A Windy Sketchbook
Hello everybody. I'm really new to art, pretty much starting from square one, so here's a sketchbook to document my progress, and get some feedback.

Waiting on some better pencils that I ordered to come in, so for now using what I have, a mechanical pencil. Also ordered a book and I'm waiting for that to come in too. So for now, I found a picture of some apples and a picture of a banana for references. First time using my printer's scanner ever, so that was interesting. Lost a bit of the shading I did. Only like my second or third time ever drawing from a photo or life.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello and welcome to Crimson Daggers! Wonderful beginning. How interesting that your sketchbook should begin with the fertile and interesting fruit!

I hope that your progress is 'fruitful'. Grin

Don't worry about using a mechanical pencil-- Just learn to use it as a tool. Have fun with it. Try using crosshatching instead of more smooth shades/tones. Also, feel free to use a pen! A pen forces us to be careful about the lines we're putting down.

You've done a great job of getting the contours and outlines of the forms!

Keep working hard, and you're gonna be awesome!

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!
Usually I'm good at seeing puns coming... Meh Not this time...

Anyways, thank you Happy I do have some pens around from when I practiced some lines a few months ago. I'll give those a shot. And I'll definitely give crosshatching a shot next time.

Decided to step way out of my comfort zone and gave some skulls a shot. They weren't quite as bad as I thought they would be, but still really tricky.

Attached Files Image(s)

Yeah, nice progress with those skulls! I always find that the more intimidating something seems, the more fun it is to try out. Looking at complex architecture, for example-- Seems daunting. But, when you get right down to it, taking it one line at a time, you really find it to be relaxing and fun!

Remember to apply what you learn, if you can. Try it piece-by-piece, if you have difficulty. For example, when drawing these skulls, try applying it from memory by drawing the head. Then drawing the eyes. Check your work, and try again. Repetition, muscle memory, and regular memory are all important!

You're gonna do great! Just keep working at it. Thumbs_up

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!