crit field lady
would love som crits/paintover with this.

Thank you very much daggers !

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi!
Pretty nice design.
What I think you could improve are:
- Value planning (start with blocking in some basic grayscale shapes, plan values on them, make them read, then add color - look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6BlTEytocc, see the paintover).
- The flovers at the bottom takes attention from character - you could try doing them less saturated and less contrasting.
- Balance colors, use less of them, if you need to use so many, don't treat them localy. What I mean by that is don't shade with black and white only. Thnik of the color of light source and reflected fill light color in the shadows. This might me helpful:
[Image: w640.jpg]
And this too: HOW TO COLOR
- What helped me with colors is searching for a reference photo with light conditions which I want to use and trying to add the same conditions to my painting (just like you would paint a study, but you have your own forms). This is a great place for neat quality reference: http://500px.com/

Hope it helped. I'm in my learning phase too and I had the same problems (or maybe still have), so don't worry and keep it up! Hopefully, somebody more advanced than me will add something to the feedback to make it better. :)

Attached Files Image(s)

It's a somewhat solitary existence, a bit like a lighthouse keeper throwing a beam out into the darkness, in faith that this action might help someone unseen.

BombMy Sketchbook (critique welcome)Bomb
Thanks alot mister. As you noticed i Have a pretty big weakness with colors. The links provided will help a ton. I asked for a crit on another forum and the person came up with this. Do you think its better ?

thank you so much for your time !! Super helpful !

Attached Files Image(s)

Yes it is better. The guy on another forum added more scale contrast which works really well. You can actually combine scale with my value planning to get the best result. After that, try to balance the colors. I don't know what are the light conditions there, but probably light is a bit warm - show that in the image - make the highlights a bit warm. The dress is white so for example get a white sheet of paper, light it with warm light. Bend it to get some shadow on it. Place something green near. Observe colors on it. Try applying them to your artwork.
Actually, muddy colors aren't bad start. You will have to figure out where to place saturated accents, where to add contrast, to make the piece really eye catching.
What would be also helpfull is the fact that semi-trasparent things (like for example grass, leaves, even skin) that are in intense light become very saturated (more in - James Gurney - Light and Color - great book).
Hope it helped.

It's a somewhat solitary existence, a bit like a lighthouse keeper throwing a beam out into the darkness, in faith that this action might help someone unseen.

BombMy Sketchbook (critique welcome)Bomb