wim's sketchbook
hi everyone!

I have a blog for some time now and now I need a sketchbook.
I like experimenting a lot with shape and form at the moment. And I have been doing mostly value studies.
So I should really start doing some more color & light studies...

Here are some sketches from the last couple of days, Feel free to check out my blog for older work http://mindschnapps.blogspot.be/

Thanks for visiting my sketchbook and come back soon :)

"oldies" first, this one is from Self portrait day (so this is me) changed the lighting a little and I would like to work on this some more, so... wip
[Image: 01112013.jpg]

from reference
[Image: stormtrooperchick.jpg]
[Image: 0111sketch.jpg]

spitpaint fun, couldn't finish these on time, too slow :(
[Image: plasma+rifle.jpg]

from reference
[Image: 0411malesketches.jpg]

and a 30 min spitpaint, (weather demon) yep I also need to get a lot better at speedpainting
[Image: weatherdemonspitpaint.jpg]
nice brush work man, try to separate your forms and keep pushing outside your comfort zones when you can. more! :)
thanks for the advice Ben, I'll work on that for sure!

so here are the studies & scribbles from today, 30 sec to 15 min, working on my fundamentals and just some doodles in between :)

[Image: 061113sketches.jpg]
so I want to study something different everyday, this day I did a couple of moviestills from Oblivion. Tips are always welcome :)

[Image: 07112013oblivion.jpg]
[Image: 07112013oblivion2.jpg]

and a rambo speedpaint i did yesterday before I went to sleep, this is as far as i could get it in 30 min
[Image: speedpaintrambo.jpg]
I love zen mode, portrait from imagination. I need to fix some stuff on this. This is probably going to be a wip, so crits are welcome
[Image: 07112013portrait.jpg]
Hey dude, nice work ! For the last piece, everything is about he same grey ! Try to play with local values a bit ( hair darker and backgrounder lighter is a possibility ! Also put a bit more contrast on your face, and think about the mouthline, eyrs and nose dots really dark !! Keep it up !

thanks for the advice man, I tried it out, more tips are always welcome.

[Image: 08112013portrait.png]
some boring stuff for you all to see, but fun to do for me :)
[Image: 09112013sketches.jpg]
I saw someone on this forum had done a beautiful study of Luis Ricardo Falero. So I looked him up and I was impressed with this radiant beauty the models in his paintings have. So I decided to do a master study of bedouin girl trying to capture a little of that beauty.

[Image: 10112013LuisRicardoFaleroBedouinGirl.png]
I bring you one golden robochick, one thumbnail page of sketches and one portrait of jimmy, a little boy who first was a girl but wanted a sex- and agechange soooo much Shock dammit jimmy i'm a painter not a doctor... woah lame! yep sorry for the bs... i'll shut up now Blushing

[Image: 12112013robotsketch.jpg]
[Image: 12112013Thumbs.jpg]
Just look how happy little jimmy is now Tongue
[Image: portrait12112013b.jpg]
so I realise now I was approaching my master studies completely wrong. Switched to doing more ugly little quick studies for now, focusing on value first and adding some color after, limiting myself to a few key values. I Also made an alien observer type droid, started in zbrush followed by a paintover in ps. And I started on my first oil-painting, needs a looot more work as you can see. crits and tips are welcome

[Image: 14112013masterstudies.jpg]
[Image: 16112013masterstudies.jpg]
[Image: alienmech17112013.jpg]
[Image: painting.jpg]
more studies and a sketch
[Image: 17112013masterstudies.jpg]
[Image: 1711scifiroberysketch.jpg]
studies and a couple things from imagination, trying out some other techniques in the portrait
[Image: 22112013frankenpunk.jpg]
[Image: soundtroopersketch.jpg][Image: 18112013masterstudies.jpg][Image: 2011masterstudiescomp.jpg]
hi hi, it's been a while, so here is some stuff

a forbidden planet study
[Image: 11122013forbiddenplanetstudy.jpg]

my first oil painting is finished, yey, allthough the photo messes up all the details. I learned a lot from it, and I think it is best to move on now and start something new
[Image: 11122013oilpaintingportrait.jpg]

this one started from a speedsculpt with the predefined theme 'lucifer's head chef'
[Image: chef.jpg]

close encounters study
[Image: 03122013closeencountersstudy.jpg]

Da Vinci speedsculpt
[Image: davinci.jpg]

Amphibian/lizardian
[Image: amphibian.jpg]