Best method of studying environments for imagination?
Apart from plein air and master studies, are photos the best way to study environments and become better at them. You know, what if I grind on environments for weeks non stop? Because that's my brilliant plan and approach to everything ever. I dunno.

Of course it would take at least a year before I see genuine results that could be comparable. I saw a conceptart.org post from Noah Bradley from 2010 and he posted his progression of one year and basically said that studying photographs and masters was his process. And it was really solid improvement. But knowing him he probably did loads of plein airs though...

I just don't want to be wasting time on something that isn't going to get me anywhere. So if anyone out there has tried this could you perhaps help me determine if this is a good approach?
Well, in my (somewhat recently acquired) opinion, everything goes, as long as you apply what you've studied on a regular basis (whatever that means lol).

If you hop to my sb, you can see that, due to the fact I can't draw much, I've decided to do an "experiment" - I've basically done figure croquis from references for a while (as they don't require pressure/movement that much and I can't draw for more than, say 5-10 minutes). I've been doing them with understanding, I wish to underline that fact - I've been carefully looking at curves, points, relations, remembering stuff, visualizing after practice etc.
The result - recently, I sat down to do some figures from imagination and found out that I've regressed noticeably.
Conclusion - if you study than apply stuff daily (or maybe not daily, but, say, every three days), you will progress in leaps with each day (a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm talking from personal experience - I had a period when I've drawn a lot of hours per day, so I could actually study for like five hours and then apply for that same amount, and I've literally jumped in quality, understanding and "aha moments" on a daily basis). After like a month of doing quick specific quick studies without application, I have actually regressed (and I'll show it when I update my sb next time). To be honest, though, that month equates to about five days of grinding in terms of hours put. But still.

Of course, that is just my experience, I can't generalize. Personally, I like the "concept art" approach more when it comes to environments, as it leads to being able to produce solid stuff form thin air. Of course, it goes without saying that one should do all of the practices to some degree. But getting focused on grinding studies for a month, imho, won't result with a favorable outcome, because it's too passive, even though you focus and remember and observe while studying.

Keep calm and get in the robot

My sketchbook
Yeah I think you're spot on with that. I've been studying environments, colour, light and then spending even longer on trying to apply everything and it appears to be working out very well. It seems as though studying can also be a quick way of saying 'wasting time'. It's like a loop where I find myself thinking I'm learning when all I'm doing is mindlessly drawing/painting even though I'm making a concious effort to try and take in information.

Trying to apply and work things out really tests me and hurts my head a bit. I might not be studying but I'm designing and I think that can only be refined with time. Also, I will try to study environments more intently for specific aspects such as figuring out what a rock texture is like.

I hope your hand gets better though, sounds like you have quite the situation there 0.o I guess all you can do is wait D:
I think whenever your head hurts, you are (sadly) on the right path:D

As you said, all that conscious effort and stuff simply evaporate somehow, if not supported with practical application in due time:)

Keep calm and get in the robot

My sketchbook
Hi Danny,
I would say that the best way to study any subject is to ... "enjoy it." "Grinding" on anything is a chore and generally we all despise chores; so why would you expect something positive to arise from a task that is deplorable. Why not do a plein air because you enjoy it? If you are really interested in creating environments for a living, then studying nature is a foregone conclusion. How can you understand an invented environment if you can't understand the environment that surrounds you every day. Here are a few examples of artists, that not only enjoy their work as environment artists, but also make an effort to improve their craft by observing the world around them every day. Not because of some internet regimen but because they enjoy creating landscapes that inspire wonder.
Kazuo Oga
Nathan Fowkes
Paul Lassaine

What sets them apart from everyone else is that they enjoy observing the world around them as much as creating new worlds from thin air. Practicing is great whether from photos or real life. The most important component is your mental state when doing these studies. Success won't come from "grinding" but from "FINDING", the real passion in your work. What makes your vision unique and interesting, and how can you show this viewpoint to your audience. Hope this helps.

-Sketchbook-
"... for drawing is a thinking person's art." - Walt Stanchfield.