Matt's sketchbook
Hi Matt,
Nice sketchbook so far. That pencil drawing looks good. I think the problem with the tablet has to do with the proportional difference between the tablet and your monitor. That tablet has 16:10 ratio and most widescreen monitors are 16:9 aspect ratio. That difference can cause weird responses when you draw a seemingly straight line. My tablet is 4:3 and my monitor is 16:9, so I have to check the "force proportions" checkbox in the tablet settings to get accurate lines when I draw. I included an image to show what I mean. Forcing proportions does make a part of the tablet unusable, but the increased accuracy is definitely a worthwhile trade. Hope this solves your problem, and keep up the good work.

-Sketchbook-
"... for drawing is a thinking person's art." - Walt Stanchfield.
Thanks for the reply Javier. As it turns out, I didn't have forced proportions on. I've enabled it, but am still having the same issue.
Hmm... the only other way for me to emulate the results you are getting is by setting my stylus to 'mouse mode' instead of 'pen mode'. With that setting (mouse mode) even lines drawn with a straight edge are wobbly. If your stylus is already set to pen mode then rolling back your driver would be your best bet for getting good results. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

-Sketchbook-
"... for drawing is a thinking person's art." - Walt Stanchfield.
I just tried rolling back the driver, with no success. None the less, thanks for the help. Ticking off possible problems. Looks like I'll be using paper for a while :)
Righty'o. So it turned out that my tablet had a hardware problem. I went out and bought a shiny new one a few days ago. I started this pretty much when the old tablet decided to die, and only just finished it now. Spent quite a while on this one.

Things I learnt:
  • Heads are hard
  • Hands are hard
  • Edges are hard
  • Colour is hard
  • Everything is hard
  • Sargent was a beast

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello. I have a question. What are these studies for? what do you try to obtain from them?
A few things. Primarily trying to improve my eye for colour. Also just drawing practice, and getting used to using a tablet. And just to draw regularly; better do to something than nothing.
Some arms from today/ yesterday.

Attached Files Image(s)

Oh hey folks.

So, I'm still alive and kicking and making stuff. I haven't had the knack to do much digital lately. I kind of kept asking myself "Why am I doing these paintings?" to which I hadn't really an answer. I think at the moment I'm just doing these because its fun to paint.

I'm doing a year of the art school thing. Havin' fun making stuff, nothing too serious though. I might chuck up some oils I've done for class some time, but not this evening. 

More stuff to come. Cheers

These are pretty big, but when painting them, they only took up a small portion of the screen, so that's why they're so "blurry"

Attached Files Image(s)

Master studies can be difficult, considering they are masters at what they do and everything seems difficult to recreate. But keep at it, it'll make you better!
From what i see your anatomy studies are looking good, from an anatomical point of view. Your landscapes too. Look closer at your values, they are not as bold as the ones from your Sargent study from post 25 for example. Go all the way to white and black, not just grays. But use them wisely.

Lets see some more studies! :D

Oh hey. Here's a wee lil' Bierstadt that I couldn't bring myself to finish.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice diligence. I'd recommend you pay a bit more attention to edges when you do your landscape studies. Lots of loose edges and blurriness in your stuff, which could be sorted with some choice hard edges to contrast against. Squint your eyes at the original. This will help you determine which edges are the strongest to accentuate

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Thanks Amit. When I paint landscapes next, I think I'll stick to just value, and work on cleaning up those edges. 

Lately I've been having fun just watching animated films and drawing character expressions. Been having a good bit of fun with that. Also, here's some pages from my sketchbook. Just some doodles.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi all, long time no post.
I've been rather busy this year, and haven't made the time to post anything. (could also be phrased as, I'm lazy.)
Fear not though, because I haven't died, nor have I stopped making stuff. Here are the highlights from 4 or 5 sketch books, plus some recent digital.

Cheers

Attached Files Image(s)

More stuff. Little application. Takes me a while to get one done, but I hope to upload something every 3-4 days, plus a few pages of sketchbook every now and then. Any feed back or criticism would be appreciated.

Attached Files Image(s)

More photo study
blue for daaays

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow, great improvement Matt. All your drawings look so dynamic and lively. Can't really say anything else except to keep on pracitcing to get even better : )

@Noodle  Hey thanks, I appreciate it. Ah yes. The thing is to not stop

Today and yesterdays efforts

Attached Files Image(s)

mountains & a wip study I decided not to finsih

Attached Files Image(s)

paintin

Attached Files Image(s)