Greetings, Salutations, Pleasantries, etc.
Or, a simple hi.

I'm Lily.

I study creative writing in university with an interest towards working within the graphic novel format.
I find it particularly interesting what can be done with the tandem of image and text, rather than one or the other. So my second major went to animation, since my university has no illustration this will have to do.

Then I realized I'm absolutely terrible at art.
So I've been working as best as my fragmented butt can to get the fundamentals down on illustration, and I've been improving.
My circle of critique is quite small, I'm hoping a community geared towards focused improvement will help me keep in gear.

I'll be around, maybe drop what little I know where I can. I have studied as a fitness trainer, so my knowledge of anatomy isn't too bad, but everything else I'm probably not in any place to speak up just yet.
Hola, welcome to the forums

Totally the right attitude to have about the fundamentals (I saw what you did there). A lot of beginning artists, myself included, want to get straight to the juicy stuff without going through the swamps of learning. But hopefully you will overcome the wall of understanding and have fun doing it too, becoming an art lord in the process! Just find a way that keeps you interested in doing it everyday and you'll be fine. I personally find this method very productive, if you ever feel demotivated or like you're not going anywhere

http://jamesclear.com/stop-procrastinati...d-strategy

I've heard from many people that animation gives a really great foundation for illustration in the future. If your school's solid you'll get all the important bits down in no time

And lastly if you're interested in some top notch illustration mixed with some SUPERB writing, I cannot recommend Bernie Wrightson's Frankenstein enough. One of the best pieces of literature ever written with some of the tightest ink drawings I've ever seen in my life. Can't go wrong with it, at least not with the pictures if you're not into old english writing lol

Ps: get a sketchbook started asap so we can so yo work !

(09-16-2014, 10:59 AM)Beardley Wrote: And lastly if you're interested in some top notch illustration mixed with some SUPERB writing, I cannot recommend Bernie Wrightson's Frankenstein enough. One of the best pieces of literature ever written with some of the tightest ink drawings I've ever seen in my life. Can't go wrong with it, at least not with the pictures if you're not into old english writing lol

Ps: get a sketchbook started asap so we can so yo work !

Funnily enough my interest in lit studies outside of my own creation is classical literature. I'll look into it!
PS: Done.