Bulking out and toning :)
Hey all!
Ok so ive been gyming around every other day/ every 2 days for around a year and a half now, and im starting to get really frustrated.
I'm 17, 6ft1 and around 67kg, used to be 64kg.
Essentially i do days of the following:

Mon: Biceps, Chest, Abs
Tues: Cardio
Wed: Triceps, shoulders, abs
Thurs: Cardio
Fri: Back, Legs, abs
Sat: Cardio

My results are that ive become a bit more toned (ish) and i can feel hard muscle on my stomach and chest, and have gone from benching 40 to benching 50, arm curls 8kg to 12/14kg. So i've obviously made some improvement but im still visually the same as far as i can see.
I do ball exercises for abs which are properly nasty and a couple suspension weight exercises (very hard to explain but im hurting for 2 days after so they must be ripping some muscle!).
Anyone got any idea why im not bulking up at all/not aesthetic? Maybe i need to eat more calories or lose weight more? Honestly im pretty skinny, not so that you can see my ribs but i got maybe a 28" waist and 38" chest.
How can i get some defined abs and broaden up? Ive been told that i need to wait until i bulk out naturally when im 19 and older but i know friends who have become huge before then so i dont get it? Im training hard but getting hardly any visible result which is kinda getting me down.

So if anyone has any ideas what i should be doing then please fire away!
Cheers, all the best.

Wardy
Wait till you get older and all your bulky friends turn into big fatties XD Muscle tone lasts a lot longer and you're still young so dont worry about trying to bulk up like Arnold. Wait till you have a full time job, working out will be loooow on your priority list. When you get close to your 30s it will be more about just not being a fat ass than being in insane shape. Muscle tone will help a lot more in the long run for this. Just something to think about. Getting older and out of shape just creeps up on you way faster than you think!

Hey man! Saw your post in the shoutbox.

It sounds like you're a bit overtaxing yourself. If the goal is to get bigger, some bulk not fat, I would really suggest you cut back on the 3 cardio days! I was stuck this way for a long time, and I was just doing too much all the time!

Aside from that, really look at what you're eating. Are you getting enough protein? You should be getting at least 1.5 times your lean bodymass in protein. I drank a gallon of milk to get from 70 kg to 79 kg in about 2.5 months. Not everyone can do it, but that really stress the importance of calories for weight gain.

My last tidbit for food for thought would be to address how you're working out? Are you doing a lot of little, specialty exercises? Compound lifts, and heavy weights will fill you out proper.

I hope this helps, if you want to be more specific, or have any questions, I'm down to try to help as much as I can. Took me yeeears to figure out how to finally hit 95kg, where I am now. I'm 23 and 6 ft. Cheers man!

“There is no substitute for hard work.”
Thomas Edison

DeviantArt
CD SketchBook
(01-14-2014, 09:26 AM)nphill19 Wrote: Hey man! Saw your post in the shoutbox.

It sounds like you're a bit overtaxing yourself. If the goal is to get bigger, some bulk not fat, I would really suggest you cut back on the 3 cardio days! I was stuck this way for a long time, and I was just doing too much all the time!

Aside from that, really look at what you're eating. Are you getting enough protein? You should be getting at least 1.5 times your lean bodymass in protein. I drank a gallon of milk to get from 70 kg to 79 kg in about 2.5 months. Not everyone can do it, but that really stress the importance of calories for weight gain.

My last tidbit for food for thought would be to address how you're working out? Are you doing a lot of little, specialty exercises? Compound lifts, and heavy weights will fill you out proper.

I hope this helps, if you want to be more specific, or have any questions, I'm down to try to help as much as I can. Took me yeeears to figure out how to finally hit 95kg, where I am now. I'm 23 and 6 ft. Cheers man!

Yah unfortunately the cardio days arent really in my control, im still at school (doing basketball) and though it sounds like a kinda doss sport its the most intense cardio ive ever done. Non stop sprinting for about an hour and a half with a 5 min break, absolutely mental (plus ive pretty much broken two fingers already...).
As for food i really have a terrible diet because im lazy, i kinda eat nothing but wholemeal toast and a bit of protein every so often, a protein shake with milk if i havent had enough during the day. I know i need to eat more and eat right, i think thats what is holding me back.

Great idea with compound lifts! Never even thought about converting- my brother does huge weights with compound lifts and hes pretty huge but very undefined which i want to avoid. Im going to do a mix of large weight explosive compound lifts and some precise lifts to build definition, like yesterday i did clean & press and then military press to work shoulders and some core. Will keep doing those and other exercises i can find, im still amazed i can now bench about 55-60 8 reps compared to 40 from before but look so undefined!!

Will see what i can do about diet and exercises, many thanks for the comment!

(01-14-2014, 09:20 AM)Hypnagogic_Haze Wrote: Wait till you get older and all your bulky friends turn into big fatties XD Muscle tone lasts a lot longer and you're still young so dont worry about trying to bulk up like Arnold. Wait till you have a full time job, working out will be loooow on your priority list. When you get close to your 30s it will be more about just not being a fat ass than being in insane shape. Muscle tone will help a lot more in the long run for this. Just something to think about. Getting older and out of shape just creeps up on you way faster than you think!

Yeh i just gotta get defined asap and trying to bulk out a bit, will let you guys know how some of the exercises suggested below go :)
cheers for the comment bud
Is there any hope for a semi-vegetarian who's lactose intolerant? I say semi because I still eat clams and shrimps, but they're expensive and occasional iron treats. 'cos I don't get enough irony from having the name 'meat', hahaha!

Focus.
(01-17-2014, 12:15 PM)meat Wrote: Is there any hope for a semi-vegetarian who's lactose intolerant? I say semi because I still eat clams and shrimps, but they're expensive and occasional iron treats. 'cos I don't get enough irony from having the name 'meat', hahaha!

I mean, there are vegetarian friendly protein shakes/supplements. A diverse, nutrient rich diet will always yield results. Can you eat eggs? Why are you a vegetarian, just curious?

Thomas Edison

DeviantArt
CD SketchBook
(01-17-2014, 12:28 PM)nphill19 Wrote:
(01-17-2014, 12:15 PM)meat Wrote: Is there any hope for a semi-vegetarian who's lactose intolerant? I say semi because I still eat clams and shrimps, but they're expensive and occasional iron treats. 'cos I don't get enough irony from having the name 'meat', hahaha!

I mean, there are vegetarian friendly protein shakes/supplements. A diverse, nutrient rich diet will always yield results. Can you eat eggs? Why are you a vegetarian, just curious?

I used to try the protein powders mixed up with milk and banana, but my digestive system never grew used to the milk's thundering affects on it. I eat eggs, yeah, and some shell-fishes. But so far I've yet been able to cut meat completely out of my diet since I did grew up eating them. As for (partial) vegetarianism, I used to eat meat a lot, but now I just prefer vegetables more. Plus I feel kind of bad for those animals. I mean they used to have lives before they became cattle. I feel like a cattle sometimes. And they've got feelings and curiosity and personality too. ... I should just zip it. I hope not many people read this board.

Focus.
(01-18-2014, 08:05 AM)meat Wrote:
(01-17-2014, 12:28 PM)nphill19 Wrote:

I used to try the protein powders mixed up with milk and banana, but my digestive system never grew used to the milk's thundering affects on it. I eat eggs, yeah, and some shell-fishes. But so far I've yet been able to cut meat completely out of my diet since I did grew up eating them. As for (partial) vegetarianism, I used to eat meat a lot, but now I just prefer vegetables more. Plus I feel kind of bad for those animals. I mean they used to have lives before they became cattle. I feel like a cattle sometimes. And they've got feelings and curiosity and personality too. ... I should just zip it. I hope not many people read this board.
I wouldn't worry about it. You're entitled to your feelings/opinions. Eggs, shellfish, and nurtient dense vegetables like sweet potatoes are your best bet for really getting in heavy hitting nutrition. That and fat , like fish oils, nut butters etc. There is always hope for those who wish to find a way

Thomas Edison

DeviantArt
CD SketchBook
It's been a while since I posted on any of the CD forums, and the first time I've been in the Gyms'n daggers section, didn't even really know it existed till now.

To the OP, I think, as has been mentioned already, your problem likely lies in what your eating, or not eating as the case seems to be. I'm fairly new to this myself, and am in absolutely atrocious shape at the minute thanks to several years of fairly serious depression and anxiety, but I have done a lot of research into nutrition, weight training etc, so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

If you think about it, you want to lose weight, you eat less (basically causing a calorie deficit so your body is forced to break down whats already there for energy, hopefully in the form of body fat). So it stands to reason that if you want to gain weight/bulk up, you need to eat more calories than your body needs, forcing it to grow. Basically, if you aren't eating enough calories your body isn't going to grow. Staying lean/defined is, I believe, a bit more of a challenge. I haven't been in a position to experience this personally, but from what I understand, whenever you gain size in the form of muscle, your always likely to gain at least some body fat as well. This is why a lot of people go through different bulking and cutting phases. They eat more during the bulking phase so they can gain size, then during the cutting phase they eat less to get rid of the excess body fat that they gained during the cutting phase. I hope that made at least some kind of sense.

One thing I would definitely suggest is to check out some of the articles on T-Nation, it's a site meant for bodybuilders, but there is a huge amount of great information about nutrition on there which is applicable to anybody.

One of the first articles I read on there, which really helped me a lot was this one......
Nutrition for Newbies

As I said before, I am by no means an expert, just someone who's done a lot of reading/research.

Counting your calories might help, also nphill19 is right about the compound movements. Things like deadlifts, bench press, power clean, over head press, and squats work great.