Lily Failing Upward
A collection of miserable failures that hopefully become less miserable and possibly even cheerful as time goes by.

All images are dated with comment.

[Image: ca20755a37.png]
11-09-14. Inherited my partner's tablet. This was mostly an experiment in getting used to it, using a reference image from my art class that day. Additional scribbles provided by this tablet's... temperamental pressure sensitivity.

[Image: d98e83f32e.png]
12-09-14. Rust Cohl from True Detective. Not entirely pleased, but saw some problems and fixed them on the way.

[Image: a7820d6d7e.png]
12-09-14. I don't know. It was in my studies folder but I don't remember having reference.

[Image: 6fc6f8dc81.png]
14-09-14. Mempo mask. Symbol Drawing out the wazoo. Sort of okay with it, but I need to be more analytic in my work.
Greetings. Not a bad start you have here, just keep focusing on stuff like values and anatomy and you'll do fine. With that last one from observation, just a tip: you should look more at the subject or photograph you're studying whilst you're drawing than the surface you are drawing on. It can be hard starting out like this, but as you practice it you will get more accurate results from observation. I can see in that last one that you've probably looked more at what you're drawing than the subject and have drawn what you think you're seeing, rather than what's actually there.

Hope that helped!

Had to reply, your title was eerily similar to what I used back in ca . org days - falling upwards :)

Slow down some when you work! No need to rush anything, spend a couple of hours doing something. It seems you get started, find something you like and then stop abrubtly

Anyhow, keep working!

(09-17-2014, 01:14 AM)StardustLarva Wrote: It can be hard starting out like this, but as you practice it you will get more accurate results from observation. I can see in that last one that you've probably looked more at what you're drawing than the subject and have drawn what you think you're seeing, rather than what's actually there.

Hope that helped!

I like to think I'm starting to get more accurate (at least slightly) already. It's something I have identified and I am working on, with some help. Thanks for the crit.

(09-17-2014, 02:33 AM)Olof Wrote: Had to reply, your title was eerily similar to what I used back in ca . org days - falling upwards :)

Slow down some when you work! No need to rush anything, spend a couple of hours doing something. It seems you get started, find something you like and then stop abrubtly

Anyhow, keep working!

It's when I hit The Wall. I'm, as said above, slowly getting better with it - natural problem exacerbated by disorders in the process of treating. Thanks for pointing it out though, it's good to know it's obvious to everyone else as well!

More misery! Expect constant updates as I try to get something up every two days.

Hidden because noodz.
16-09-14. Short scribble. Wasn't happy. Had lots to do elsewhere with rental properties and the like. Looking at it today, I think it might be salvageable if I can start working on it without too much anger. Might take a look at it when it's not midnight.

Hidden because noodz.
17-09-14. Not unhappy. Bad day, but still had to keep the chain moving. Pretty happy with this, despite the unconfident linework.

When it's not midnight I should double-check the rules. Hidden for now.