How important is travel
In this age of hi-res photo, fast internet, huge monitor, and blu-ray nature documentaries, how useful is travelling to see sites with your own eyes? Especially if you're a concept artist for the entertainment industry, I imagine your vacation days are scarce, and you need all your spare time to get faster, and learn new softwares or techniques (or is that not true? I'm not in the industry yet)?

For example I'm interested in how historically people have built things without using metal, can I get the same education from online or libraries, or would those not be as good as a trip to Japan or to Scandinavia?

Focus.
I think it's the same for traveling as for art schools and courses and such things: you can basically learn the same stuff by yourself with free online resources, but the experience of going somewhere might affect you in a positive way, i.e. increase your inspiration and motivation.

As for your example, of course visiting these places will give you a richer experience, just because you're not simply confronted with written or depicted material behind a screen but also get a better feeling for the athmosphere of a place and you're experiencing what might still be alive of the ancient cultures in today's lives there. Visiting a lot of places surely enriches your visual library more than studying at home, because your brain makes connections between the food you eat, the air you smell and the people you meet, so you'll have a much more lifely vision of everything. But still, you can absolutely learn to correctly illustrate a historical culture's circumstances only by knowledge you find in books or the internet.

As for the spare time you have as an artist in the industry: That's very different from person to person. I'd never want to live my life only for work and if I ever find myself in a job that doesn't leave time for things like traveling or any social life, I'd sure as hell get outta there.

You can always use Street View. :D

It's a somewhat solitary existence, a bit like a lighthouse keeper throwing a beam out into the darkness, in faith that this action might help someone unseen.

BombMy Sketchbook (critique welcome)Bomb
traveling, discovering new places, meeting different kinds of people, living new experiences is very important regardless your job.
Traveling you will learn more about the world we live in and about yourself, and that is invaluable.
I've been in various countries around europe (but never left the continent, yet!) and i dont regret all the time and money spent on those travels, it was worthy.

I like to think its not essential, but maybe thats just me being hopeful, since personally im not fortunate enough to have the disposable income to to travel.

As Ed said, it is valuable regardless of your job. Traveling(specially to other countries) tend to have profound effects on people and help the individual grow and learn a lot about themselves. Is it extremely useful for art? Yes and no. You don't need to travel to japan and go to their museums to learn how they built trebuchets back in the day. That isn't going to help you anymore than a blueprint or image would. However, it could be useful in that EVERYTHING you do and see influences your view of how things look and work, and that will translate into your art.

Is it a critical thing to do? Nope. Could it be an eye opening experience? Of course!

Whenever i don't travel for too long, i get something i call "concrete disease". I go on murder sprees at night. I personally need it every now and then.

For everything else, i agree with terran.

I think traveling is great for inspiration, but it is expensive and time-consuming.

In terms of art/expanding your visual library, when you're traveling you don't absorb nearly as much as you want to, unless you're ritualistic with your documentation, studies, and you base your whole itinerary around finding all the key things you want to experience in your trip.

So it's a bit idealistic to think that it would be more beneficial than experiencing it through Google, but if it did help you then I'd say it'd be because it's a good excuse to get away from your sketchbook and give yourself a break, so you can come back to your studies afterwards with fresh eyes :).
Experience different cultures, explore places, see famous landmarks, and just generally take vacations to get away from routine daily life!
Travel is very important because a man can visit many places from this.
Someday when I finally climb out of my status of "disgusting 3rd worlder trying to illegally immigrate" I'm going to travel so much more <3

very important, imo. you get to see some crazy shit. i was in the navy and served on both coasts and lived overseas, so I literally got to see a lot of the world. if you grew up in the states like me, then you have been most likely living a very sheltered life. i call us the United States of bubble babies. the world is 'very' big and there is shit going on out there that will blow your fucking top. not to mention some of the hottest chics are out there too. no technology today will ever replace that experience. google maps, internet, nor books. get your passport picture taken and apply for your passport for like $100, i think it is today. it's good for like 10 years. then start saving for a trip to anywhere except greenland, polar bears are dicks.

I travel to have a good time site see and see different people and relatives. I love to go to new places and see how one lives and how the country side is like. the u.s. is the greatest place on this earth and hardly anyone really knows it so best travel.