Charity work for free
I'm a bit confused about doing free works for charity. I'm all for good karma and stuff, but how much free art should you do for religious groups that either you or your friend are affiliated with? The work doesn't improve my portfolio so it doesn't really contribute to helping me find the next job, it just postpones portfolio work until either after the free projects are done, or until later in the night. I don't want to sound like a cheap, penny-counting, selfish douche, or want to be one. I'm just confused. Or maybe I haven't figure out the right pattern of time management for simultaneous self-improvement and working on projects, which I would appreciate any tips on as well...

Focus.
charity is certainly better than plain free work (and its also a good thing to do, if you have the time to do it), but seems like you need to think about your priorities.

Its not about being selfish, or a douche or greedy. Our time is limited, you have to think whats more important to you and make that your top priority, as simple as that.

Also, i wish i could help you with the time management part, but i'm still pretty bad at that xD

It's not about being a douchebag, it's about whether you actually want (as in wish) to do it. And of course, how much of that can you afford to do, something Eduardo pointed out as well.

I mean, I find your question a bit strange:) You shouldn't be forced to do anything, whether that forcing came from your friend or family or upbringing... If you really want to do it, if you feel the need (but not negative need, as in "if I don't do it, I'm a douchebag, but a positive one, as in "I really wish to do it"), then do as much as you can (with minding the priorities as well).
If we stretch it, we could even say that the more you work on yourself in various aspects, you would also automatically affect the community in a positive way. If you were, say, a field doctor in a war zone and you get yourself out there all the time and rush in etc. as you don't want to feel like a douche, you'll get killed after like three days or die of exertion or illness, after saving something like five people. But if you prioritize things properly and value your life and time and our craft and calling, you might end up saving literally thousands of people in the end. A somewhat silly example, but you know what I'm trying to say. We could go even more extreme than that:) Imagine that giving/doing work for charity is your top priority. If you have billions, you could donate hundreds of millions to charity, but if you have a potato, if you give that potato away, you'll die of hunger - and if you didn't, you might have earned billions in the future and give millions to charity:) Examples are really plastic, but I think they work:)

But yeah, Eduardo summed it up well. Even if you really wish to do it, you should think whether you can actually afford to do it and how it will affect your life, aside from what stems from doing a good deed.

Keep calm and get in the robot

My sketchbook
To be honest, I don't want to do it, especially when they're asking something like 30-inch multiple portraits in 10 days, on top of another portrait. I tried to explain it's not that easy or fast, but I get the feeling they don't get it at all. Or just aren't listening. I've met this person like 3 or 4 times, and am already been asked to do a list of stuff. They're quite blunt with asking you to do things for them, and I'm kind of a sucker when it comes to refusing. I'm affiliated to a different temple of a different branch of this religion, they've helped me a lot over the years, and I'm not even doing that much pro bono work for my own temple! Or at least my temple folks don't pursue me repeatedly after I turn down that request of a massive painting of 35-halo-figure portraits.

My priority is I want to do more 3d tutorial vids and get my portfolio level up for jobs.

But I'm squirmy about refusing a religious figure, even if it's someone I've only met a few times. I don't know if I should just refuse flat, or tell this fellow if they want that 5-halo-figure portrait, probably for next to nothing or free, they will have to let me take as long as I will and not give me deadlines.

Focus.
Well mate, i'm not religious myself, so i cant really understand how you feel, but i still can give you some advice from my perspective.

If i were you, i would explain to them why their request is unreasonable, in a polite and very simple way so there is no room for any misunderstanding. If they are kind, reasonable people they will understand your situation.

Also i admire your temper, when someone comes asking for stuff in a blunt or demanding way i can be really unpolite, to say it nicely.

If what you want to do is 3d and portfolio work, then do that, thats what you should be doing at all times. I'm of the opinion that we should try to help each other whenever we can, but there is a difference between help and free labor, being them religious or not doesnt change that fact.

Thanks Eduardo and Doolio... this might sound whimpy, but I'm glad I'm not alone, or I might just cave under their asking, and agree to do those religious paintings. Well I already agreed to do the small one on Sunday... but I will refuse the large one next time one of them brings it up, and make sure the small one _stays_ small...

Eduardo, I don't think I have a patient temper or anything of that sort, more like a lack of backbone I'll say!

Focus.
thats cool man, as i said we need to help each other, thats what communities are for, even internet ones!

also i remember that metaphor, why your username is meat, keep working on your goals mate and you will definitely have that backbone.

Meat, that is quite a lot of work. And it doesn't help if they are blunt about it. It's just rude.

I mean, let's not get into aspect of religion, not because I'm not religious (I am not religious, at least not in an organized way, you could say that I follow some kind of "doolio-ism":), but I digress) or whatever, I can very well both discuss, understand and talk with that in mind. But because I really think it doesn't change anything in this particular case.

You say you lack backbone. It's a simple habit, nothing more. And you develop it. And I want to talk about it a bit more, because I think it's quite important, in this case and generally for an artist.
I was like that, I couldn't say no. Not just when it came to art stuff, but you know, all kinds of stuff. "Hey man, lets go out", -ok, although I didn't really want to go. Stuff like that. But, you have to realize that you simply can't go on like that. Because gradually you will literally stop doing anything for yourself and you might even feel shame when doing something for yourself, because you are not used to it and subconsciously you think that you are stealing the time you should spend doing stuff for others. It is far from douchy or selfish to stand up for yourself and to plan for yourself and to pursue your own goals.

And when it comes to art, that syndrome of not valuing your work is pretty much a worldwide artist phenomenon:) Both among beginning artists and among non-artists. I mean, "hey man, draw me a portrait of my girlfriend, it's her birthday" and all that stuff. That is nonsensical. You don't create art from thin air, no matter how much one could think you do. In that aspect, art is simply a craft, a service, a product etc. and you are the craftsman. And you spend time, money, materials, electricity, you breath fumes (when working traditionally), you apply your skill, you are offering exclusivity (because you can do something which that other dude can't).

And that kind of stigma is present in a lot of jobs that people don't perceive as concrete. For example, my dad's a lawyer (he's retired now). And once, we called a plumber and he came and he is fixing stuff and he got into talk with dad and he said he was a lawyer and in that instant, the plumber was like "oh, really? Well, I have this house but there are some issues, would you mind taking a look into it...". I mean, he wasn't even like "ok, what if I fix this pipes for no charge and you give me a legal advice about some house?". Just because people tend to perceive certain professions like that. And I bet that no one in the world ever met a plumber and was like "oh, you're a plumber? Well, since you know plumbing and stuff, how bout you fix my tap, that would be really nice of you". Because you don't say that to a plumber, ever:) But you do to a painter.
I mean, try to ask that person you paint for to provide his services in equal amount to you for no charge and see how it goes... I am not trying to bash the guy, maybe he's a wonderful person, but you know what I'm trying to say.

And you have to somehow incorporate the fact that your services are indeed services and that you LOSE your time and your money etc. if you do them for free. It's not like you're at zero if you do work for free, you go negative. Because in that time you could actually do work for money, or invest in your future by practicing to become better at art, or simply spend that time, I don't know, playing basketball because you like playing basketball. That's something I would strongly advise you incorporate into your perception, for the one simple reason - it's true:)

I mean, of course, nothing is black and white, I don't want you guys to think that I'm like "oh, my friend wants to move and I have a car, ok, I'll charge him $50. What, it's a bargain, companies charge like quadruple that!". I am just making a point.

And yes, I know the feeling when it's unpleasant to turn down a request and all that stuff, but you need to start practicing that, because you want to do this for a living.

And about being confused, if you break down the situation rationally, you'll see that there's no much confusion:) It's your emotional clinging to a habit of saying yes to requests, no matter how unreasonable or arrogant or silly or whatever they may be.

I understand it's a bit of touchy subject, you are loyal to your respective church and that is a representative etc. but I really think it does nothing to do with that, as it's not really a religious subject. I mean, if that religious figure dents someone's car, he'll pay the damage, because denting cars has nothing to do with him being a religious figure.
And of course, it's a good thing to do charity work or community work, but YOU should be the one who starts the whole interaction, if you feel like it. Nobody stops you from walking into a temple and saying "hey, I am a painter, I see you don't have many icons, I could help you decorate the altar for free" and they would go like "OMG THANKS", because you're being a great guy.

Again, I assume it could be a touchy subject for you, but I am being honest as I truly believe that this could help you in the long run.

Keep calm and get in the robot

My sketchbook
Wow Doolio, thanks for the lengthy post! Yeah, I get what you're saying. Actually I'm not that pious - I'm Buddhist and eat seafood and drink whiskey and watch certain videos. I respect religions, and find their teachings very good for self-improvement, but haven't gone far into believing in having my life after changed due to faith or donation etc. The thing is temples and churches run on donations or they can't last, so it's kind of the norm for people to donate hundreds of dollars via all sorts of forms (cash or items, etc). But I get what you're saying, donation should really be something I want to do and initiate myself, and not reluctantly.

Focus.