Aleks's Artsy Hole of Noobishness
Question 
Hello everyone! My name is Aleksandra, but you can call me Aleks! I'm here to learn so every critique is welcomed! Confident, glad

Attached Files Image(s)

Daily Sketches

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome!

I see horned ladies so I'm obligated to comment immediately.

Really dig the first illustration, are you planning on developing it?

One thing I'm seeing consistently missing are some planes/harder angles. Here's something I learned: it's very hard to be precise with curves. They may look more appealing but you lose all sense of form and your figures turn to "clouds". Some ways to break out of that marshmallow prison are to sketch traditionally (stabilizers smoothing out your strokes often neglect the more subtle motions you may be doing, and therefore you won't remember them).

Look at bones! That's how you learn and remember landmarks. Proko has a good video on it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwt_wggUFHg

(06-15-2016, 10:42 AM)vlada Wrote: Welcome!

I see horned ladies so I'm obligated to comment immediately.

Really dig the first illustration, are you planning on developing it?

One thing I'm seeing consistently missing are some planes/harder angles. Here's something I learned: it's very hard to be precise with curves. They may look more appealing but you lose all sense of form and your figures turn to "clouds". Some ways to break out of that marshmallow prison are to sketch traditionally (stabilizers smoothing out your strokes often neglect the more subtle motions you may be doing, and therefore you won't remember them).

Look at bones! That's how you learn and remember landmarks. Proko has a good video on it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwt_wggUFHg
Thank you very much. And yeah I think I'll continue with the illustration, I'm kinda against a wall and don't know how to continue it huhu.

Thank you for the great critique and for the link for Proko's videos ^^. This will help me improve my studies on gesture and anatomy. Like if there is more mistakes that I've made please feel free to tell me. As I said in my first post here I'm here to learn. Be rough with the critiques!
Daily sketches. 15.06.2016

Attached Files Image(s)

Doodle

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey great updates!! Nice to see you keeping up with the daily figures. Slow down when you study: don't rush into a drawing, think about how the weight is distributed, think about what angles and proportional relationships you see.

You have a good sensitivity to value, but very poor sense of form: glazing something over and over with a transparent or soft brush is gonna make your edges and forms hesitant, "mushy". Have you tried studying some drapery from life? Just throw a t-shirt on a chair or something, you'll immediately see how many sharper lines and angles there are.

(06-17-2016, 08:31 AM)vlada Wrote: Hey great updates!! Nice to see you keeping up with the daily figures. Slow down when you study: don't rush into a drawing, think about how the weight is distributed, think about what angles and proportional relationships you see.

You have a good sensitivity to value, but very poor sense of form: glazing something over and over with a transparent or soft brush is gonna make your edges and forms hesitant, "mushy". Have you tried studying some drapery from life? Just throw a t-shirt on a chair or something, you'll immediately see how many sharper lines and angles there are.

Yeah I've noticed something was off with my form but didn't know what was is, thank you for pointing it out. I'll do more studies on clothes and drapery, to learn to draw the shapes and not look so mushy. Like I think that's one of my weakest things to draw, I'll get out of my comfort zone and start doing studies on that!
Studies

The first drapery is done at night, my only source of light was my monitor, that's why is so dark.

Attached Files Image(s)

Any C&C is welcomed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey Aleks, welcome to the forum! Looks like you are off to a good start. Keep studying that anatomy. Some of the proportions look off on your figures, so watch out for that. The value and drapery stuff is definitely valuable, so keep that up.

Looking forward to your next post!

"Drawing is a skill like hammering a nail. You might not be great at it yet, but there is nothing stopping you from gettin' down and hammering away." -Irshad Karim

Sketchbook!
Thanks dude I will!!

Attached Files Image(s)

An excellent start to your Sketchbook, Aleks. It's good to see you lay down a range of different concepts and studies to start. I would suggest moving onto studying the underlying musculature of your forms. You've got a good sense of their outline but there's some disproportion and lack of detail in many areas. You'll be hearing a lot around daggers - foundation is important!

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida