Beam me up!
Hi everyone!

My name is Karolina, I recently had the obvious realisation that I was always meant to be an artist (at 32). It's a confronting realisation, from both a regret at wasted time, and a 'what now?' perspective.

I've spent the last 10 or so years working in marketing, doing the odd bit of graphic design, and a few illustrations (I studied fashion design). It just feels like I've been orbiting the thing I actually really wanted to do, which was to make art!

I'm committed to doing it this time. I'm really interested in light and interactive art, although I'm starting with some painted studies exploring the concepts I'm interested in while I learn some of the technical things I need to make the kind of art I'm working towards.

I've also started a blog to explore ideas, keep me accountable, and help me connect with people. Not even close to properly set up, but there are a few blog posts and an about page so far, if you're curious! Www.karolinapartyka.com

Really keen to chat with people who chose the non-artschool route, and artists who combine interests in science/tech into their practice.

Keen to dive in!
X
Heya Karolina, I had exactly the same realisation at 32 myself. I am now 37 and just breaking into fulltime freelance. I am totally self taught. I started off on a Physics degree, then a film and 3D animation diploma, then a systems programming degree and a "career" in sort of IT. many similarities.
Consider posting your story in this thread after you read through people's journey :)

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/showthre...king+clock

Glad to see another senior citizen here :) Welcome aboard!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
(03-10-2015, 10:04 PM)Amit Dutta Wrote: Heya Karolina, I had exactly the same realisation at 32 myself. I am now 37 and just breaking into fulltime freelance. I am totally self taught. I started off on a Physics degree, then a film and 3D animation diploma, then a systems programming degree and a "career" in sort of IT. many similarities.
Consider posting your story in this thread after you read through people's journey :)

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/showthre...king+clock

Glad to see another senior citizen here :) Welcome aboard!

Ha, thanks Amit! (I'll keep believing I'm still totally a spring chicken...)

Synchronicity! Thanks, I'll definitely have a read through. Really appreciate the starting point :)
No worries Karolina! If you have any questions about CD or anything feel free to PM me if you like.

This forum has attracted mostly us of the "concept art / illustration" ilk where grinding our drawing and painting skills in order to reach the nirvana of "making it" as a pro seems to be the key goal. I sometimes wonder about the validity of this myself. You are an artist once you decide you are, not when some magic combination of external criteria happens.

In the past I was really interested in playing with light projection and using 3D mapping. Very cool stuff. Plus I enjoy writing and a bunch of other creative stuff so I don't like to lump myself into one box. It will be great to get some other varied interests up in here. :)

So do you want to combine your own illustrative work with installation type pieces or just installation work? If you are sketching or posting wips, definitely start a sketchbook thread here so people can keep an eye on your stuff.

Sweet!

(03-11-2015, 06:32 AM)Amit Dutta Wrote: No worries Karolina! If you have any questions about CD or anything feel free to PM me if you like.

This forum has attracted mostly us of the "concept art / illustration" ilk where grinding our drawing and painting skills in order to reach the nirvana of "making it" as a pro seems to be the key goal. I sometimes wonder about the validity of this myself. You are an artist once you decide you are, not when some magic combination of external criteria happens.

In the past I was really interested in playing with light projection and using 3D mapping. Very cool stuff. Plus I enjoy writing and a bunch of other creative stuff so I don't like to lump myself into one box. It will be great to get some other varied interests up in here. :)

So do you want to combine your own illustrative work with installation type pieces or just installation work? If you are sketching or posting wips, definitely start a sketchbook thread here so people can keep an eye on your stuff.

Sweet!

Yes, I totally agree with you about 'making it'.

Personally, I've found myself moving away from representative work into more conceptual stuff. For a while there I was on an illustration path, but I ended up not finding it very fulfilling. I'm getting much more inspiration and excitement from letting myself explore all manner of concepts, and working with the goal to create strong experiences for the viewer, to make them feel. I'm not saying this can't be done with representative art, but it just wasn't doing it for me.

At the moment I'm working on some abstract paintings exploring things like the physics of light, and the concept of the frontier, and using them as studies to inspire a future installation I have in mind. But who knows where I'll go from here!

What kind of stuff do you work on nowdays Amit?

Do you think this forum is the right place for me if it's primarily skills grinding? Or can you recommend some threads/members who explore other stuff too? (or other forums..?)

Happy to have made your acquaintance in any case!
I am fulltime freelance now, as of 2 weeks ago. So far, got some movie concept work, card art, game environment design, a book illustration, board game art. It's all pretty varied and just the way I like it!
To be honest I'm not sure I'm cut out for completely representational art. I will do it for a while because I do enjoy painting and freelance work where I don't have to commute or deal with the bullshit of office politics. The freedom is sublime.
I actually am writing a lot more now, and I believe this is where my real skill/talent lies, so keen to push that further. I'd also like to do something that helps humanity through my own insight and work, rather than just be a monkey keeping the machine going like what a lot of illustration and concept art is. Where I end up with that motivation is yet to be seen.

I'm also a geek, so tech stuff, installations, light shows etc really fascinate me and look like fun to play with. Would love to sculpt as well.
So much to do.

I'm not sure cd is going to be that useful for you in terms of conceptual and installation work, but I'd hate to turn you away from what is a great little community. It's cool to be around other creatives even if virtually. There must be some forums out there for your interest. I used usevisit videopong quite a bit when I was into light shows and videoediting, but not sure how active that is in terms of community. I would just find the people in your city that do the stuff you like and totally cold email them to ask for guidance now that you have removed your blocks there is literally nothing to stop you. Finding the right people can be the best thing you can do when you're not too sure where to start.

Just go at it, no fear. If you feel the fear, say that's nice, and do what your gut says regardless and I'm sure you will find your path, or the path will find you! :)

(03-11-2015, 08:38 PM)Amit Dutta Wrote: I am fulltime freelance now, as of 2 weeks ago. So far, got some movie concept work, card art, game environment design, a book illustration, board game art. It's all pretty varied and just the way I like it!
To be honest I'm not sure I'm cut out for completely representational art. I will do it for a while because I do enjoy painting and freelance work where I don't have to commute or deal with the bullshit of office politics. The freedom is sublime.
I actually am writing a lot more now, and I believe this is where my real skill/talent lies, so keen to push that further. I'd also like to do something that helps humanity through my own insight and work, rather than just be a monkey keeping the machine going like what a lot of illustration and concept art is. Where I end up with that motivation is yet to be seen.

I'm also a geek, so tech stuff, installations, light shows etc really fascinate me and look like fun to play with. Would love to sculpt as well.
So much to do.

I'm not sure cd is going to be that useful for you in terms of conceptual and installation work, but I'd hate to turn you away from what is a great little community. It's cool to be around other creatives even if virtually. There must be some forums out there for your interest. I used usevisit videopong quite a bit when I was into light shows and videoediting, but not sure how active that is in terms of community. I would just find the people in your city that do the stuff you like and totally cold email them to ask for guidance now that you have removed your blocks there is literally nothing to stop you. Finding the right people can be the best thing you can do when you're not too sure where to start.

Just go at it, no fear. If you feel the fear, say that's nice, and do what your gut says regardless and I'm sure you will find your path, or the path will find you! :)

That's so awesome, congratulations on taking that step!

Dude, you're art is fantastic, so if your writing is even better, you've got some serious talent. Maybe now that you're freelance, you can carve out some time to work of a bit of that seriously?

Yeah, this is a fantastic community. Even though it doesn't quite align with the kind of art I make, I've been very impressed with the quality of many people's work here, and the level of dedication and commitment everyone displays. So I think I'd like to hang around!

Thanks for the tip, have been doing research into artist in my area for the last few weeks, will get a list together and hit up.

Cheers for the welcome Amit :)