First step
I ended up my studies in video games and I am now in an intership until the end of the year.

When I finished school, I thought I was gonna work as hard as I could at home, so that I could pretend to have a job in 2D or 3D.
But I have a production rate very low. It's my principal problem. It was already my problem in school.
I have interesting ideas (at least I think), concepts etc, but they are worth nothing in the industry if I can't have them fast enough.
When I start a painting, I need a subject, I need references, I need to work on the composition.
I need to find an interesting concept, otherwise it's not worth spending time.
And when I finally start to paint, I want to change the composition again or I'm having "technical" troubles etc /laughing.

I can't seem to pass this obstacle.
And obviously it has a psychological effect on me -.-
(not having fun, apprehension when I'm on photoshop because I know that I'm not going to end the painting)

My goal would be to improve my production rate in those two months.
The only way to do that is to paint and stop asking questions.

So, I am gonna try doing two paintings a week.

First step to improve.

(10-21-2013, 04:41 AM)Fincks Wrote: I ended up my studies in video games and I am now in an intership until the end of the year.

When I finished school, I thought I was gonna work as hard as I could at home, so that I could pretend to have a job in 2D or 3D.
But I have a production rate very low. It's my principal problem. It was already my problem in school.
I have interesting ideas (at least I think), concepts etc, but they are worth nothing in the industry if I can't have them fast enough.
When I start a painting, I need a subject, I need references, I need to work on the composition.
I need to find an interesting concept, otherwise it's not worth spending time.
And when I finally start to paint, I want to change the composition again or I'm having "technical" troubles etc /laughing.

I can't seem to pass this obstacle.
And obviously it has a psychological effect on me -.-
(not having fun, apprehension when I'm on photoshop because I know that I'm not going to end the painting)

My goal would be to improve my production rate in those two months.
The only way to do that is to paint and stop asking questions.

So, I am gonna try doing two paintings a week.

First step to improve.

I got same problem as you bro. How are you getting on with beating this big sucking problem?

Focus.
At my school, I was doing an additional project on my free time. My teacher was helping me.
Doing it step by step helped me not going back to the previous one.
Concept --> References --> Composition --> Light script --> Color script --> Final Concept

The Light script/Color script was really helpful.

Now that I'm on my own, I think I need to restart doing studies to be at ease with lighting/color.
And I need to start doing at least 2 paintings a week, even if the concept of the painting is not that good, I need to be more spontaneous.

I don't know if I have the right method, but what I've learn is that if you ask yourself too many questions, you end up not having fun.

In the end, the solution is simple, you just need to draw more and seaking the f*cking right method prevents you from that.

So that's what I'm gonna do, and I hope in two months I can see some results !