My sketchbook
Here's a look at my journey into digital art :) All critiques welcome! I'd love to reach a professional level in my art. So far, I'm nowhere close but I'm working on it everyday that I can. But I need a lot of help to get there, I can't do it on my own. I wish I could afford formal training but that's not in the cards at the moment. Help me reach my goals! They are lofty, and it may take a while to get there, but I am determined. I want all the characters and environments I've created in my dreams to come to life so I can share them with the world.

Here are a couple of drawings and sketches and homeworks from my mentorship to start off with:

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello there :D I really like your lttle fish it's so cute and colors are great too ^^

I don't have anything bad to say about these i just hope to see more of your stuff soon :D only thing that's kinda odd to me is that laying lady xD her behind is... um... weird i don't know if that's supposed to be like that or i'm missing something to see... :3

// Sketchbook // DeviantArt //

May the painting skills be with you! :3
(04-30-2014, 10:17 PM)stonedpanda03 Wrote: Hello there :D I really like your lttle fish it's so cute and colors are great too ^^

I don't have anything bad to say about these i just hope to see more of your stuff soon :D only thing that's kinda odd to me is that laying lady xD her behind is... um... weird i don't know if that's supposed to be like that or i'm missing something to see... :3

Thankyou! Yes, I'm quite proud of my fishy :D Her butt is a little weird, I admit. I've been drawing my whole life, but people are a new subject for me, I've never been great at it, so I'm slowly learning forms. Definitely something to work on.
Master color study of Vermeer's the Milkmaid

I started to get frustrated with the things on the table and I'm not so good at faces.

First time I've drawn faces - my mentor at the moment has us drawing heads and positions and now different facial features (eyes, nose, mouth, etc.) I just went for it because it's late and I wanted to get out of my comfort zone a little bit. Not the most horrible thing ever, but far from where I want to be.
Figure drawings. This is only my second attempt at figure drawing. People never interested me growing up and now that I'm older I'd love to be able to paint the characters that are milling around in my head. So far I'm learning a TON, but I'm nowhere where I want to be.practice.practice.practice.
Starting on faces in my mentor group, beginning with feature studies. I started with eyes. Gosh these were difficult for me. They took a very long time. I'm having trouble with the sizes being proportionate. Although a quarter profile or less is easier than a straight on portrait as far as equal eye size goes. Learning! Reference source: http://www.deviantart.com/art/me-and-me-...-274110359
Lip study, took ~30 minutes to finish. Textures are hard, I'm ok with my color and forms although there is always room for improvement. At this stage in the game though, I have no idea what to do about texture besides sitting there laboriously for hours, but then that wouldn't be a "study". Overrall, I'm beginning to be more pleased with my work than before, but I'm not sure if that;s a good or bad thing at this point.
That study isn't bad, I think you just needed to focus on the scattered highlights a lot more.

(05-25-2014, 08:41 AM)StardustLarva Wrote: That study isn't bad, I think you just needed to focus on the scattered highlights a lot more.

I know what you mean. As I was looking at it, it highlights seemed to multiply and become more chaotic and honestly didn't really have a good idea of how to approach doing those types of highlights. Any tips?