Gamification in learning art - your experience?
Recently, I learned something about myself: digital achievements handed out by an app are much better at making me actually do stuff than human induced peer pressure. (I.e. that nike running app makes me exercise regularly. Whereas this whole "tell people about your goals" and "motivation buddy" stuff never worked for me.)

That probably says something about me (and probably something not very flattering). But I'm not here to dissect my mind. I'm here to learn how to draw.

Unfortunately there aren't as many "do art gamification" apps out there as there are "do sports gamification" apps. Crimson Daggers is a great community, but it is very much built around the concept of human peer pressure (publicly announcing your deathline, scheduling regular live streams, etc.). This is really great, don't get me wrong. But for me personally, well, it does make me feel motivated for a while - but it doesn't really make me stick to new habits for very long. Not nearly as much as a stupid "fastest 1km run yet" achievement does, anyway.

Can anyone relate to that?

Does anyone have experience with using general purpose "task gamification" services (like habitrpg for example)?
I'm not too familiar with this type of stuff because it doesn't work for me at all but have you seen this? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ash...escription

Gliger, oh that looks like fun, lol!

Chris, believe me when I say I know what you're talking about and know that feel... and I also know deep down that app/game reward/achievement - as addictive as they are for as long as they are - even more effective is yourself handing you reward/achievement. In the quiet requiem of your own, private world, where nobody else know and see what you're doing. I've been to both zones, and somehow it is _hard_ to get back to the self-rewarding zone because it's all in my imagination with not a shred of external proof. Even a Steam icon is something to look at once in a while. But maybe I got you wrong, maybe this ain't what you mean, and above all, who am I , a random online screen name, to tell you how to do things? But you know, a game has an end... your imagination goes on forever. Will you wait for the DLC, or will you make your own mount and fly off on it?

Focus.
Haha I like your poetic game moment there meat,
Ive been reading this book , the willpower instinct .
And it said something about motivation being like a muscle. Like muscle memory or the literal one.
And like a muscle, you exhaust it, but also like a muscle it strengthens it if you chose to.
Try setting up simple tasks like doing daily habits by brushing your teeth with your non dominant hand, take a super cold shower first thing in the morning. Try to have a nee habit, domrthing youvr never done before.
If you fail its alright, start over , youve flexed that eillpower muscle enough to be more resilient each time.

This is thr first post where I over exhausted the world "muscle"