poyou's scribbles
Question 
Yo people!

I'm Pauline and i have been working on my own little rat hole for a little too long now ! I' have been drawing for like 2 years on and off and since a few months i'm kicking my butt to get better and find a job in concept art which is my dream job.
So yeah, here i am, i hope i will find people here to exchange thoughts and advises about drawing.

Enough blabla, here is my last work, a kind of grumpy dwarf named arun, who work for a very old dragon. Im' trying to work on my values, because my rendering skills are very weak, and i think it's one big part of the problem. So my plan is get to understand, values, form & anatomy better before to get back to rendering and color /texturing.
All opinions and critics are welcome   Blushing

for those interested here is my tumblr where i post digital work :)

http://p-oli.tumblr.com/
Wow, i looked at your blog. you've got a lot awesome stuffs, hope i can see more of your stuffs and the process on the sb. By the way welcome to crimson dagger

thank you insbox :) i will keep posting one thing a day it's my own little challenge
Heya pauline ! welcome to Crimson daggers ,I saw your blog and you make some good caricatured faces. hope to see more in here.

may i ask , have you been to any art school or are you just self taught? im asking , cos im also 2 years into this art journey , im curious as to how it has been for you this past 2 years , its ok if you dont like to answer.

(07-25-2015, 04:45 PM)KurtJeremy Wrote: Heya pauline ! welcome to Crimson daggers ,I saw your blog and you make some good caricatured faces. hope to see more in here.

may i ask , have you been to any art school or are you just self taught? im asking , cos im also 2 years into this art journey , im curious as to how it has been for you this past 2 years , its ok if you dont like to answer.

hey thank you:) 
I  haven't been to any art school i'm self taught, i'm lucky to have quite a few friends already into concept art, i learnt a lot from them.  This past 2 years have been difficult because i went through difficult stages, but now i'm digging out my way, and since a few months i have found a little work routine so it's better :)
But overall lots of russian mountains, lots of painful moments where you doubt of everything, and lots of happy moments when you finally understand little pieces in the ocean of problems you fight in drawing.
Hope I have answered enough :)  I believe we all pass through this process and it's important keep having fun and be patient!
Hey Pauline, welcome to the Daggers :)
I checked out your tumblr and I think your work is great! I love your lines, they show you have a strong understanding of form and structures,  and your character designs are fun.

Some advice another Dagger gave me when learning values, was to study from black and white photography and to do short little studies (maybe like 10-15 minutes). Focus on the main big shapes of light and dark, trying to capture the impression of light. If the photo was a portrait, I didn't worry too much about it looking like them in the end.

I also found it helpful to use a 9-step value scale (Colorus 1 comes with an adjustable scale) and this kept all my values simple and unified, so I wasn't getting too much variety. Also, beforehand I would take a minute to look at the photo and write down what number I thought each value might be. After I finished the study, I would check to see how I'd done. It's amazing how your eye can play tricks on you haha.

Looking forward to seeing more work and thanks for stopping by my sb the other day :)

(07-26-2015, 04:49 AM)lungcell Wrote: Hey Pauline, welcome to the Daggers :)
I checked out your tumblr and I think your work is great! I love your lines, they show you have a strong understanding of form and structures,  and your character designs are fun.

Some advice another Dagger gave me when learning values, was to study from black and white photography and to do short little studies (maybe like 10-15 minutes). Focus on the main big shapes of light and dark, trying to capture the impression of light. If the photo was a portrait, I didn't worry too much about it looking like them in the end.

I also found it helpful to use a 9-step value scale (Colorus 1 comes with an adjustable scale) and this kept all my values simple and unified, so I wasn't getting too much variety. Also, beforehand I would take a minute to look at the photo and write down what number I thought each value might be. After I finished the study, I would check to see how I'd done. It's amazing how your eye can play tricks on you haha.

Looking forward to seeing more work and thanks for stopping by my sb the other day :) 

Hella! thank you for checking my tumblr and thread ! I will try this week the value exercise you advise me! and then try to apply to a new character, i think i will work on some fanart from joe the barbarian Comic book ( you read it ? it's awesome!)  I will post upload few sketches of my sketch book today as well ! thank you again lungcell
i've updated my tumblr with some sketchbook pages because the pictures were to big to be post here : http://p-oli.tumblr.com/ will be back with some studies and rough new characters soon!
Heey man. Love your value sketches. Try to keep more attention to structure. some of those sketche seems broken. side of that awesome work. hope to see more ;3

(07-27-2015, 11:49 PM)ramalooke Wrote: Heey man. Love your value sketches. Try to keep more attention to structure. some of those sketche seems broken. side of that awesome work. hope to see more ;3

Yo :) Thanks i'll try to be more structured i'm struggling with all the subjects i have to understand at the moment ! Uncertain
I'll post more soon, i just had the time for a little study and i will post sketchbook values tom' !  
[Image: tumblr_ns5umo8ZfA1tktzc6o1_1280.jpg]
daaamn, those sketchbook pages on your tumblr are great. I like how you're experimenting with different line thickness and colours, they look like illustrations for fashion magazines. For structure, maybe try studying simple boxes and balls in perspective? I find that helps, so you can see "through" the drawing and around the contours of shapes, like in this Kim JungGi demo. looking forward to more updates :D

(I looked up joe the barbarian too, and i'll try to read some of it :) I didn't know about sean murphy's artwork, it's fantastic!)

(07-30-2015, 08:18 PM)lungcell Wrote: daaamn, those sketchbook pages on your tumblr are great. I like how you're experimenting with different line thickness and colours, they look like illustrations for fashion magazines. For structure, maybe try studying simple boxes and balls in perspective? I find that helps, so you can see "through" the drawing and around the contours of shapes, like in this Kim JungGi demo. looking forward to more updates :D

(I looked up joe the barbarian too, and i'll try to read some of it :) I didn't know about sean murphy's artwork, it's fantastic!)

Yeah you're totally right lungcell i think i'm always too flat and still not getting the volumes yet! i will try to do those exercises.  In love kim jung jiii he's a kind of god.
Here is a little fanart of Jack in Joe the barbarian. i really digged this story for those who haven't read it it's  a story about a kid hallucinating ( diabete illness) a whole fantasy world travel amongst his toys in his house.

[Image: tumblr_nstxxy8VbS1tktzc6o1_1280.jpg]