Hidden Dagger
Welcome to the Hidden Dagger study group

This is an open group centered around illustration through imaginative realism.
Join up if you like generating ideas, doing studies for them, and then combining them into an image.
To join just post what you're working on..
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm working on two projects at the moment. One is about learning the illustration process and the other is learning how to oil paint and use color.
I'm at the idea generation phase with the illustration project.
So far I've done:
Written ideas
character designs
thumbnail comps
and poses

next up is studies during the weekdays

For learning to oil paint I'm doing a plein air painting. So far I did: the drawing and the underpainting

I'm working on the first layer this weekend
stay tuned!

I decided to learn oil painting last month so I'm still fumbling in the dark at the moment...

@antmora Let me know what your plans are and if you need help with anything.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey, I'm liking the composition of the spy. I think that the value of the figure furthest down the hall should be darker, perhaps rim lit because of the light coming from behind him. The work I will post in this page will mostly be illustration related. I have a few that I am working on at the moment. The first one is what I will build up this weekend and the second is a block in. The third is my previous one and the rest are sketches and oil sketches.

Attached Files Image(s)

Damn you guys are rad! Keep this traditional stuff coming!

I did another layer on plein air painting today. I got everything blocked in but now I have to figure out how to render the various textures in oil paint O.o
I snapped a photo with my phone while painting today.

@Caisne Traditional mediums FTW!
@antmora I love mermaids :D Did you get any references for the painting?

Attached Files Image(s)

@Caisne- You have some really awesome works too man.

@Escapist- Here is the block-in I worked on today to get a better look at my color plans. I am mostly planning to borrow the palette from solomon and some of the waves. Tomorrow I will block in the figure, glaze in shadows to the background and overall push and pull tones. What textures are you trying to create on the plein air?

Attached Files Image(s)

I added a second layer to the painting. I hope I improved the color relationships and made the value structure more interesting.

@antmora Cool. Solomon Joseph Solomon is the man. Wow I don't even know how to glaze XD I can't wait to see the next layer of your mermaid painting. Though I would define her pose more as I can't tell if she's jumping into the air or kneeling on the rock. If you want a second opinion on the composition and drawing aspects of the painting, I can give a digital paintover later.
Also about your question, I'm trying to figure out how to distinguish the large shapes in my painting with varied texture. Like the smooth gradient of the sky, the waves of the river, the rough bricks of the building, etc, but I'm too new to painting to get such subtle effects I guess.

Attached Files Image(s)

I did some studies for my spy character while building my visual library. I used pencil and white gouache.

Attached Files Image(s)

Finally got the fan of my laptop fixed. Now I can start posting again. Glazing is when you mix very little pigment with the thinning medium that you are using to create subtle color and tone transitions. The studies are coming along great. For the water I would add more subtle color and value shifts to hint at which areas are picking up light and from where they might be. The value of the plank furthest to the right in the water could perhaps be glazed to one value to show that it is a cast shadow as it is in the reference Overall, your values are coming out well so far as a whole, (especially at the focal point). Maybe hint at a few more things that stand out in the building's design. Hope that helps a bit. Now, here some of the things I've been working on so far. I think the paint over suggestion is a great idea. I'd love to hear what you have to suggest. Thanks.

(06-13-2015, 03:43 PM)Escapist Wrote: I did some studies for my spy character while building my visual library. I used pencil and white gouache.

These look great. Are you going to be working on the drawing for the character soon?

Attached Files Image(s)

Small sketch

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi
I didn't realize there were new posts on Hidden Dagger! D:
My gmail started putting all Crimson Daggers forum updates in my spam folder X(
I finished the plein air painting a while ago. I'll start another plein air painting one for Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

As for the spy character, I'm going to do some face studies tomorrow (friday). Then set up, shoot, and draw the body reference on Tuesday or Wednesday. Then I'll make the drawing of the character around the end of next week.
I'm trying out the multi-step process from this muddy colors article http://muddycolors.blogspot.com/2014/04/...art-1.html

I can still do a paintover of the mermaid, but if there's a newer version of it just let me know and I'll wait for an updated photo if needed.

The painting below is where I'm at in terms of learning how to use oil/color/landscapes/observational painting X(  Now that is finished any feedback would be appreciated as I'm a clueless amatuer >.>

Attached Files Image(s)

I did a study of a digital composite of the average Brazilian women's face.

Attached Files Image(s)

X( I gotta finished what I started... Here's the pose and face studies x_x .. in graphite and gouche

Attached Files Image(s)

I figured I'd make this an open group for those learning through the illustration pipeline. Such as doing design sketches, followed by studies, and then combined into portfolio piece (for example).

I mostly do quick studies and neglect my portfolio. This might be a neat way to bridge that theory and practice gap. Join me :p
Work in progress

Attached Files Image(s)

character done

Attached Files Image(s)

i'm confused >.>

Attached Files Image(s)