for the event. This is a WIP.

About to start streaming at http://livestream.com/kittenile
Here's a piece I've been working on for a while (could have finished long ago if only I had more free time... been only able to work on it for 1-4 hours at a time). The character is missing only a few details/corrections but I still need to fix the composition in background - planning on making it somewhat wider and narrower and applying the rule of thirds. Colors will also need some tweaking once composition is set.

I'm pretty sure this weekend I'll have a good share of time to work on it and stream my work.[Image: PQFd9Oe.jpg]

PD: In case you're wondering, the background is on a layer on top of the character and the areas where the character is are masked off.
*edit: the arms here are extremely messed up (changed them already but still need some tweaks, hopefully might finish this painting this weekend).

A little fun piece I'm working on for fun. It comes from a quick little doodle I did on school notes. I was lining it for a warm-up but I really liked how it was coming out so I'm planning on fleshing it out and using it for an icon :D
[Image: kDp32aM.jpg]
rough idea

[Image: jbVAYov.jpg]
current progress

PD: background textures are self-made

A little sneak peek of my next digital piece. Not going to work more on it until I finish the elf one though - gotta go one at a time, else I get overwhelmed. Really like how the rough is so I decided I wanted to share it (alongside with my chosen character and composition thumbnails).

[Image: oiLDkNe.jpg]
All the little details are there for reference in a separate layer.

[Image: dlGFPFt.jpg]
bumping to get updates on this thread :P

Really lovely watercolors!

I like how carefully you've studied folding, billowing cloth! It gives your work a touch of the classical.

Sketchbook

Let's learn hair and brushes!! While working on a somewhat ambitious piece I decided it might be time to branch out from hard-round and experiment with new brushes. I didn't know what brushes to get so I first did some experimenting with a free trial of corel since it's supposed to be similar to traditional brushes and might be a good exercise to just getting used to using different brushes and looking at the names of brushes I liked to see what brushes I should download.

[img][Image: uosmYEt.jpg][/img]

I then went to download a few brushes and keep only the ones I really liked (17 total brushes as of now). In case you're interested: most of the brushes I currently have are either adapted from corel brushes or self-made from scans/pictures of my traditional works, 2 are from Tatchit's 3rd brush set.

I decided then to test out my new brushes in photoshop with a portrait, then I realized I didn't know how to render hair. I had improvised a method earlier but it only seems to work with abundant wavy hair
[img][Image: mnwsSiH.jpg][/img]

I then did research and looked at how several other artist did hair, mostly in CGHub and youtube. (if you're struggling with how hair works I'd strongly recommend this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLxYo5TmyO8)

[img][Image: uv5ymCu.jpg][/img]
(I know it's not finished but let's remember that the main focus behind this was practice and learning, not a polished illustration)

[img][Image: M7Lkiwe.jpg][/img]
I also decided to try and apply this newly found knowledge traditionally.

It's a dragon!! He might or might not be the evolution to the icon I've yet to finish, I actually wasn't thinking about it when I did this one but they ended up looking similar.
[img][Image: Al1YbVb.png][/img]

[Image: QjFAJOn.jpg]
Due to school and college applications and family obligations I only had like 1-3 hours a week to paint and this piece was dragging on forever since every time I came back I saw things that needed to be fixed. I became really unhappy with the way the character looked since the anatomy was off and the clothes impractical, I tried fixing the clothes but my dislike for them remained.

I then decided to just focus on painting the background landscape.
[Image: LIyVhyZ.jpg]

I ended up liking the landscape more with a color filter though.
[Image: 220iQNs.jpg]

I haven't been able to do much polished work lately but I keep on drawing little sketches every day to keep on practicing.
[Image: t5btIJk.jpg]

Also, on halloween after finishing homework I stayed around Warmic's livestream. Where I grew up halloween doesn't really exist and I've never really gotten into it but I was having fun at the stream and decided to draw something for the occasion.
[Image: ZQ4VSEP.jpg]
(Sorry I forgot to erase some of my anatomy guidelines. Also, she was initially meant to hold a broom but the hand angle didn't really work well with a broom pole so I made her hold her skirt.)

I see several other errors in this such as the arm length and the tangent between her sleeve and skirt but overall I'm happy with it.

Just remembered these sketches I'd forgotten to upload

[Image: PYMVEMh.jpg]
[Image: vdcdBcZ.png]
[Image: R0ZT41Z.png]
[Image: OrqIeR8.jpg]
The sketchbook is not dead!!
I'm just... really bad about remembering to upload the drawings I make......
[img][Image: icbGV5c.jpg][/img]

I actually enjoyed making this compilation of sketches put together... I'm going to see if I can keep on making compilations like this and make a goal of uploading at least once a month.

Here are some more images:

[Image: Nbq3Fw2.jpg]
Testing out a self-made brush on a sketch.

[Image: MrP2Kws.jpg]
Made a sketch that reminded me of an older one, can't believe it's only been a little over a year in difference.

[img][Image: eMjoyRV.jpg][/img]
Was practicing backgrounds and atmospheric fog though that one log laying on the ground didn't end up so well....

[Image: DPo1vf6.jpg]
Experimenting with cell-shading and screen-tones. I really like how this one came out.

[Image: boEXOin.jpg]
A little boy and his river-monster pet. I'm not too sure how I feel about the monster's design but I truly love the composition and sketchy feel here.
Moved accounts! My new sketchbook thread is here: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-5092.html

Will definitely make sure to keep my newer sketchbook regularly updated - unlike this one.