CRIMSON CHOW #6 - The Giant WIP
Hello Daggers!

Welcome to the Crimson CHOW (Character of the Week)! This is a biweekly challenge which was created as a way to hone your skills in design and character creation, in a fun and competitive way. Each challenge, we will give you a short character prompt and it is your task to interpret the character as you imagine it, with your own unique spin. The winner will be chosen through a poll in the finals thread, and in addition to being able to pick the next challenge topic, his/her piece will be featured in the "Crimson Champions" Winner's thread!

The ground trembled and shifted as the Giant raced to the heart of the forest, his enormous limbs propelling him forward. A towering, pitch-black column of smoke marked his destination, the smell of burnt leaves pervading the air and slowly morphing his scowl into an expression of pure fury. "This can only mean one thing...humans."

Your task: Design the Giant of the Forest Realm, Protector of the Sacred Woods.

Guidelines:
  • Environment backgrounds are optional.
  • Keep in mind you are not required to stick to what is in the passage. It is more of a guide in terms of mood.
  • Photo textures, 3D, and traditional mediums are allowed.
  • There is no restriction on the character's gender, time period or culture.
  • Studies are recommended, but not required.
  • There is no restriction on image formats (horizontal, vertical, square).
Rules:
  • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible (minimum from the knees up). No back views are allowed without a front.
  • Only ONE character please.
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • Sketches, WIPs, or rushed artwork will not be accepted into the poll.
  • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!
  • Have fun!

Deadline is Sunday, November 16 @10pm GMT

some loose exploration sketches

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketchbook ▲  Website ▲ TwitterArtStation ▲ Twitch ▲

I think I'll try to participate this time! Instantly had some images in mind when I read the little text. Made some quick sketches while having my tea after lunch, definitely need to do some studies when I want to achieve the look I have in mind.

[Image: chow06_01_by_cyprinusfox-d854qjo.jpg]

SKY IS THE LIMIT

DeviantartSketchbook
cave giant !

Thats a tough one. First attempts:
[Image: 1_by_afternoon63-d8587t6.jpg]

Protectors of forest ? I like animals soooo ...i think im gonna make mine animal themed :P

[Image: cSQCQLil.jpg]

( http://imgur.com/cSQCQLi in case you cant see it well )

My Sketchbook (do help me out)
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4216.html

And if your rather curious on some older stuff here's my deviantart

http://greatdictator.deviantart.com/
Whoa , awesome stuff from everyone already :U

I took a slightly different approach... (sorry for the next lines lol)

In a world ... where the military dumps their waste in the farthest jungles ...one ma .. uhm .. plant .... after suffering genetic mutations ... seeks to destroy all humans .. using their own waste.

Attached Files Image(s)

same setting but changed the composition. still working on the design of the giant.

mmmkay i just wanna issue a challenge for everyone to try to AVOID SHIRTLESS LOIN CLOTH DUDE WITH A CLUB AND CYCLOPS FACE. that being said, adrian, i really dig the idea!

Ben i REALLY like that comp it has insane potential just please do some research and experiment with the design try to pull out something cool. He doesn't have to have a club he could have some cool armor and stuff.

Cmon guys think like the bloodsports back when they did tons of studies before the final piece and that shit was badASS!!! studies for rendering obviously but research on design. Look to old games you loved as a kid, movies you love, music gives me lots of visual ideas which could be all yours, same with stories.

Mike i like the top left guy. the guy on the right looks like a humanoid torterra, the pokemon. yea top left dude is cool with moose horns satan beard, like it!

Cyprinus i really dig the head piece, and the necklace is cool too, but he's just a naked guy with a head piece and a necklace, more BELLS AND WHISTLES! remember since his eyes are covered you really have to push the shape language and power in his character. without the eyes and trace of humanity, you gotta play a different game, a fairly difficult design game.

Cmon Jones more exploring bud! the right guy is cute tho, he doesn't look like a giant haha

We've seen this before
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071...Mauler.jpg

LET'S GET CREATIVE!!!!

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
uh :S , sorry Fedodika , im not really happy with this one too and i think ill keep making a couple more until i choose one ,cause it still feels kinde of generic , specially after what u just said , but here goes my first one

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks for the heads up Fedodika, Although there is still no point in designing just yet, everything is just a placeholder for what could be. The composition is still not strong enough, I found that looking down on a giant takes the power away completely, but I'm somewhat happy with the setting established. I'm in the process of changing the perspective entirely so we are looking up at the giant so it can do its job and make us feel small. I'm treating this more like an illustration than anything and the overall design trumps the designs within.
Anyway, I'm having alot of fun with this one and I'm looking forward to seeing everybody post their wips because I know there are people holding on to theirs ;)
Sketch

[Image: giantlady10_zps46c3d3a9.jpg~original]

Thanks Fedodika. I don't really know many pokemons so I had no idea :P I don't like those three I did but that was just an exploration. I think I got one that I like and I'll go with. I'll try to come up with some other ideas but I really like this.

[Image: 2_by_afternoon63-d85c760.jpg]

As for the others, I think at this stage It's too early to say anything really. It may change like 100 times ;)

I Think I am going to go with a giant that kinda comes up from the ground, when humans come in and disturb the land, so gonna make him all dirt, and have some of his limbs be like roots of trees, and also add a person for scale/story.
So tried giving the cheetah giant a more interesting looking design for his scrap armor .The idea is he essentially attacks anyone doing deforastation , mining or building near his woods.So over time he collected lotsa stuff to make a armor with , its mostly stuff just thrown toghether and got some people to weld it for him.Also the tank treads from various big machines as well as from tanks make for good material :P

[Image: ljXQsAPl.jpg] [Image: oanTY5zl.jpg]

[Image: UuuNNmUl.jpg]

My Sketchbook (do help me out)
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4216.html

And if your rather curious on some older stuff here's my deviantart

http://greatdictator.deviantart.com/
I thought my entry would be a sentient Cordyceps-like fungus that lives on a mound of moulted exoskeletons of the giant arthropods that inhabit the forest.

Here's my preliminary sketch:

[Image: 6vQhjJJ.jpg]

okay here's a sketch for mine, might go for a different pose later on. (insert excuse for poor anatomy here.) Was thinking of like Egyptian stuff and i tried to make a character who looks like a boss character, since boss characters are usually giants. i hope he looks big and like someone you couldn't kill with one hit hehe.

Attached Files Image(s)

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
I hope it's not too late to start.

♥ ♦ ♣ ♠
Also you can visit:
C.D. Sketchbook
My personal blog
My DA
haha, I second Fedodika's challenge!! Don't get lazy people. The first ideas you come up with are probably really really generic, so get them out....all of them, and then see what comes up afterwards.

Also, there could be female giants (nice one JJ), they could be technologically MORE advanced rather than less advanced as they generally seem to be depicted.

And lastly to paraphrase Iain McCaig's visual storytelling dvds (which I just watched and are bloody awesome) often when he integrates something slightly ridiculous or cheesy or off the wall even if it sounds dumb, it often creates something unique, so maybe try that.

Another brilliant technique I use is to create two lists. One with random nouns (things, occupations, genres of any kind) and the second with random adjectives (descriptives of any sort). Mix and match from the two lists and you can come up with some really wacky, really cheesy, really dumb and often really cool ideas. I highly recommend this :) I probably won't participate this round, but I might try get in some crits in this thread along the way, or maybe on the finals as before. :)

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
I think i'm going to commit to this one, prioritizing portfolio needs .
Edit: It truly is a challenge to get something completely new and crazy to read to someone at first glance, that's probably why I stay on the safe side. I have to commend those when they push past that though, good luck everybody!

Edit: update , didnt see that its supposed to be a protector of a forest omg