Tami's Sketchbook
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and hoping to stretch my artistic muscles a bit. I've been stalking the other sketchbooks here for a few weeks now and I love seeing everyone's progress. It's time I put some skin in the game myself.

I'm almost entirely self-taught (does high school drawing class 10 years ago count?). I have a strong interest in creature and character design but generating ideas from imagination is a big weak spot for me. 

Here's a scattering of my recent work:

[Image: tumblr_nrjf7oTiYb1snjh5ao1_540.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_nrhjbrr0Q21snjh5ao1_540.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_nrglwcpW681snjh5ao1_540.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_nr0xq0VpgK1snjh5ao1_540.jpg]
(watercolor/digital mixed media)

[Image: tumblr_nqkwacT8U41snjh5ao1_540.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_npbqo8CAUb1snjh5ao1_540.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_np8vb3QRZz1snjh5ao1_540.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_nkba95j8cc1snjh5ao1_540.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_nmv47hmo5P1snjh5ao1_540.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_ni5fwudmC51snjh5ao1_r1_540.png]
[Image: tumblr_ni5fwudmC51snjh5ao2_r1_540.jpg]
Welcome Tami to crimson dagger (i am new my self though), i think we have the same problem it is also hard for me to design characters(haha for me its really hard to design anything). maybe you already know this but using existing animals is one way to create creature design and you can just exaggerate some of the parts or even mix with other animals.

your studies here are nice, the shape is there maybe you can try to be more bold with the shadow (can put darker shadow on some parts like on the place when hand touching the neck you can put darker in between) just some random tips.

and lets improve together :D
sorry for my english @_@

Hi Insbox, and welcome!

Your English is quite excellent, good on you for mastering another language! (I can't even hold a conversation in Spanish with a three-year-old)

I do a lot of work off of references: animals, plants, etc. I have a hard time conceptualizing beyond the reference, though. It's something I need to work on, though I'm not exactly sure how.

Value studies are something I've only recently started looking at, I need much more practice! Thanks for the tips :D
tamiveldura - haha mastering language its hard, i think i only able to have a basic conversation.
and one more thing, it will be awesome to learn rendering from basic shape first. its easier to tackle.

hoping to see more of your designs (in the future maybe)