Celarx: Crashing and Burning - Failing and Learning
(09-10-2014, 09:32 PM)Kaffer Wrote: Pretty strong anatomy knowledge! You might want to give some more time to her face on the last one - most the image is close to finished, but I'd spend another couple of hours on her face, especially her eyes.
Oh holy shit ! sorry for not replying, i totally am not used to getting replies. Sorry and i hope you still can read this. Thanks a lot for your critique :) and yes faces are still my achilies heel, but so is time currently.
Tried myself working on a photobash for the first time :/

That last one is great! I feel like there is something slightly off on the left foreground womans torso though, maybe you should be able to see her rib cage a little? Anyway great work

Thanks a lot CoreyH !

finished my very first commission that came from america, I'm still evaluating everything i learned, so far what most sticks out is timemanagment, faces and finding timesinks in references.
In hindsight, I think until now i always asked myself: "Can i do this?" which, now after the image is finished, turns out to be the wrong question and should be more like "How much time will it take?"
In the future I'll be more cautious about things like embroidments and ornaments in the reference. I need to practice Heads more especially noses, seriously i hate noses alot D:
I'm happy about everything you guys can point out, because currently I'm afraid i was exposed to the image for to long, blinding me for obvious mistakes.

Work in progress

Practices Paintings, all from reference:

Love everything here, especially your latest stuff. It shows you're improving a lot, keep up the good work!
Thanks a lot for your kind workds of encouragment BenFlores :)
it's very appreciated currently since there is so little time in my daily life these days :(

Food related speedpaintings.

i love that selvaria bless commission, i quite like how you render, specially the faces.
About that Selvaria piece, the nose is perfect! in any case its the eyes that are maybe too big in relation with the size of the skull. But like you said, its just practice, just keep them coming.

And i would also suggest that, when doing studies from photos, dont try to mimic everything in the reference, try your own color palettes and values, edges, values, etc. What works well for a photo might not work as a painting, also edges! but its better do master studies for that.
So pic your fav artists whoever they are and combine that along with the photo studies.

Hope you can make more time for art and looking forward to your next update! :)

(02-08-2015, 08:54 AM)EduardoGaray Wrote: i love that selvaria bless commission, i quite like how you render, specially the faces.
About that Selvaria piece, the nose is perfect! in any case its the eyes that are maybe too big in relation with the size of the skull. But like you said, its just practice, just keep them coming.

And i would also suggest that, when doing studies from photos, dont try to mimic everything in the reference, try your own color palettes and values, edges, values, etc. What works well for a photo might not work as a painting, also edges! but its better do master studies for that.
So pic your fav artists whoever they are and combine that along with the photo studies.

Hope you can make more time for art and looking forward to your next update! :)

Thanks a lot for your kind words and your advice !
I took an image of my favorite artist and the favorite character out of that story and tried to recreate it in my own style.
I like how the light turned out compared to the original and am quite happy with it, but my lack of anatomy / patience to fix it in a speedpainting shows here.

Trying to improve my edge control...
therefore only hard round brush , no pen pressure 100% occopacity, only airbrush used for blending.
Roughly 45.60 mins spent on each image, both from reference, john wick movie.

Started doing figure drawings again:

Also trying to get my act back together with studies: