Critiques the shit out of my work, please
Hi all,
Thought I would post some of my work to see what you all think

https://aestheticmalevolence.files.wordp...priest.jpg

https://aestheticmalevolence.files.wordp...arlock.png

Not sure if it is better to post links or add attachments.

I was looking at Dave Rapoza's work and tutorials alot for this one

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey Nick,
Definitely better to do small (<1000px width) attachments. Please please please don't post 4k images! They take forever to download for poor bastards like me with bad connections, and if they are inline, then makes the page pretty much unviewable

I like your design work on the warlock, very cool. The pencil work I think is better than the final render. Some angles and edges were lost I found.

In terms of your rendering, it has decent volume and form, but I think you are not hitting the mark on differentiating materials. The specular falloff on the metal forms are too harsh and the highlights too blown out. A good way to work on this is to do lots of studies (preferably from life) of the materials you want to paint. That way things will look as they should rather than all kinda same-y

Also there tends to be a general lack of soft graduation in value shifts overall which might give a bit more realism to your work, if that was what you wanted.

I think using bigger brush strokes for areas of less detail is a good thing, but the blocky strokes you used to do the tail etc, are way too obvious and end up looking unfinished rather than loose.

Hope that helps

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Hi Amit,
Cheers for the feedback. I'll have to get stuck into doing some studies of different materials. I also have to work on having smoother tonal transitions over the forms.
Thanks once again for the detailed and well thought out feedback!
(03-25-2015, 11:24 AM)NickShepherd Wrote: Hi Amit,
Cheers for the feedback. I'll have to get stuck into doing some studies of different materials. I also have to work on having smoother tonal transitions over the forms.
Thanks once again for the detailed and well thought out feedback!

Here is my latest drawing. It is fan art of Akira. Tetsuo's Akira transformation.
Not sure if the perspective is corrects. Also, I want Tetsuo to be more threatening. When I paint it I would like to give Tetsuo more tentacles which are coming forward towards the viewer and are threatening Kaneda. Also, I need to work on Kaneda's bike to make it look more like the original. Anyway, enough with the self critique. What do you all think?

Attached Files Image(s)