How do you decide how much to charge for an illustration?
Hey guys:)
I hope I'm writing on the right subforum.

I got asked to illustrate the fashion book of a famous designer in my country (Bulgaria). 
However, I am really struggling with deciding how much I should charge. 
When I open the websites of some illustrators, drawings as the ones I need to do go like 150-200$ each. But for I book I would have to do a lot more than just one. And that would be a looooot of money.. which is fine for me but would anyone pay that much? 

People also suggested that I charge 30-60$ per hour which again seems way way way too much.
After all I live in Bulgaria and for example a salary of 2000 euro here is something extremely good and not many people get paid that much. Should I also consider that factor? Because on the other hand, work is work, no matter where you do it.

here is an example of an illustration similar to what I would have to do maybe
http://i.imgur.com/RDPGupu.jpg

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this. I would appreciate any advice!

Hey maggie,

Well done in getting the client's interest first of all.

You have a ballpark figure (150-200 per piece) charged by other artists which is good for reference but you have to figure out your own absolute minimum rate. What is the minimum you would want to work for given your own living expenses etc? This can either be an hourly rate which you use to calculate a flat fee per drawing.
I usually use an hourly rate to calculate a flat fee per piece, but I do one-off illustrations mostly.

Would anyone pay that much?
For those relatively simple drawings, 150-200 is a very healthy rate. Whether someone will pay totally depends on their budget.
You should ask your client what their budget is. If it falls healthily at or above your minimum rate, then you should be fine to negotiate a contract.

If they don't want to tell you their budget (which is not being very honest to start with anyway) then give them a rate you are comfortable with. Don't lowball it too much up front. If they are a "famous designer" then they should be willing to pay decent rates. If they don't, well then you don't really want them as a client unless you really are desperate or really want to do the work.

The country your clients are in may have some impact on what they would be willing to pay, but I'd say since you calculated your own minimum rate and they live in your country this will take that into account.

The attitude to think about this really should stem from what you think is fair for your work, not how much should you charge to get a particular client. The first takes your needs into account, the second smacks of desperation.

Hope that helps.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Thanks so much for the detailed response Amit, it's very helpful.
They indeed didn't want to tell me their budged, instead they asked me to name a price and 'we'll see what we can do about it'. Which really made me wonder.

Anyway, we will meet and discuss exactly how many drawings they need and from that I will think of a proper hour rate.
Thank you again, I greatly appreciate your answer!

no problem. Typical. They want to hold the power, but you need to just realise that they don't.
Unless you really really really want the gig, just give them an honest price....if they don't like it, F*(&*& 'em and don't look back. There are way better clients out there :)

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta